Question about Yojimbo

TenebraZero

Hi guys, soon i 'll have complete the entire grid and i'll start to hunt down all the dark eons. To save a lot of time i prefer to Zanmato em all , so i have to start a grind regarding raise up affinity with Yojimbo. According to the guide i must use Zanmato , Wakizashi etc. against mob a number of time untill i touch 255 but i have a question: if i use grand evocation with Yuna and use Yojimbo skills (without using money) my affinity raise up or i MUST pay him in order to raise up? I hope to be clear. 

32 minutes ago, UItimate_Battler said:

Hi guys, soon i 'll have complete the entire grid and i'll start to hunt down all the dark eons. To save a lot of time i prefer to Zanmato em all , so i have to start a grind regarding raise up affinity with Yojimbo. According to the guide i must use Zanmato , Wakizashi etc. against mob a number of time untill i touch 255 but i have a question: if i use grand evocation with Yuna and use Yojimbo skills (without using money) my affinity raise up or i MUST pay him in order to raise up? I hope to be clear. 

From what I recall, using Yuna's grand summon still means you must pay Yojimbo, otherwise he'll just leave.

You still have to pay him regardless. Grand summon for affinity grinding isn't worth it because you'll waste an entire overdrive bar for 1 skill. If you summon him and he does a free skill without you having to pay him however, affinity increases more than the normal amount iirc.

17 minutes ago, Griffon234 said:

You still have to pay him regardless. Grand summon for affinity grinding isn't worth it because you'll waste an entire overdrive bar for 1 skill. If you summon him and he does a free skill without you having to pay him however, affinity increases more than the normal amount iirc.

In other word, if i use grand summon does not mean he use the skill for free every time? i just asking because i have used grand summon 1 time only and he unleashed wakizashi istantly without paying a single gil. If every time he use the skill for free it's better to waste an overdrive because i can fill up the overdrive with yuna pretty fast using double cast with curaga.

Edited by UItimate_Battler

23 minutes ago, UItimate_Battler said:

In other word, if i use grand summon does not mean he use the skill for free every time? i just asking because i have used grand summon 1 time only and he unleashed wakizashi istantly without paying a single gil. If every time he use the skill for free it's better to waste an overdrive because i can fill up the overdrive with yuna pretty fast using double cast with curaga.

Just summon him in every random battle and pay him 1000gil each time, do it enough times and he'll start doing attacks for free, even Zanmato. I even had him do a couple of Zanmato for me for free on a couple of Dark Aeons. The more you use him the more likely it is he'll throw you a freebie.

1 hour ago, UItimate_Battler said:

Correct, and while I guess that's true about Yuna's OD, there's no real point recharging it when you can simply summon him in random battles and grind affinity by giving 1024 gil over and over, as long as he doesn't die or use Daigoro/Dismiss, you will gain affinity.

Edited by Griffon234

There's 5 things that determine if he'll Zanmato. Compatibility, if he has a full od gauge, how much you pay him, the enemies "zanmato level" and a random # that is determined during the algorithm. These things all culminate into his "motivation" stat.

Compatibility and a full OD gauge only account for 10 motivation. You need 80 to Zanmato. The biggest chunk will always come from payment and the random #.

The Zanmato level portion is also kind of a crap shoot. The bigger the gap between what you pay and how much gil you have, the more Zanmato level screws you. Say you pay him 100,000 while having 10mil, it'll actually drop how much your compatibility contributes to motivation from 8 to 6. And that's if you answered his question right when you hired him. But at the same time, it can also increase your compatibility contribution a few points if your money gap isn't too big and you gave the right responses earlier.

Honestly, the best you can hope for is to get you motivation stat in the 45 - 50 range through payment and compatibilty and pray that the random addition brings you up to 80. Which it will over half the time if your around 50.

I know this all sounds confusing but here's a link to an exceptional guide on the subject. I've used that guide a ton over the years. It goes into a lot more depth than I ever could.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/197344-final-fantasy-x/faqs/18486

Edit : Guess I should've gone into the freebies too. With max compatibility, he'll freebie Zanmato about 25% of the time. This is a very nice option since it's infinitely cheaper, but it takes WAY more compatibility grinding and still needs twice as much luck. But also a lot less gil grinding.

I think doing it the other way is a much better method but there's nothing wrong with going this route.

Edit 2 : That's a ton of info so I'll put it in simple terms lol.

150 compatibility + full OD + paying 1.05 million gil = roughly 50% chance of Zanmato

255 compatibility = 25% chance of free Zanmato

Don't know why I didn't just say this in the first place lol.

Edited by KingGuy420

I used Zanmato to kill all Dark Yojimboes I think. I wonder if I killed one "legit" using all the other aeons for this. You should start out with the most risky stuff, less backtracking if it doesn't work, and then go for the more safe stuff.

First off, you can get 2 pretty much guaranteed ones through Yojimbo limit break and Yuna limit break, so those two might be saved for last?

You may want to waste all your other aeons fighting the first legit?

That leaves 2 you gotta do with luck. If you answered correctly on the questions before you got him, it shouldn't be too hard to get him to Zanmato with like some few thousand gil's bribe. Remember to check a table for exactly how much the gils affect the outcome, so you don't give like some few gils away from better chance or whatever. Getting a good relationship with Yojimbo isn't that much of a grind if you started out well with him. I had not done a lot of relationship raising with him to do this, and I made it in like 3 attempts or something.

Good luck.

• Like 1

If your magic/defense/m.defense/agility stats are 255 he's not hard to beat legit if Zanmato won't do it. Just have armor with auto haste / phoenix / shell / protect. Keep auto life on everybody. Then have everyone double cast flare or ultima when not casting auto life.

The biggest problem with the Yojimbo fight is that he can avoid most normal attacks and can randomly wipe your team. Using magic to attack and auto life to stay alive definitely negate the difficulty of the fight.

People will swear that you need luck and evasion to do it legit but that's just not true. I didn't farm a single luck sphere on mine.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25.9.2017 at 3:24 PM, KingGuy420 said:

If your magic/defense/m.defense/agility stats are 255 he's not hard to beat legit if Zanmato won't do it. Just have armor with auto haste / phoenix / shell / protect. Keep auto life on everybody. Then have everyone double cast flare or ultima when not casting auto life.

The biggest problem with the Yojimbo fight is that he can avoid most normal attacks and can randomly wipe your team. Using magic to attack and auto life to stay alive definitely negate the difficulty of the fight.

People will swear that you need luck and evasion to do it legit but that's just not true. I didn't farm a single luck sphere on mine.

You need Luck over 120 so he won't avoid any attack.

With the rest of 255 its just like a mob.

He's also the best way to farm a good armor with a Ribbon an 3 empty slots.

I fought over 20 times against him an got 2 Armors with Ribbon and 3 empty slots so the rest was easy. 

21 minutes ago, Durandart said:

You need Luck over 120 so he won't avoid any attack.

He won't avoid magic attacks anyways. Luck or not. That's why I recommended double cast spam instead of leveling luck and going physical.

I got my luck to 255 on all 7 characters back in the ps2 days so I was doing whatever I could to avoid grinding any luck this time lol.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 10:30 AM, UItimate_Battler said:

How much imprtant is luck in order to unleash Zanmato? I mean, i know affinity is very important but i don't know if luck rise the chance of use the ability.

You mean RNG luck or the stat? If done correctly, the Zanmato attack can hit pretty much whenever you want.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

He won't avoid magic attacks anyways. Luck or not. That's why I recommended double cast spam instead of leveling luck and going physical.

I got my luck to 255 on all 7 characters back in the ps2 days so I was doing whatever I could to avoid grinding any luck this time lol.

Yeah thats true, but (for me) it was easier to get Luck of 120 instead of Magic to 255 because this Pudding, for the Magic spheres sucks like hell.

At the end i had Magic around the 120 like luck and the rest 255, i never used magic in the end game xD

I mean the Stat, he needs the highst Luck stats for 100% hit. Doesen't matter if accuracy is on 255, without that luck you won't hit him.

I tested it with 118 luck and can't hit him xDD

Yeah but always count on yojinbo was to much RNG and luck for me, with all stats on 255 and luck 120 its pretty cool to fight against these Black Aeons.

And after the first Yojinbo fight (which is always an ambush) its pretty easy, its even possible to save :D

So you can farm an Special equip like i said, always retry the last fight (if you did'nt get one before)

Because for Ribbon you need 99 Dark Matter, 2 times is easy but 3 times is a lot of work so i prefered this way.

And for 100% Zanmato, back on the PS2 days you need to pay Yojinbo a lot of Gil before he was always doing that. Nearly 100Mio when i remember correctly.

Edited by Durandart

On 24/10/2017 at 8:43 AM, MMDE said:

You mean RNG luck or the stat? If done correctly, the Zanmato attack can hit pretty much whenever you want.

That's not a problem anymore, i've beated him 5 time in a row without using zanmato a single time. Double cast Flare with auto life on every character, that's all you need.

Edited by UItimate_Battler
  • Like 1