New vs old soundtrack

I now the game comes with a new soundtrack that is like a remix of the old songs with 7.1 sound, and you can get the old soundtrack with the limited edition.

So is the new soundtrack good or do you still like the old songs more and are they in 7.1 to?

I liked the old soundtrack years ago but I don't now if It is worth giving 10€ more if the new soundtrack is better

Edited by chellesan

It's not a remix. They re-recorded the entire soundtrack with a real orchestra. The arrangements remain 99,9% the same, except everything sounds organic now. It's referred to as "reorchestrated" in the options menu.

Two variations of the original soundtrack exists:

• The first one is what you actually heard in the PS2 release. It's played back using the consoles sound chip. This is included with every copy of the game.
  • The second one is a higher quality MIDI production, which was released as the actual soundtrack in stores back in the day. This is the DLC that comes with the Steelbook edition of the game.

My two cents: the new reorchestrated version is infinitely better. Same arrangements, real orchestra. Everything sounds like you remember it, even if that's only your mind playing tricks on you since it never actually sounded this good.

13 hours ago, Leenewbe said:

if listening to the ffx versions is anything to go by, i actually prefer listening to the original ps2 soundtracks but i'll have to wait till i pick it up to truly make up my mind.

While I personally prefer the updated soundtrack in Final Fantasy X HD Remaster, I do understand why some may not. Not all of the new tracks stayed true to the original arrangements.

But that is not the case this time around. The reorchestrated soundtrack sticks to the original arrangements 99,9% of the time with only a few minor deviations, none of which really changes the overall impression of the recordings. So I'd argue that most people will be extremely pleased with what they've done here. Sakimoto's compositions were truly too good to remain in MIDI-format. The live orchestra does them justice.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:30 AM, Virdeborn said:

While I personally prefer the updated soundtrack in Final Fantasy X HD Remaster, I do understand why some may not. Not all of the new tracks stayed true to the original arrangements.

But that is not the case this time around. The reorchestrated soundtrack sticks to the original arrangements 99,9% of the time with only a few minor deviations, none of which really changes the overall impression of the recordings. So I'd argue that most people will be extremely pleased with what they've done here. Sakimoto's compositions were truly too good to remain in MIDI-format. The live orchestra does them justice.

I;'m sorry but I did try the reorchestrated tracks and I just couldn't. It just lacked everything the original tracks did and I physically could not bring myself to listen to them after an hour or two. 

I'm curious. What exactly did they lack, in your opinion? I mean, they're 99% the same arrangements but with real instruments. The only major difference I can think of is that the original MIDI versions sound digital and automated. If you prefer that to the dynamic and organic vibe that comes with actual people playing instruments, that's totally cool. Outside of technical limitations in regards to older video game music, I think Hans Zimmer has played a big part in people enjoying a more digital and mechanic orchestra sound. But I really cannot think of how these tracks could possibly sound any better with real instruments played by real people? Especially not if you're someone who appreciates the Distant World concerts and such.