Game thoughts?

Oobedoob S Benubi

I see this game has been out for two years on PS4/Vita, I just noticed it as it's being released on the Switch (€17,99).

So apparently most people agree that it's a good MetroidVania game. How would you all describe it exactly, and would you recommend it to people who usually don't play MetroidVania games?

• Like 1

hey Bill, i played it and i liked it very much. I don't think the game is hard, BUT all speed runs online abused of bugs and glitches that have been patched in the ps4 version so i couldn't perform the same tricks. The game really rewards exploring around and i found the plot very interesting. If you never played metroidvania before that would be a nice start. (really? never played before? not even played castlevania symphony of the night?) Oh and THE SOUNDTRACK.... is something!! ?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BG_painter said:

hey Bill, i played it and i liked it very much. I don't think the game is hard, BUT all speed runs online abused of bugs and glitches that have been patched in the ps4 version so i couldn't perform the same tricks. The game really rewards exploring around and i found the plot very interesting. If you never played metroidvania before that would be a nice start. (really? never played before? not even played castlevania symphony of the night?) Oh and THE SOUNDTRACK.... is something!! 1f44d.png

Thanks!

Well, I usually don't play MetroidVania but that's not to say I never play them. I like exploration games though and have played 2D MetroidVania games before (the (2.5D) Striker remake, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Blaster Master Zero and The Swapper come to mind) though I never played the 2D Metroid games, or MetroidVania Castlevania games (I loved Super Castlevania IV but it's linear).

Thanks for the info, I'll listen to the soundtrack today at work!

• Like 1

A LOT like Super Metroid. Rather than the game taking from the metroidvania genre as a whole, it takes from Super Metroid specifically. I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to anyone else. I would maybe also guess that it's a good game for people getting introduced to metroidvanias.

@BG_painter @olimoo101

@MosesRockefeller @angelgrievous (from the comments in the general Switch thread)

Thanks for all the input on Axiom Verge. I listened to part of the soundtrack today and I watched a bit of gameplay. It kind of looks like if the general theme of Another World was put in a MetroidVania game.

How would you all respond to the most negative of online user reviews, which state that the game is a blatant Metroid 1 clone with no ideas or improvements of its own?

I'm kind of tempted with buying it, I should first finish some more other games though, will try to do so this weekend as I'm fairly close to the end on a few different games. It's kind of weird that the game appeals to me at all, given how anti 8-bit I was just a year ago. Guess it helps that I can just Switch switch to a small screen on the Switch if the graphics aren't that amazing on a big television screen.

I'll let you all know what I do next week for sure.

• Like 1

It's one of my favorite games of the PS4 era, and certainly my favorite Metroid-like title that I've played. It doesn't add a ton to the genre (the use of glitching and whatnot isn't really as revolutionary as I had hoped), but it plays smooth as silk, with fantastic visuals and music. You can even use the Justin Bailey code in it for an end-game nostalgia trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

@BG_painter @olimoo101

@MosesRockefeller @angelgrievous (from the comments in the general Switch thread)

Thanks for all the input on Axiom Verge. I listened to part of the soundtrack today and I watched a bit of gameplay. It kind of looks like if the general theme of Another World was put in a MetroidVania game.

How would you all respond to the most negative of online user reviews, which state that the game is a blatant Metroid 1 clone with no ideas or improvements of its own?

I'm kind of tempted with buying it, I should first finish some more other games though, will try to do so this weekend as I'm fairly close to the end on a few different games. It's kind of weird that the game appeals to me at all, given how anti 8-bit I was just a year ago. Guess it helps that I can just Switch switch to a small screen on the Switch if the graphics aren't that amazing on a big television screen.

nice :)

i have to say, tho, i never played Metroid 1 so i can't really tell. My husband is an avid metroid fan i'll ask him. (heck his psn name is @Metroid-Prime) lol ?

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@BG_painter @olimoo101

Calling it a Metroid 1 clone is pretty dumb of those online user reviews (which just confirms my belief that user reviews are sometimes more worthless than certain "professional reviews" that are poorly done). If anything it's a Super Metroid clone. Even then I'd disagree. It's a clear Super Metroid homage (and it is proud of it) but it adds some cool new features. Anyway, since you said you haven't played the 2D Metroid games, so what if it is Metroid 1 with modern trappings? It would be a fresh experience to you since you haven't played Metroid 1. I played Axiom Verge after Metroid Zero Mission, Fusion, and Super Metroid, and I didn't think it was a boring clone of them. 

As an example, one thing it adds to the formula is way more weapons and tools. In fact, there are actually too many weapons in Axiom Verge. I think I only ever used about 5 of them. 

I highly recommend it. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Calling it a Metroid 1 clone is pretty dumb of those online user reviews (which just confirms my belief that user reviews are sometimes more worthless than certain "professional reviews" that are poorly done). If anything it's a Super Metroid clone. Even then I'd disagree. It's a clear Super Metroid homage (and it is proud of it) but it adds some cool new features. Anyway, since you said you haven't played the 2D Metroid games, so what if it is Metroid 1 with modern trappings? It would be a fresh experience to you since you haven't played Metroid 1. I played Axiom Verge after Metroid Zero Mission, Fusion, and Super Metroid, and I didn't think it was a boring clone of them. 

As an example, one thing it adds to the formula is way more weapons and tools. In fact, there are actually too many weapons in Axiom Verge. I think I only ever used about 5 of them. 

I highly recommend it. 

Yeah I wouldn't know if it was a clone of something (just like I didn't get that Dante's Inferno was a God Of War clone as I hadn't played God Of War at that point), I just wanted to know what your opinions on it were. No need to get angry about it :)

If it really was similar in every way then I'd probably be better off waiting on the VC, but as long as it is a different enough experience...

2 hours ago, olimoo101 said:

I played it on Vita. Looked great.

Yeah, handheld screens are good at making 8-bit to 64-bit classic and retro games seem still nice.

33 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I wouldn't know if it was a clone of something (just like I didn't get that Dante's Inferno was a God Of War clone as I hadn't played God Of War at that point), I just wanted to know what your opinions on it were. No need to get angry about it :)

If it really was similar in every way then I'd probably be better off waiting on the VC, but as long as it is a different enough experience...

Sorry if I sounded angry, I just wanted to point out that it should feel fresh regardless. 

I still suggest playing Super Metroid when it hopefully comes to Switch, but I think that Axiom Verge adds enough modern gaming features to make the experience familiar but different. The game isn't perfect (for example I think the huge amount of weapons is pointless), but it is still really great. 

2 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Sorry if I sounded angry, I just wanted to point out that it should feel fresh regardless. 

I still suggest playing Super Metroid when it hopefully comes to Switch, but I think that Axiom Verge adds enough modern gaming features to make the experience familiar but different. The game isn't perfect (for example I think the huge amount of weapons is pointless), but it is still really great. 

I actually started on Super Metroid a few times but it never did much for me. Seeing as apparently my taste in games is expanding these days (not being against 8-bit as much, playing new gameplay genres), I probably should try it again once VC on the Switch starts.

I played a bit of forma.8 by the way and it seems to be a MetroidVania game as well, though combat is more on being clever and less on superior firepower.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's out now on the Switch and I decided to get it. Don't know if I will be able to play soon because I still have Thimbleweed Park and Golf Story to finish and South Park releases soon, followed by Super Mario Odyssey and Assassin's Creed Origins, but I felt like buying it nonetheless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game and I want to thank everybody in this thread for recommending it to me.

I wouldn't say it's a flawless experience but it all was very entertaining and I do feel like getting my money's worth at full price. I hope the creator can focus on his next game now, Axiom Verge is supposed to be the start of a trilogy or franchise or something along those lines.