Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch General Discussion

I have another question. I will put it in a spoiler as I am not sure if it would classify as such.

There is a merit award in the last tier that is supposed to raise your chance to tame familiars by 20%. Does anybody know how that is implemented? For example, If you have a base 10% chance of taming the familiar, after the skill is applied would you have 30% or 12%? If it is the former, then maybe catching 250 different species won't be so bad :)

Why does the world map suck so badly in this game. If I am flying or sailing I can only see the world map. Well that map is utterly worthless when trying to find bounties because they disapear. So to find the bounty I have to land and look on the smaller map and then take off again. Why couldn't they have let me switch between smaller and bigger map in the air/sea.

Also why can't I check my Journal when flying, once again I have to land and then check it and take off again. It is an extra step that doesn't need to be in the game.

Finally why is nothing labeled on the world map. I'm sorry, I haven't memorized what every spot is called and it makes it really hard to do so when it isn't labeled. How hard would it have been to have little names over areas that you have been too already.

It still is an amazing game, but the world map fiasco has lowered the score quite a lot in my opinion just because it takes a lot of the fun out of exploring and it could have been fixed so easily.

Bee, its the situation where you are left with a 12% from a 10%. Grinding for 250 species isn't that bad in the first place, since it counts every unique familiar you've had, including evolutions. You're going to find that you're more likely to take longer to get that trophy because of needing drops or needing to level your familiars rather than actually catching new ones (unless you purposefully don't catch familiars when you get the chance).

Why does the world map suck so badly in this game. If I am flying or sailing I can only see the world map. Well that map is utterly worthless when trying to find bounties because they disapear. So to find the bounty I have to land and look on the smaller map and then take off again. Why couldn't they have let me switch between smaller and bigger map in the air/sea.

Honestly, the game already holds your hand enough as it is. Having to actually explore or check your Wizard's Companion for where things are located isn't really that bad. Also, you sound against exploring, since you seem to want to have an automatic guide to know where to go for every little thing. Although I agree about the journal part. There's no reason they shouldn't have allowed you to check it while traveling.

Also why can't I check my Journal when flying, once again I have to land and then check it and take off again. It is an extra step that doesn't need to be in the game.

Finally why is nothing labeled on the world map. I'm sorry, I haven't memorized what every spot is called and it makes it really hard to do so when it isn't labeled. How hard would it have been to have little names over areas that you have been too already.

It still is an amazing game, but the world map fiasco has lowered the score quite a lot in my opinion just because it takes a lot of the fun out of exploring and it could have been fixed so easily.

I must say the only of those that actually bothers me is the journal aspect. It does seem odd that I cannot check my menu while flying.

As for the bounty, just look before you take off if you really need to fly from one to the other? There are only a select few that you actually have to fly between, and they are fairly obvious if you use the map as an actual map and not depending on waypoints. The maps are both detailed enough that you can navigate without needing to be guided by a shining light.

As for locations, there are only 3-6 that you actually need to remember? I never thought that was a big enough world to warrant constant guidance.

Bee, its the situation where you are left with a 12% from a 10%. Grinding for 250 species isn't that bad in the first place, since it counts every unique familiar you've had, including evolutions. You're going to find that you're more likely to take longer to get that trophy because of needing drops or needing to level your familiars rather than actually catching new ones (unless you purposefully don't catch familiars when you get the chance).

Thanks for this answer. Since it is such a minor increase, I think I will go for the other awards first.

It is not that I need constant guidance, it is just when asked to go to the Rolling hills I don't remember where the rolling hills were (because it was from the begining of the game) so if that spot on the map was labeled as Rolling Hills I could fly straight there. Instead I need to land and see if that part is labeled as such and then take off again.

Also when a game as so much hidden treasures/bounties/missions and expects you to complete them all, then give a better map system. if I can switch between my small map and large map when on the ground, it just makes sense to be able to switch when I am in the air.

Finally let's pretend you really are Oliver going on an adventure. Wouldn't you label your map? I don't understand why games don't give you this option. I loved in the DS Zelda games beacuse I was able to label my map, so I knew I needed to go back somewhere for a treasure or hidden room. Why not give me that option here. I don't remember where all the purple chests are and now I need to use a walkthrough online to find them all. To me that takes the fun out of the game and lessens the fun of exploring. Because remember loving to explore doesn't mean playing the whole game again, because the game has a broken map system.

So in the end it is all about simple convenience. Just let me label my map the way I want to and allow me to use both the world and mini map in the air/water as I can on land. Don't defend a game for having faults, if a game has problems they should be addressed so that the developers hopefully don't make those same mistakes over again.

It is not that I need constant guidance, it is just when asked to go to the Rolling hills I don't remember where the rolling hills were (because it was from the begining of the game) so if that spot on the map was labeled as Rolling Hills I could fly straight there. Instead I need to land and see if that part is labeled as such and then take off again.

Also when a game as so much hidden treasures/bounties/missions and expects you to complete them all, then give a better map system. if I can switch between my small map and large map when on the ground, it just makes sense to be able to switch when I am in the air.

Finally let's pretend you really are Oliver going on an adventure. Wouldn't you label your map? I don't understand why games don't give you this option. I loved in the DS Zelda games beacuse I was able to label my map, so I knew I needed to go back somewhere for a treasure or hidden room. Why not give me that option here. I don't remember where all the purple chests are and now I need to use a walkthrough online to find them all. To me that takes the fun out of the game and lessens the fun of exploring. Because remember loving to explore doesn't mean playing the whole game again, because the game has a broken map system.

So in the end it is all about simple convenience. Just let me label my map the way I want to and allow me to use both the world and mini map in the air/water as I can on land. Don't defend a game for having faults, if a game has problems they should be addressed so that the developers hopefully don't make those same mistakes over again.

All that makes sense, and I can see why you may want it, I was just saying that it didn't bother me :)

Tokotoko is the best monster I have found to get experience.

It is just outside what I think it the final city (perdia). You can walk in and out of the city until you see one walking around on the map (they are the dark green creatures, kind of pudgy and hold a staff). Once you see one, use veil (the spell you get from horace in the city), and sneak up on it. It will try to run away almost immediately, so you need to all out attack with everyone you have. If you manage to kill one (there are sometimes 2 in the fight) you will get just over 8 000 experience per one you kill. Nothing I have seen as of yet (including bosses) even compares. I used it to get my new monsters to max level before I metamorphose them.

Tokotoko is the best monster I have found to get experience.

It is just outside what I think it the final city (perdia). You can walk in and out of the city until you see one walking around on the map (they are the dark green creatures, kind of pudgy and hold a staff). Once you see one, use veil (the spell you get from horace in the city), and sneak up on it. It will try to run away almost immediately, so you need to all out attack with everyone you have. If you manage to kill one (there are sometimes 2 in the fight) you will get just over 8 000 experience per one you kill. Nothing I have seen as of yet (including bosses) even compares. I used it to get my new monsters to max level before I metamorphose them.

Exactly what i just did... i went from level 48 to level 60 in a matter of a few hours...

i heard from a friend that there is another version of it later in the game that drops over 20k of XP

• Like 1

Exactly what i just did... i went from level 48 to level 60 in a matter of a few hours...

i heard from a friend that there is another version of it later in the game that drops over 20k of XP

Wow, I guess that would make grinding late game very easy :). Give you a great way to get your final team of familiars up to snuff very fast. Also it would help with getting 250 species, as you can level them up in just a few fights.

Edited by Sir_Bee

Wow, I guess that would make grinding late game very easy :). Give you a great way to get your final team of familiars up to snuff very fast. Also it would help with getting 250 species, as you can level them up in just a few fights.

the suggested level for the end game is around 60 (suggestion comes right out of the strat guide). so in my current state in theory i should be able to do the end game battle... but im not all that close to the end of the game to be honest, lol Im done grinding for a bit and im going to work on some side quests and main story for a while.

the suggested level for the end game is around 60 (suggestion comes right out of the strat guide). so in my current state in theory i should be able to do the end game battle... but im not all that close to the end of the game to be honest, lol Im done grinding for a bit and im going to work on some side quests and main story for a while.

By "late game" I meant "post game", but thanks for the advice :)

Edited by Sir_Bee

Good luck :)

Thanks much.

29 left, but no Star Drops.

Luckily, I don't have work for another 3:30 hours, but I'm also hoping that this "huge blizzard" doesn't put out the power, being that I'd already lost playtime last weekend due to a power outage. =/

EDIT:

Platinum, get!

Time: 82:39:30.

Lucky too, as the weather has gotten to horrendous levels in the past hour -- and I have to leave for work. xD

Edited by KitsuneChaos
  • Like 2

Congratulations on the platinum. What was your favorite part of the game, if you don't mind me asking?

Parker

Can't really say.

If anything, it'd be the ability to complete everything without that feel that I'm really grinding away at quests and whatnot.

Most JRPGs give you that feeling that you're running around in circles; that feeling of repetitiveness. This did not.

I have a suggestion for anyone trying to grind out exp as quickly as possible.

I know that tokotocold in the ivory tower gives out 3 times as much experience as the tokotoko from billy goats bluff, but I would argue it is a slower process to grind at. Tokotoko is much more common, and I get through more then 3 fights with him before I get through one with tokotocold. So from a strict numbers point of view, I would say grinding on Billy Goats Bluff is the best place in the game.

I also have a question, is there any way to make forage points respawn faster. Do they take 10 minutes in game time, or is there a way to travel somewhere that will make the respawn like enemies. I am trying to find the best way to collect snowflakes so I can make the final flan and get one of my familiars to max familiarity. If anyone else knows a faster top tier treat to make, feel free to let me know how you gathered the materials. The only one I cannot use is pie.

Anyone else catch the Zero Punctuation review for Ni No Kuni?

Normally I find myself agreeing with him, or at least some sliver of such, but this time around I just feel as though he took an extremely lazy approach to even playing the game.

I have a suggestion for anyone trying to grind out exp as quickly as possible.

I know that tokotocold in the ivory tower gives out 3 times as much experience as the tokotoko from billy goats bluff, but I would argue it is a slower process to grind at. Tokotoko is much more common, and I get through more then 3 fights with him before I get through one with tokotocold. So from a strict numbers point of view, I would say grinding on Billy Goats Bluff is the best place in the game.

Actually, for a much faster area within that department:

might I suggest the area right before the council's room. There's a save point and Familiar Reserve, so you can just swap them out when you're done. And that seems to be the area with a high EXP gain monster grouping, as well as the most common space for Tokocold.

Anyone else catch the Zero Punctuation review for Ni No Kuni?

Normally I find myself agreeing with him, or at least some sliver of such, but this time around I just feel as though he took an extremely lazy approach to even playing the game.

Actually, for a much faster area within that department:

might I suggest the area right before the council's room. There's a save point and Familiar Reserve, so you can just swap them out when you're done. And that seems to be the area with a high EXP gain monster grouping, as well as the most common space for Tokocold.

I did see the Zero Punctuation review. I actually agree with his complaints. The game really does hold your hand way to much, and it is still doing so at the very end. If you aren't used to it, the battle system is quite confusing. It is a weird mix of both turn based and real time. There have been so many times when I could not defend fast enough because I had to cycle through a bunch of commands rather then just hit one button to block. He brings up many valid complaints about the game, and they make it so he does not like what he played. I have the same complaints, and yet I still loved the game. That is just a difference of opinion, and does not make either person wrong. So I am going to have to disagree with you about him taking a lazy approach to the game.

As for your suggestion about grinding:

I was comparing it to that section of the ivory tower in my initial point. From trying out both areas, I found that I encountered Tokotoko (~8000 exp Billy Goats Bluff) more then 3 times more often then Tokotocold (~24 000 exp Ivory Tower). Also, Tokotoko has 2 of them once in every 5 fights or so. This means that I gathered much more experience on Billy Goats Bluff then I did from the Ivory Tower. People can feel free to grind anywhere they chose, I was just passing along what I found with my game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow gamer's. I stumbled upon this game while searching for RPG's in the PSN store so I downloaded the demo to give it a try. omg, this game is fantastic. It's not the usual type of games I play but this is the exception. Ordered it from Amazon and can't wait to get my hands on it. An utter gem