Sony Details PlayStation 4 Processing Specs, DualShock 4, and Eye

DanielVT

Sony Details PlayStation 4 Processing Specs, DualShock 4, and Eye

New light shed on the system's internals and peripherals.

by Scott Lowe

http://www.ign.com/a...shock-4-and-eye

At tonight's event we were offered a brief overview of the PlayStation 4's powerful new hardware and a few quick glimpses at its new peripherals, the DualShock 4 and Eye. Now, the company has released additional information about the console's internals and more detail about the controller and new camera.

Sony has confirmed that the PlayStation 4 will be powered by a custom 8-core AMD "Jaguar" x86-64 with integrated graphics APU and "next-generation" AMD Radeon graphics processor capable of driving 1.84 teraflops. As detailed at the event, it will come paired with 8GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, making it competitive with most gaming-focused PCs on the market. As expected, the system will ship with a Blu-ray drive, built-in 80.211 b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.1, as well as HDMI, Analog-AV, and optical digital output. Sony is giving I/O options a boost with the inclusion of USB 3.0 ports and a mysteriously vague "AUX" port. Each system will ship a "Mono Headset" for cross-game chat and other social features.

What's more, we've gained new insight into the DualShock 4. As we know, the controller sports an integrated touch pad, headset jack, share button, and LED player identifier, but we've now learned that the touch pad features a mechanical button and supports "capacitive type." In addition to the obvious size and ergonomic changes, the DualShock 4 is expectedly gaining a bit of weight, going from 6.77 ounces on the DualShock 3 to 7.4 ounces on the DualShock 4. In addition to helping track a player for motion-based controls, the built-in LED can also be used to represent in-game elements, like a player's overall health.

Details were remarkably scant at the event regarding the PlayStation 4 Eye, which has been revealed as having a 1280x800 pixel sensor capable of capturing video at 60 frames-per-second — a significant gain over the Kinect's 640x480 30fps sensor. It can also be used to automatically detect players, though Sony hasn't detailed the exact application of the feature.

246171-p1.jpg

Edited by DanielVT

Daniel - You're pretty psyched about this launch aren't you ? :D

How can you tell? Is it the 60 plus posts in the last 12 hours? lol YES I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!! :D I intend on being the #1 news guy of the PS4 here. If there is new news on the PS4 on the internet, I am bringing it here for everyone to see. :)

Edited by DanielVT
  • Like 1

The new controller looks comfortable, but I am slightly worried about early launch titles having forced gimmicks being included because of the eye being included and the touch pad on the controller. Hopefully nothing is forced or it is genuinely fun to use.

Regardless, I'm really excited to hold the new controller because it looks like a better Dualshock and I'll be buying a PS4 day one so I want to know what my controller is going to feel like.

Parker

The new controller looks comfortable, but I am slightly worried about early launch titles having forced gimmicks being included because of the eye being included and the touch pad on the controller. Hopefully nothing is forced or it is genuinely fun to use.

Regardless, I'm really excited to hold the new controller because it looks like a better Dualshock and I'll be buying a PS4 day one so I want to know what my controller is going to feel like.

Parker

Agreed, at first I was concerned to hear they were getting rid of the Dualshock. I am pleased that they are instead adding many more awesome features and tweaking the controller for added comfortability and simply naming it Dualshock 4. Could not be happier.

Agreed, at first I was concerned to hear they were getting rid of the Dualshock. I am pleased that they are instead adding many more awesome features and tweaking the controller for added comfortability and simply naming it Dualshock 4. Could not be happier.

But those analogs look soo bad and almost worse than the Dualshock 3's. I really hope it's just a prototype and not the final product. I actually had a dream about that damn thing last night and how it feels :S I think I have issues, lol.

But those analogs look soo bad and almost worse than the Dualshock 3's. I really hope it's just a prototype and not the final product. I actually had a dream about that damn thing last night and how it feels :S I think I have issues, lol.

Interesting, I'm actually of the opinion that the sticks look WAY better. The regular ones were always good, but when my fingers got sweaty in an intense gaming moment they sometimes slipped off. This should not be a problem this time around.

Interesting, I'm actually of the opinion that the sticks look WAY better. The regular ones were always good, but when my fingers got sweaty in an intense gaming moment they sometimes slipped off. This should not be a problem this time around.

I sure hope not, I just don't like the bubble in the middle or the ring around it or however you want to look at it.

I imagine the controller won't be cheap, seems like they've packed it full of features and some are apparently still a mystery. I'm a little disappointed in the visual design on the touch pad, though. Just doesn't mesh well with the ergonomic style they have going.

A simple solution would have been to curve the touch pad like so ~

post-14061-0-92360200-1361480670_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I imagine the controller won't be cheap, seems like they've packed it full of features and some are apparently still a mystery. I'm a little disappointed in the visual design on the touch pad, though. Just doesn't mesh well with the ergonomic style they have going.

A simple solution would have been to curve the touch pad like so ~

Interesting. I prefer it with the curved touchpad... looks much more sleek and less blocky. It matches the curves of the controller well.

On another note, I think I'll prefer the concaved analog sticks. It may prevent my thumbs from slipping as it does now on controllers where my sticks are worn smooth.