book of 1000 question

SakuraEclipse

specifically about book IV, the item catalog... I just finished vol 2. and realized i never killed the doppelganger in vol 1, therefor ill never get a certain weapon. Am i locked out of getting rank 9? or does it allow for some small room of error? thanks for any insight in advance. 

Edited by IronsidesX7

41 minutes ago, IronsidesX7 said:

As far as the books go in vol. 1 I got everything. Im starting the clean up for vol 2 and trying to decide if I should just reloaded my vol 1 save just to kill dop and get the own king key item and replay 2. If I don't have to, that would save me hours xD

You only get 1 item, the dual blades doppelganger item. Which are really good, but you'll get some better dual blades in Vol 3. It's really not worth it to replay the whole game just for the one item. I will say that you should at least do the Mecha Grunty quest, do the Chaotic PKs, and at least do the 50 Lucky Animal kicks in vol 2, before moving on (don't need to find each individual animal type again, unless you really want to). Just because they give equipment items that you can only get from that specific vol, from those specific quests. And equipment is worth more points in the book than items, so it'll make it easier to get to rank 9 in Vol 3. Don't worry about Bikman's quest though (the one where you have to talk to everyone to give out flyers). You don't get anything special, and it's a huge pain.

16 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Don't worry about Bikman's quest though (the one where you have to talk to everyone to give out flyers). You don't get anything special, and it's a huge pain.

I was really annoyed that Bikman's quest doesn't carry through volumes, too. I did it in the first volume for the trophy, since there were less people to find, and it's not too bad if you take the time to talk to everyone as you go through the story. It's easier to keep track of who I haven't traded with, but it's still a strong reason not to do it twice. But I think the PK Bounty quest is worse, since they don't seem to appear in story dungeons, and don't always turn out to be a PKer.

16 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

You only get 1 item, the dual blades doppelganger item.

There's 2 items, actually. A Dual Blade and a Broadsword. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can do it without any of the carryover, it just requires you to get nearly everything else, some of which can be even more of a pain, as you start running into stuff that's locked behind objectives in the Forest of Pain.

Even in Volume 1, you can seemingly max out the books without needing everything, but then you start needing things like the *5 accessories from the Guild shops that only sometimes spawn, and only sometimes carry those accessories.

1 hour ago, SPAgain said:

I was really annoyed that Bikman's quest doesn't carry through volumes, too. I did it in the first volume for the trophy, since there were less people to find, and it's not too bad if you take the time to talk to everyone as you go through the story. It's easier to keep track of who I haven't traded with, but it's still a strong reason not to do it twice. But I think the PK Bounty quest is worse, since they don't seem to appear in story dungeons, and don't always turn out to be a PKer.

There's 2 items, actually. A Dual Blade and a Broadsword. Anyway, I'm pretty sure you can do it without any of the carryover, it just requires you to get nearly everything else, some of which can be even more of a pain, as you start running into stuff that's locked behind objectives in the Forest of Pain.

Even in Volume 1, you can seemingly max out the books without needing everything, but then you start needing things like the *5 accessories from the Guild shops that only sometimes spawn, and only sometimes carry those accessories.

There are plenty of areas with PK areas right next to the chaos gate, that make it easier to grind out. Bikman relies completely on luck.

You can get the broad sword in Vol 2 no matter what. You can only get the dual blades if you get Own King in Vol 1. And yeah, you never need everything to max out the book in each vol, but the more you get in Vol 1 and 2, the easier it is to get max in Vol 3. The fewer Forest of Pain objectives needed and the fewer unique items needed from the guild shops. It makes it way easier if you do the campaigns in each vol, except bikman.

13 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

There are plenty of areas with PK areas right next to the chaos gate, that make it easier to grind out. Bikman relies completely on luck.

Yeah, I've been using those areas to grind for the Chaotic PKs alongside Mecha Grunty and Lucky Animals, but I still feel that grinding PKs is more annoying. Though it doesn't help that I left all of the PKs to the end, so I was just playing the same battle in the same area again and again, for no substantial reward in money or EXP.

13 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

You can get the broad sword in Vol 2 no matter what. You can only get the dual blades if you get Own King in Vol 1.

Huh. If that's true, the trophy guide is mistaken.

16 minutes ago, SPAgain said:

Yeah, I've been using those areas to grind for the Chaotic PKs alongside Mecha Grunty and Lucky Animals, but I still feel that grinding PKs is more annoying. Though it doesn't help that I left all of the PKs to the end, so I was just playing the same battle in the same area again and again, for no substantial reward in money or EXP.

Huh. If that's true, the trophy guide is mistaken.

Yeah, that happens sometimes. You have to fight doppleganger multiple times, but you can get it. The guide also claims the plat only takes 80 hours, which is wildly incorrect. I mean, maybe if you skip all of the cutscenes and got 100% in the PS2 version, so you know exactly what to do you can, but I did get 100% in the PS2 version, knew exactly what to do and where to go for everything, knew the perfect setups for Crimson VS, and it still took me 100 hours. So it's definitely not a very accurate number. It also says you need 4 playthroughs, when you only need 1. After glancing through, there's a lot wrong with the guide. I really didn't want to go through and correct everything though. I'd essentially be writing a guide. It works as it is. I posted a couple things in the comments that I thought were especially important, so hopefully they fix at least those things.

22 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

Yeah, that happens sometimes. You have to fight doppleganger multiple times, but you can get it. The guide also claims the plat only takes 80 hours, which is wildly incorrect. I mean, maybe if you skip all of the cutscenes and got 100% in the PS2 version, so you know exactly what to do you can, but I did get 100% in the PS2 version, knew exactly what to do and where to go for everything, knew the perfect setups for Crimson VS, and it still took me 100 hours. So it's definitely not a very accurate number. It also says you need 4 playthroughs, when you only need 1. After glancing through, there's a lot wrong with the guide. I really didn't want to go through and correct everything though. I'd essentially be writing a guide. It works as it is. I posted a couple things in the comments that I thought were especially important, so hopefully they fix at least those things.

Yeah, they seem to be considering each volume as a separate "playthrough", which isn't really an accurate way of looking at it. The guide on Playstationtrophies.org says 60 to 80 if you don't skip cutscenes, but the one on PSNProfiles says 100. But both of them think there's two rewards from Own King.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:14 AM, FlareZero said:

So, the book of 1000 is missable geez, now I maybe need to do a secondo run for all the games, oh wewll, I think I will pass....

It's not missable. It's just a little tight.

The more side-quest stuff you bring in from previous volumes, the less you have to mess around with the Forest of Pain and it's optional objectives. Without it, you would need more-or-less every item and equipment available in Vol3, many of which are in the Forest of Pain.

2 hours ago, SPAgain said:

It's not missable. It's just a little tight.

The more side-quest stuff you bring in from previous volumes, the less you have to mess around with the Forest of Pain and it's optional objectives. Without it, you would need more-or-less every item and equipment available in Vol3, many of which are in the Forest of Pain.

Umm, thanks, so The Forest of Pain are unlocked after I finished the vol.3?

• 3 weeks later...

Umm... I have a couple of question about this trophy. First I must reach level 3 in vol 1 with all of books or just priorize the book IV and VII (Monster and items) I don't have any problem to do it with all books (vol 1 all lvl 3 and vol 2 all lvl 6) but it is possible? I mean books like the bike book, battle book, friends trade/gift book can be finish in whatever vol, so the most missable factor is book IV nad VII if you looking for the book of 1000 trophy? ?

they all kinda play into each other, but yeah you can focus on the monsters and items and not miss a thing.

keep an eye on the rotating guild shops and do the campaigns, sidequests, endgame bosses, and dopple fights for each volume to ensure maximum amount of items, and then look up area words for any monsters you might be missing before transferring over to the next.

bike parts help for the bike book, but you can always supplement with crashes. gifting is inherently easier in vol 3 due to the value of high level items. everything else should take care of itself by the time you hit lvl 150.

17 minutes ago, Siziolvec said:

they all kinda play into each other, but yeah you can focus on the monsters and items and not miss a thing.

keep an eye on the rotating guild shops and do the campaigns, sidequests, endgame bosses, and dopple fights for each volume to ensure maximum amount of items, and then look up area words for any monsters you might be missing before transferring over to the next.

bike parts help for the bike book, but you can always supplement with crashes. gifting is inherently easier in vol 3 due to the value of high level items. everything else should take care of itself by the time you hit lvl 150.

Ty! right now I am in vol 3 and just miss 3 no missable items in vol 2 (: and all data base monster (vol 1 and vol 2)

On 12/31/2017 at 2:38 PM, AlchemistWer said:

Ty! right now I am in vol 3 and just miss 3 no missable items in vol 2 (: and all data base monster (vol 1 and vol 2)

Good stuff.

I did virtually the same with you at items, and the exact same for monsters. finished monsters without touching forest of pain and the same may happen for items when I finish the campaign (752/800 on 8). It's definitely not worth grinding Ryu 1 if you're going for platinum. The 200 arena rounds in vol 3 results in a lot of Double Triggers and rengekis maxes it super fast.

8 hours ago, Siziolvec said:

Good stuff.

I did virtually the same with you at items, and the exact same for monsters. finished monsters without touching forest of pain and the same may happen for items when I finish the campaign (752/800 on 8). It's definitely not worth grinding Ryu 1 if you're going for platinum. The 200 arena rounds in vol 3 results in a lot of Double Triggers and rengekis maxes it super fast.

It is true about Ryu 1 arena with awakening and rengeki can help a lot I need 95 more battle so the guild with benefist just wait for me ?

• 2 months later...

Most of this was already said, but I thought I would throw my two cents into this.

You do not have to get every item in the game (thankfully), but it is good to get as much as you can leading up to vol 3. I got all the miss-able items from volumes 1 and 2 and came to vol 3 pretty well set. The Forest of Pain (a very long dungeon un-locked post-game) has a lot of unique items and that helped get me within my last 200 of Book IV. From there I used Item Catalog list to figure out what I was missing and a couple stops to the shops sorted most of it out.

As worth mentioning: a lot of your companion/followers/party members have unique weapons/items on them that count towards this, too. Just look for any level 5 items they have on them. I got my last 100 for Book IV just trading off a couple allies. If you do this, though, best start early; by vol 3 some of their older equipment might be gone.

• Like 1