Lava_Yuki

I've got a few questions about this game before I buy it

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I saw this game for sale on PSN at the moment and considering buying it. I have never really heard off nor played Danganronpa, but it seems to be popular on the forums and got decent enough reviews. I have a couple of questions before I decide to throw in the cash (and time!)

 

1. What type of game is it and how is the overall gameplay like?

 

2. Most important qt... how long would it take to platinum without skipping scenes? (only skipping already read parts as I like to enjoy the story) And is there a lot of grinding/ repetitive work?

 

3. How are the story and characters? It looks like a school style anime, but is the story ok for adults to enjoy as well? (I'm 25 and prefer more mature-ish stories)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It is a VN that has moments that are like Ace Attorney (where you use the clues you discovered during the chapter to figure out who the murderer is).

 

2. From what I remember it takes like 15 hours.

 

3. Depends what you mean by maturish? Usually when I hear that term people think it just means sex, violence and swearing...but in my opinion a Pixar cartoon like Coco is a mature story.

 

That being said the story is great except I hated the ending of the first game...and oddly enough I wasn't a fan of the story in the second game but loved the ending...weird?

 

That being said it is about students locked in a school and forced to either murder each for freedom so take it for what you want :)

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read a Dananropa manga once.... It is definitely mature as in you should not let children play it. It's not about friendship, it's about committing the perfect, unsolvable murder. Pretty heavy stuff.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll try to answer as best I can.

  1. It's primarily a visual novel, but is a lot more interactive than a lot of others out there. You investigate crime scenes and try to piece information together in Class Trials. It's similar to games like Phoenix Wright.
  2. It would probably take you about 90 hours to platinum Reloaded when all is said and done. It is two games in one package after all.
  3. I'm kinda surprised that you associate anime-style games as being for children... It's a murder mystery game, so it obviously deals with murder and dead bodies. Not really something you'd want kids playing. The story and characters in the DR series are absolutely fantastic.

Just give it a try. I don't think I've ever seen someone play the series and not fall in love with it.

Edited by Undead Wolf
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If by "mature" you mean "unsuitable for children" then it is mature.

However, if you mean a story that takes itself seriously, then I would say no.

If you mean complex then the murder trials are complicated, but the themes of the stories are fairly basic.

 

Regardless, play 'em, they are fantastic. I love them so much I own a Monokuma hat and have my forum avatar set to a screen grab from the credits of the anime.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like others said, it is a VN-type of game with a quite mature story about murders. It's kinda Battle Royal vs Ace Attorney. It has a lot of jokes and easter eggs in it, which is why it can be humorous and sometimes not as mature, but it is enjoyable.


Personally I would guess the plat to be something like 100-120 hours of gameplay. It's a lot of reading. That alone without skipping can take up to 60 hours, depending on your reading speed. (2 games after all). The other hours will be spent in aftergame content. As no one really said something about that, I will warn you. The aftergame content is grindy and kinda repetitive. You will have a mode in both games which requires a few replays and some grinding. That can be tedious but with the right strategy it can be cut in time. The second game however has a second aftergame content based on fighting. It can be fun and challenging, but the problem is, that you will have to get items out of that minigame and those are pure RNG which can push up the time needed to plat.

But still, I would totally recommend the game. Danganronpa is one of my favorite game series. And it really shouldn't go unnoticed, especially if you've already got an interest into Japanese games.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like an interesting game!

12 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

I'll try to answer as best I can.

  1. It's primarily a visual novel, but is a lot more interactive than a lot of others out there. You investigate crime scenes and try to piece information together in Class Trials. It's similar to games like Phoenix Wright.
  2. It would probably take you about 90 hours to platinum Reloaded when all is said and done. It is two games in one package after all.
  3. I'm kinda surprised that you associate anime-style games as being for children... It's a murder mystery game, so it obviously deals with murder and dead bodies. Not really something you'd want kids playing. The story and characters in the DR series are absolutely fantastic.

Just give it a try. I don't think I've ever seen someone play the series and not fall in love with it.

90 hours is pretty long for a VN, buy I guess it's two games in one. My image of anime is that it can be all ages, it was the school setting that kind of made me assume it was more aimed at the teenage bracket than adults. But I like murder mystery so I think I'll give it a go!

 

9 hours ago, Lagoon Aris said:

Like others said, it is a VN-type of game with a quite mature story about murders. It's kinda Battle Royal vs Ace Attorney. It has a lot of jokes and easter eggs in it, which is why it can be humorous and sometimes not as mature, but it is enjoyable.


Personally I would guess the plat to be something like 100-120 hours of gameplay. It's a lot of reading. That alone without skipping can take up to 60 hours, depending on your reading speed. (2 games after all). The other hours will be spent in aftergame content. As no one really said something about that, I will warn you. The aftergame content is grindy and kinda repetitive. You will have a mode in both games which requires a few replays and some grinding. That can be tedious but with the right strategy it can be cut in time. The second game however has a second aftergame content based on fighting. It can be fun and challenging, but the problem is, that you will have to get items out of that minigame and those are pure RNG which can push up the time needed to plat.

But still, I would totally recommend the game. Danganronpa is one of my favorite game series. And it really shouldn't go unnoticed, especially if you've already got an interest into Japanese games.

I'm really into JP games so it caught my eye. It seems to be one of the longer plats like RPGs as VNs are usually shorter, but two games + after game grinding make sense in terms of the long completion time. The murder mystery story sounds really interesting.

 

Glad to hear it's not a typical school story, as some VNs in particular Steins gate which I really didn't like as I found it kind of immature and too extreme in terms of otaku culture.    

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2018 at 4:44 AM, Lava_Yuki said:

Glad to hear it's not a typical school story, as some VNs in particular Steins gate which I really didn't like as I found it kind of immature and too extreme in terms of otaku culture.    

 

Oh, this game is pretty immature. But you need something to lighten the mood when so much killing is going on. 

 

The main draw of this game is the awesome trials. Playing it without a guide, on the hardest difficulty, makes for some real thinking.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.