Any examples of trophies that have been removed?

Jam_Lime44

Hi there. This is my first time posting so please, If this topic does not belong I'm sorry.

I was doing a little research and could not find anything on this topic, I was wondering if there were any examples of a game that had been released to the public and then through an update had a number of trophies removed from the trophy list.

Just to be clear, I'm not after any games that have been removed from the PSN store and now the trophies are unobtainable, I'm after a game that has had its overall trophy list altered post-release.

I noticed that the new Wolfenstein game has a petition going trying to get a trophy removed as people are finding it far too hard. (we'll leave that for now because I know people have mixed feelings about that) But I couldn't find any examples of trophies being removed which makes me think that once the game is out then the trophy list can't have anything removed, only added via DLC.

Love to hear from ya if anyone knows any examples or info on this

9 minutes ago, Jam_Lime44 said:

Hi there. This is my first time posting so please, If this topic does not belong I'm sorry.

I was doing a little research and could not find anything on this topic, I was wondering if there were any examples of a game that had been released to the public and then through an update had a number of trophies removed from the trophy list.

Just to be clear, I'm not after any games that have been removed from the PSN store and now the trophies are unobtainable, I'm after a game that has had its overall trophy list altered post-release.

I noticed that the new Wolfenstein game has a petition going trying to get a trophy removed as people are finding it far too hard. (we'll leave that for now because I know people have mixed feelings about that) But I couldn't find any examples of trophies being removed which makes me think that once the game is out then the trophy list can't have anything removed, only added via DLC.

Love to hear from ya if anyone knows any examples or info on this

As far as I know, no trophies have been outright removed, but there have been plenty of examples of a trophy's requirements being changed. The most recent example I can think of is from Life is Strange: Before the Storm. It used to have a trophy for completing the deluxe edition exclusive episode, but after a lot of backlash, it was changed so you only had to beat the three base game episodes.

I don't believe it has happened or will ever happen. At most, they may change the requirements to earn, for which there is some precedent.

I think Overwatch had at least one trophy changed, and I'm sure there are other examples. People who earned the trophy prior to the change obviously retained it, which is the key thing here, IMO. Removing a trophy entirely would go against this.

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Edited by RNumbers

God of War Ascension: The trophy "Bros before hoes" was renamed to "Bros before foes".

Tom Clancy's Endwar: The trophy "Dog of War" was glitched on the disc version of the game between October 2008-May 2013 but the requirement was changed on the digital version to allow it to pop.

Need For Speed Undercover: "Active community member" got changed to pop after a ranked win instead of entering an event since they got discontinued.

I don't think any trophies ever got removed, just their requirement changed.

Edited by Potent_Delusions

The only two examples I know of trophies being outright  removed from a list are:

Age of Booty, which originally had a plat apparently but then it was removed and the list somehow turned turned into a PSN list. This apparently screwed people's lists up for quite a while. This I've only read about on PST so don't know about it first hand.

Max Payne 1, which the list was put up months before it was released and had a trophy for shooting the rats in game, but then when the game was actually released the trophy was gone. This is recent so I personally remember seeing it and there's posts talking about it. 

You could technically say that the DLC trophies in Hyperballoid and Defiance so the trophies don't appear anymore on your system, though I think that's more due to developer incompetence and breaking the game to have the DLC trophies not be recognized by the system anymore.  

Edited by Gage

3 minutes ago, Gage said:

Max Payne 1, which the list was put up months before it was released and had a trophy for shooting the rats in game, but then when the game was actually released the trophy was gone. This is recent so I personally remember seeing it and there's posts talking about it. 

If pre-release is included then Payday 2 Crimewave Edition had this scenario too. In a teaser trailer released in February for a forthcoming update by the devs, each DLC trophy list they showed had 5 trophies however when it released in June, 1 trophy in each DLC set was removed and a former silver trophy in each set was promoted to Gold.