Vita outsells 3DS in Japan

Lady Lilith

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122694-PlayStation-Vita-Outsells-3DS-in-Japan

After a year of struggling and repeatedly slashed sales predictions, the PlayStation Vita is finally picking up steam--at least in Japan. Sonyannounced a Japan-exclusive price drop on the handheld hardware last month, and the effect was immediate: Vita sales in the region quadrupled. As of last week, the Vita hasn't lost its post-price drop momentum; Sony's handheld sold 63,581 units, putting it ahead of the Nintendo 3DS.

Vita sales were probably helped by last week's Japanese release of Tales of Hearts R, which followed Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus and Phantasy Star Online 2 the week of the price drop. Considering the Vita sold less than 12,000 units the week before Sony slashed its price, the new sales numbers must be encouraging for Sony, though the publisher hasn't announced a price cut for any other region.

A worldwide price cut for a system that's still relatively new wouldn't be unheard of; Nintendo cut the 3DS launch price after just a few months due to slow sales, which yielded positive results. Sony did the same with its $500 and $600 PS3 launch models, and seven years later PS3 sales have been healthy. The Vita is a great piece of hardware, so it's nice to see it doing better, even if it is only in Japan; perhaps this will encourage Sony to drop the handheld's price universally.

Great news...goes to show why Sony should cut the price in the west.  Of course, it probably would also help if they cut the price of the 32GB memory card...even if the $50 32GB deal someone posted here was a step in the right direction.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122694-PlayStation-Vita-Outsells-3DS-in-Japan

Great news...goes to show why Sony should cut the price in the west.  Of course, it probably would also help if they cut the price of the 32GB memory card...even if the $50 32GB deal someone posted here was a step in the right direction.

Great news but one problem. The 3DS has 30 millions counting in 2-yrs and the Vita  has 2-7 millions in 1-yr of release. We need a miracle to boost sales and the only way that would happen now is to sell it in bundles with the current PS3 or next gen PS4. I love my Vita but you would be stupid to say it doing steadily.

I hope we see a price drop and sales spike over here too. The Vita is an absolute monster of a system and has a ton of potential it just needs a bigger userbase so more developers will be interested in it. I'm glad to see it finally doing better in Japan though.

Parker

Very good sign just hope it continues. I know so many people that want a vita but not prepared to pay the price when (in their eyes) there is no AAA title they want.

Such a powerful little thing though, was pleased to hear they are supporting it along with the ps4.