The Worst Dynasty Warriors Game Ever Made

You

10 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Wow no I didn't know about Fate Musou, I guess after a third recount including Fate Musou that make that 13 Musou games. 14 if Fate Musou is out on Vita in the west. Will have to look into it. Thanks. :)

Yes it is physical and digital but the share the same list as the PS4 and your welcome ? 

14 hours ago, spykeralbersfan1 said:

As I said graphics don’t make the game and yes ive played the game I currently have 13 hours in the game and I haven’t had any issues with framerate since the 1.3 patch maybe you need to download the patch if you haven’t already 

Also just looked at your profile pretty rich comment come from someone who hasn’t played the game quit being a troll and play the game 

Sigh. How old are you? 13? I’ve hidden the game you fool. Get your facts straight and stop presuming.

Jim just posted another video, this time on Hard, further showcasing the best features of this "9 out of 10" game.

[edit] I like the reference to Life Of Black Tiger at 11:14

[edit2]

> Ok unhide dynasty warriors 9 then prove me wrong

I have to agree on that one, if you've actually played the then unhide it briefly so we can see it. After all, the date stamps will be there and prove to us if you're lying.

For me I plain out admit that Dynasty Warriors 9 hasn't touched my PS4. The store that had it for play only had it on for 2 days and was replaced quick swiftly with Bayonetta 2 on the Switch (Before that it was Monster Hunter on the PS4 and that was there for well over a week...)

On top of that you only have "Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate" and "Samurai Warriors 4", have you ever played a Dynasty Warriors game before? I think you're just a troll.

Edited by enaysoft

8 hours ago, spykeralbersfan1 said:

Ok unhide dynasty warriors 9 then prove me wrong

https://ibb.co/kUSiMS

7 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Jim just posted another video, this time on Hard, further showcasing the best features of this "9 out of 10" game.

[edit] I like the reference to Life Of Black Tiger at 11:14

[edit2]

> Ok unhide dynasty warriors 9 then prove me wrong

I have to agree on that one, if you've actually played the then unhide it briefly so we can see it. After all, the date stamps will be there and prove to us if you're lying.

For me I plain out admit that Dynasty Warriors 9 hasn't touched my PS4. The store that had it for play only had it on for 2 days and was replaced quick swiftly with Bayonetta 2 on the Switch (Before that it was Monster Hunter on the PS4 and that was there for well over a week...)

On top of that you only have "Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate" and "Samurai Warriors 4", have you ever played a Dynasty Warriors game before? I think you're just a troll.

Lol I’ve played a lot of games but they are hidden as I dont like unhiding them until I get at a decent number of trophies. Ocd with ratio and stuff. Anyway here’s proof I have actually played it

https://ibb.co/kUSiMS

Edited by Gizmo_Monkey

On 2/14/2018 at 7:35 PM, Hideoki_AU said:

Dynasty Warriors 2 was one of the first games I had on PS2.  Loved it to death.  Hardly played one since.  Sorta interested in that mash-up one with the DOA characters in it.

Is that Warriors All Stars? I own that game, but haven't started it. It was really cheap.

On 2/14/2018 at 1:19 PM, turniplord said:

I would say the same thing I say about my reviews - Don't go off the 'score' as that's always going to be subjective based on the reviewer's opinions - but read the text to see what their actual thoughts and explanations are. I write reviews for SquareXO and I gave it a 9/10 (most of my reviews are quite high but that's because we are a small site and the vast majority of titles I review, I have manually requested from the developers directly - so I guess you could say cherry picking, I'd just rather play games I like the look of).

In my review, I bring up the framerate issues, texture pop-ins, the fact you can gimp it by upgrading a weapon then giving it to the next level 1 character, the hookshot allowing you to bypass all strategy, the horse physics etc... But, after playing for around 30 hours and deciding to just take my time exploring, bumping up the difficulty, not giving my best weapon to the next person I play as and taking on more side missions to gain advantages on the final part of the chapter - I started to have a lot more fun. I'm on about 168 hours gameplay now and I just have one trophy left for the plat.

It's all about what you expect from the game and how you want to play it - I believe they have looked at Breath of the wild and Assassins creed and taken elements from both - you have the watchtowers and the horse auto-drive from AC and the fact you can b-line to the end, just like in Zelda. But, you don't have to do that if you wish to mess about and have fun looking around the world. 

The main complaint I see is people saying the game has gone from small missions with objectives and goals and gone to a bigger map with nothing to do - which is fair enough. But if you look at it - each chapter is 3-5 main missions, each with their own optional side missions which gives you an advantage with the addition of going random experience and material missions to get better equipment in the town - it's basically the same but on a bigger scale. Although, I do wish certain missions were more structured and the towns were more unique. I also want them to get rid of the hookshot or restrict it to level 50 or a purchased item (maybe in the empires version?).

Anyway, enough of me waffling on - is it the worse game ever - no. Should you look at a guys review 'score' and instantly judge them - no. Does Jim exaggerate a lot just for views and because he likes to gain attention - yup - he has slagged off pretty much every DW and their spin-offs for the last few years.

What you need to do with reviews in games like this is read what is being said and make up your own mind - I have a Pro and the frame drops weren't as bad as the Wii U or last Gen - so I was fine with that, I prefer a much higher rate but it didn't ruin the game or drop to an unplayable level - and the graphics didn't bother me as I played on 'movie mode' and they looked pretty decent. So my 'score' is going to be higher than someone else's because these things didn't bother me, yet another site might think graphics make a game and instantly take half the points off for not being in 2160p.

Everything wrong with reviews today is encapsulated right here. There are objective problems with DW9, but they are swept under the rug in favor of subjective taste. It's absurd.

I have no issue with someone liking a game. I like Magus. There, I said it. I don't like Red Dead Redemption. There, I said it again. Thus, by simple comparison, I like Magus better than I like Red Dead Redemption. But were I to write a professional review claiming that Magus was a better game than Red Dead Redemption, I should be strung up by my thumbs, like in imperial China. Seriously, do you think that a review is about, "This is how I play the game, so it's great!" Black is white, up is down. Now, Man of Steel is better than The Godfather. After all, I like Superman, and I don't like mobsters! You don't get to hide behind, "This game is good, if you know what you're looking for". This is the anti-thesis of what the critical process is supposed to be. It's amazing that the same guy who's been criticizing people for pointing out objective problems with DW suddenly falls back on this as his panacaea.

Christ - I'm done ranting here, but this is ridiculous. If you don't want me to judge you based on your review score...

... don't add a review score.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 3

I remember back in the days of the SNES, the Amiga etc. If a game had shitty controls, bugs, awful collision detection etc. It would instantly get a bad review score no matter what game it was. In 2018, even broken games can get 9/10 now...

BTW I watched that Dynasty Warriors 9 Hard Mode video of JIm Sterling again. He was so busy ranting that at 8:08 in the video he didn't even notice the trees that are spawned in the sky at the top of the screen. LOL

Check it out, literally graphics don't spawn in the world properly. Did anybody playtest the game and not notice that before release?!

PS Thanks Gizmo_Monkey, I'm sorry I doubted you.

I like DW9 better than Warriors All-Stars, FE Warriors, and DQ Heroes 1. I am just the 2nd player for most Dynasty Warrior games. DW9 is the first DW game I bought for myself

My favorites series is Samurai Warriors over DW. I hope KT can address the little issues with DW9 before moving SW into this new engine. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, enaysoft said:

I will agree with one thing but disagree at the same time from this video the English voice acting is terrible but I disagree with him on the part of leaving it in Japanese and using subtitles because if they aren’t going to do a serious attempt on the English voice acting don’t bother to do give me subs not shitty voice acting 

On 16.2.2018 at 3:41 PM, starcrunch061 said:

Everything wrong with reviews today is encapsulated right here. There are objective problems with DW9, but they are swept under the rug in favor of subjective taste. It's absurd.

I have no issue with someone liking a game. I like Magus. There, I said it. I don't like Red Dead Redemption. There, I said it again. Thus, by simple comparison, I like Magus better than I like Red Dead Redemption. But were I to write a professional review claiming that Magus was a better game than Red Dead Redemption, I should be strung up by my thumbs, like in imperial China. Seriously, do you think that a review is about, "This is how I play the game, so it's great!" Black is white, up is down. Now, Man of Steel is better than The Godfather. After all, I like Superman, and I don't like mobsters! You don't get to hide behind, "This game is good, if you know what you're looking for". This is the anti-thesis of what the critical process is supposed to be. It's amazing that the same guy who's been criticizing people for pointing out objective problems with DW suddenly falls back on this as his panacaea.

There are objective problems with every game that people will blindly defend if they're a fan of the product and people will forgo mentioning those problems. If you start dropping objective problems of Well Received Game X that no Somebody has pointed out odds are you'll just get labeled as a hater. I honestly think people are way too defensive about the shortcomings of games and the fact that people either refuse to or literally can't come up with anything better than "HATER" or some other insults towards any sort of criticism is really sad.

Especially concerning story people will just flat out ignore plot holes or just plain awful writing no matter how in your face those are and just scoff them off and keep on praising how amazing the stories are (Yakuza games are extremely guilty of this). I don't know if it's because the bar for good story in videogames is set real low or what.

Honestly, comparing Magus to Redemption would be apples to oranges scenario anyway, would be a better to compare Revolver to Redemption which could easily be something one can talk properly about.

On 19.2.2018 at 3:40 AM, enaysoft said:

I remember back in the days of the SNES, the Amiga etc. If a game had shitty controls, bugs, awful collision detection etc. It would instantly get a bad review score no matter what game it was. In 2018, even broken games can get 9/10 now...

Musou games have never been rated highly besides occasional random sites and... Jim Sterling (who gave DW8 a 9 despite all its shortcomings and even nasty bugs). The controls of 9 aren't much different from the rest so it's kind of a silly point to make if you're implying 9 has bad controls.

On point of bugs, every single game has them. Every single one of them. Nowadays you can at least fix the nasty ones rather than have them persist in the game itself.

Also on point of you saying how even broken games can get 9/10 in 2018 is a bit funny since you can just take a look at something like Skyrim which didn't get that 9/10 from one reviewer but is generally praised as a 10/10 regardless of a platform despite how barebones everything is, how buggy it was (and still is) and whatever other complaints you want to throw at it. Hell, the PS3 version is 92% metacritic - the version that had a lot of issues. This is largely true for any TES / Fallout Bethesda has released for any given platform, really.

---------------------------------------

The hate seems to be strong for DW9 and it's coming from both people who don't even care about the franchise to begin with to fans of the series. Yet at the same time I see there are people who like this game so I'd say it's mixed reception at worst. I just see a lot of plain "it's the worst thing ever lol" and at best the explanation for that statement comes with a link to Jim's video.

From the 5 hours I've played with the performance patch on it's not nearly as bad as people paint it to be. My biggest gripe so far are the worse enemy AI, unnecessary stealth sections and the animations of enemies going uphill/downhill like they're ready to vibrate through the world. Also the presumed budget cut to English VA but that's not on the game itself.

It's just average at best, really.

One of the biggest for people seems to be the relatively empty open world but I'm legitimately curious about what people were actually expecting to be in there? I'm actually curious about why a relatively empty open world is an issue now anyway since it's something that plagues nearly all open worlds including games that people praise to high heavens like Red Dead Redemption, MGS5 or even Skyrim.

Hey Herbalistiikka,

You make some good points, but you have to consider the relevance of what Dynasty Warriors (and warriors games in general)

Fan boyism will always exist. As an example, my favourite game of all time is Final Fantasy VII, probably being a half fan boy I am sure probably going to defend more than I should do, and be more forgiving of its faults than normal. Unfortunately what you can get is people on both sides. People

In 1997 Final Fantasy VII was incredible, it did a lot of new things that weren't around at the time. As did Dynasty Warriors 2 back in 2001. But to say Final Fantasy VII is the BEST GAME EVER even in 1997, let alone 2018 is absurd. But you will get people defended their best game of all time like it is a religion. Plus you'll get the absolutely absolute. Final Fantasy VII is the worst game of all time. By people who've never played it, or played it for moments, or just seen the game in action.

Dynasty Warriors on the other hand, it's slowly evolved over the years, and with various spin offs almost mixing up the formula.

The formula ever since Dynasty Warriors 2 has been, massive arena full of enemies, enemy bosses and allied bosses, all fighting till the stage ends. Every single Musou game up till this point has had these key features.

Dynasty Warriors 9 broke that and added massive open spaces, and hunting, and introduced many terrible things that Dynasty Warriors 6 is widely hated for. Also, the game series started of with 60fps, even on Dynasty Warriors 2, and since Dynasty Warriors 3 has always had split screen coop.

Even up till Dynasty Warriors 8, there have been many faults, subtle things changed for the worse, removing the confidence/morale system, having your warriors kill 50 enemies with one swing, instead of properly feeling like an enemy on a battlefield of equal skill. Many things have changed, but the core mechanics have been surprisingly consistent.

This reminds me of when Dynasty Warriors Strike Force came out on PS3. I played it, it was pretty good. But it was so different from Dynasty Warriors that a lot of people got angry about it. Why are people flying around as if they're on Dragon Ball. Why are they fighting giant beasts? After all though, it was a spinoff. An interesting one at that, 4 player online coop, and around the same time Dynasty Warriors online also existed on PS3. These were flawed but great new directions for the series.

Dynasty Warriors 8 is albeit, a PS3 remaster. There hasn't been a true PS4 quality Dynasty Warriors yet. Dynasty Warriors 6 was terrible, but DW7 and DW8 added new stuff, slowly but surely going back to what made Dynasty Warriors 2 and 3 so great.

Even if the graphics didn't get better than DW8, they could have made it 500 enemies on screen since no PS3 or Vita versions need to be supported. 500 enemies with DW8 graphics. Or true next gen PS4 graphics with the usual 50-100 enemies. They could have made the backdrops awesome.

Instead they broke all the characters, broke the core gameplay, they basically made a spin off, like Dynasty Warriors Strike Force. It genuinely hasn't worked. This is coming from a guy who has nearly 30 Musou platinums, not including all the PS2, Vita releases and games that I have yet to complete through to platinum.

I barely recognise this as a Dynasty Warriors game. Most people who like DW9 didn't like the previous games. I just wanted a better version of Dynasty Warriors 8. It's not impossible, it could have been done.

Just like Jim Sterling and many other fans of the game since DW2 and 3. It's not the Dynasty Warriors game we were looking forward too. It's a different game now. Like Res Evil 4 over Res Evil 3. A different game, which is much worse. The mechanics have changed too muchm why couldn't they have made it open world but filled it will thousands of enemies?

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 8 XL the past few days and really enjoying it. I feel sad that I'm not playing Dynasty Warriors 9, because it's not the game I wanted it be.

Dynasty Warriors 9 as a series is dead to me now.

Edited by enaysoft

3 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Hey Herbalistiikka,

You make some good points, but you have to consider the relevance of what Dynasty Warriors (and warriors games in general)

Fan boyism will always exist. As an example, my favourite game of all time is Final Fantasy VII, probably being a half fan boy I am sure probably going to defend more than I should do, and be more forgiving of its faults than normal. Unfortunately what you can get is people on both sides. People

In 1997 Final Fantasy VII was incredible, it did a lot of new things that weren't around at the time. As did Dynasty Warriors 2 back in 2001. But to say Final Fantasy VII is the BEST GAME EVER even in 1997, let alone 2018 is absurd. But you will get people defended their best game of all time like it is a religion. Plus you'll get the absolutely absolute. Final Fantasy VII is the worst game of all time. By people who've never played it, or played it for moments, or just seen the game in action.

Dynasty Warriors on the other hand, it's slowly evolved over the years, and with various spin offs almost mixing up the formula.

The formula ever since Dynasty Warriors 2 has been, massive arena full of enemies, enemy bosses and allied bosses, all fighting till the stage ends. Every single Musou game up till this point has had these key features.

Dynasty Warriors 9 broke that and added massive open spaces, and hunting, and introduced many terrible things that Dynasty Warriors 6 is widely hated for. Also, the game series started of with 60fps, even on Dynasty Warriors 2, and since Dynasty Warriors 3 has always had split screen coop.

Even up till Dynasty Warriors 8, there have been many faults, subtle things changed for the worse, removing the confidence/morale system, having your warriors kill 50 enemies with one swing, instead of properly feeling like an enemy on a battlefield of equal skill. Many things have changed, but the core mechanics have been surprisingly consistent.

This reminds me of when Dynasty Warriors Strike Force came out on PS3. I played it, it was pretty good. But it was so different from Dynasty Warriors that a lot of people got angry about it. Why are people flying around as if they're on Dragon Ball. Why are they fighting giant beasts? After all though, it was a spinoff. An interesting one at that, 4 player online coop, and around the same time Dynasty Warriors online also existed on PS3. These were flawed but great new directions for the series.

Dynasty Warriors 8 is albeit, a PS3 remaster. There hasn't been a true PS4 quality Dynasty Warriors yet. Dynasty Warriors 6 was terrible, but DW7 and DW8 added new stuff, slowly but surely going back to what made Dynasty Warriors 2 and 3 so great.

Even if the graphics didn't get better than DW8, they could have made it 500 enemies on screen since no PS3 or Vita versions need to be supported. 500 enemies with DW8 graphics. Or true next gen PS4 graphics with the usual 50-100 enemies. They could have made the backdrops awesome.

Instead they broke all the characters, broke the core gameplay, they basically made a spin off, like Dynasty Warriors Strike Force. It genuinely hasn't worked. This is coming from a guy who has nearly 30 Musou platinums, not including all the PS2, Vita releases and games that I have yet to complete through to platinum.

I barely recognise this as a Dynasty Warriors game. Most people who like DW9 didn't like the previous games. I just wanted a better version of Dynasty Warriors 8. It's not impossible, it could have been done.

Just like Jim Sterling and many other fans of the game since DW2 and 3. It's not the Dynasty Warriors game we were looking forward too. It's a different game now. Like Res Evil 4 over Res Evil 3. A different game, which is much worse. The mechanics have changed too muchm why couldn't they have made it open world but filled it will thousands of enemies?

I've been playing Dynasty Warriors 8 XL the past few days and really enjoying it. I feel sad that I'm not playing Dynasty Warriors 9, because it's not the game I wanted it be.

Dynasty Warriors 9 as a series is dead to me now.

That makes me sad enaysoft never say never they could fix all the issues and fully polish the game and it could become what you wanted it to be give it some time man

It's sad spykeralbersfan1 but I think the games industry is going to get worse. i've seen a lot of my favourite genres die over the years. Final Fantasy is no longer turned based RPG, Metal Gear Survive, well we'll say no more than that. Survival shock horror like Silent Hill, no Ridge Racer games anymore, and now Dynasty Warriors as well. All my favourite genres are pretty much gone now. Sure new ones step up and take their place but due to DLC, microtransactions and now gambling with loot boxes. I think things will get worse.

Sorry for the second post, but here's something interesting. I got an e-mail from amazon.jp (since I buy from them) and their generated "recommendation" e-mail It had both DW8 and DW9, and it's very interesting.

Despite being a 4 year old game, Dynasty Warriors 8 is more expensive to buy than Dynasty Warriors 9.

Dynasty Warriors 8 XL PS4
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B076V7P928/ref=pe_1785682_294431082_em_1p_0_ti
Dynasty Warriors 9 PS4
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00F332H5K/ref=pe_1785682_294431082_em_1p_1_ti

Customer reviews are DW9 3.5 stars, DW8 4.5 stars. Seems that even Japanese people seem to hate the game.

If the game hasn't dropped in price even after nearly 4 years, that's perhaps a good testament to how well recieved DW8 actually was.

To compare, Musou All Stars is only around 3000 yen on Amazon. Berserk Musou is also very cheap at 2100 (at time of writing)

Hell, even Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires on PS4 is more expensive to buy than Dynasty Warriors 9. :o

https://www.amazon.co.jp/コーエーテクモゲームス-真・三國無双7-Empires-PS4/dp/B00M3ZQTVO/ref=pd_sim_63_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=234XTY95XF9V80T3W16F

I still haven't played DW9, so I'm still withholding judgment, but I will say that I was worried about this title from the get-go, when the dev made odd remarks about how the DW8 cycle didn't evolve enough from the DW7 cycle. DW8:XL is probably my favorite DW game, with its fun mission-based achievements, and its ultimate difficulty. Unlike DW7, which can nauseate me on long playthroughs due to the character animations (or lack thereof), DW8 fixed those problems, and added some fun stuff to boot. 

I cross my fingers that when I do get around to playing this, it's not a total bomb. This is the first DW game I didn't buy on the day of release. 

6 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I still haven't played DW9, so I'm still withholding judgment, but I will say that I was worried about this title from the get-go, when the dev made odd remarks about how the DW8 cycle didn't evolve enough from the DW7 cycle. DW8:XL is probably my favorite DW game, with its fun mission-based achievements, and its ultimate difficulty. Unlike DW7, which can nauseate me on long playthroughs due to the character animations (or lack thereof), DW8 fixed those problems, and added some fun stuff to boot. 

I cross my fingers that when I do get around to playing this, it's not a total bomb. This is the first DW game I didn't buy on the day of release. 

I currently got 32 hours into the game and I’m enjoying it patch 1.3 fixed the framerate issues and it has some issues but it’s still a good game and enjoyable 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This posting is old but I just wanted to put my opinion in this.

Dynasty Warriors isn't a franchise for everyone. Yes it has heebs of mobs to kill and top officers to fight and the end boss just like any other game. What makes Dynasty Warriors differenr might be because of the gameplay. The Musou-way. Eventually that style passed it self to other brands and became games themselves.

But the most important question, is Dynasty Warriors 9 as bad as people claim? 

My answer is no. It isn't. Every game as their flaw just as someone above posted but doesn't mean the game is terrible as everyone perceives. Take in point other open-world games Horizon Zero Dawn, my example, you go around while stealth to destroy robots and plant traps. You find random villages with people to buy supples and ect. In retrospect Horizon Zero Dawn and Dynasty Warriors 9 isn't so different. What makes them apart is their narrative. You have to understand Dynasty Warriors 9 is from a period where there wasn't much people in the country, Same respect to Horizon Zero Dawn, so what is with the "lack of people"? 

Also what sets them apart it what gameplay functions a game has. Now Dynasty Warriors franchise has had Vs. Mode within its series but unbeknownst to me they removed it. See how I am a long time fan, but that doesn't deter the reasoning for my opinion. Dynasty Warriors 8 wasn't really all that great either but each their own opinion. For one that killed it for me is when I was playing with my boyfriend in 2-player mode and yet his duplicate character had no effect on the game unlike before. You picked a character that belonged in the stage, he was a focus, not just a duplicate and still have to save later. The was a No-No for me. Everything else I can understand. What I also didn't like since Dynasty Warriors 7 is the fact you "buy" your weapons rather than unlocking them originally. Same in 9, you have to gather resources then buy scroll then buy weapon. It loses it vaule quickly buy just farming the highest quality weapon doesn't it?

Lastly, Just because you are a "hater" of the series, you never played it, a long time fan ect... It doesn't change the point that someone can not like the game or like the game. For me the game is absolutely brilliant. I love the gameplay, I love the open world, I love the stories, I literally love everything about it. Ironically, I do not feel the same for Dynasty Warriors 7 or 8. I absolutely loved 9. Just hope everyone tries the game before knocking it down.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 3:41 PM, syumisan said:

Also what sets them apart it what gameplay functions a game has. Now Dynasty Warriors franchise has had Vs. Mode within its series but unbeknownst to me they removed it. See how I am a long time fan, but that doesn't deter the reasoning for my opinion. Dynasty Warriors 8 wasn't really all that great either but each their own opinion. For one that killed it for me is when I was playing with my boyfriend in 2-player mode and yet his duplicate character had no effect on the game unlike before. You picked a character that belonged in the stage, he was a focus, not just a duplicate and still have to save later. The was a No-No for me. Everything else I can understand. What I also didn't like since Dynasty Warriors 7 is the fact you "buy" your weapons rather than unlocking them originally. Same in 9, you have to gather resources then buy scroll then buy weapon. It loses it vaule quickly buy just farming the highest quality weapon doesn't it?

Was that true for all levels of the weapon? It's been years since I've platted DW7, so I really don't remember. DW7:XL required you to unlock the best weapons (twice, actually), and DW8 had the gold star weapons (dropped randomly) and 5-star weapons (required specific actions in stages).

Anyway, glad to hear that DW9 pleased someone. I still haven't played it (just too many other Warriors games out there for cheap), but I will get to it eventually.

• 1 month later...

So, I have now played this game and platted it, and I can say, unequivocally, that

THIS GAME SUCKS

Honestly, I don't think Jim Sterling's review gets at the real problem. This game doesn't suck because they changed to an open-world format. That only gives a strawman for the (mercifully few) apologists for this title. This game sucks because it's a bad game. Oh my God - is it a bad game. From the incomprehensibly broken battle system, to the boring battle structure, to the absurdly awful voice work, it is remarkable to me that KOEI let this game out. 

My kids and I would play the Yellow Turban Rebellion just to hear the horrible voice of Zhang Jiao. My 6-year-old thought it would be fun to try to speak like him in everyday conversation. It turns out, it's actually hilarious to do so, and I, my wife and three-year-old joined it for the afternoon. Amazingly, his voice isn't even the worst. Sun Jian seems to pause for a card change after every two words. Sun Ce sounds like a dumb jock who was forced to be in a school play. And Huang Zhong...well, there are no words for how bad he was. Also, did anyone go to the voice gallery? There seem to be tons of voices that are never used in the game. There are a lot of lines that are "request to superior", "request to subordinate", that never show up in the game as far as I can tell (unless Free Mode is far more vast that what I saw in my limited time there). Probably a dropped idea with the "officer bond" system, which is the most useless system in a game that I've ever seen. Seriously - do officer bonds do anything?

The sub-battles for the major battles do nothing. NOTHING. It is here that you see most clearly that this is an unfinished game. There are definitely signs that other ideas were at play, but never implemented. For example, did you know that you can actually get Liu Zhang to surrender Cheng Du if you do all of the sub-battles beforehand? Probably not, because why would you care? the game progresses the same way regardless. Similarly, if you fight Meng Huo when he shows up in the sub-battles, and manage to beat him 7 times, he'll surrender on the spot, and you won't have to do the main mission. The Yellow Turban Rebellion is a weird one, as there are actually other things going on (the magic of Zhang Jiao). However, since the brothers are farmed out to secondary sub-missions, you don't beat them to end the magic. Rather, you beat some second-raters like Pei Yuanshao. Despite this, that battle is by far the most developed in the entire game. I still don't understand why they didn't borrow from Dragon Quest Heroes 2, and have their large battles be separate from the open-world, so that the open-world quests could build strength for them.

Battle itself is awful. The game tries to implement trigger commands, which isn't the worst idea ever. The problem is, even if you're locked on a foe, you will still use your trigger command on the closest enemy. This is awful in battles against officers on high difficulty, where a single counter-combo can kill your character. On the other hand, if you manage to knock your enemy into the air, you can juggle him infinitely, regardless of the disparity of character level, etc. The peons aren't worth discussing - even on the highest difficulty, they are of no consequence (except when they block your trigger commands).

Why did this game squeeze so many cutscenes into the proceedings, particularly given the awful voicework? Many cutscenes are recycled with different characters (the cutscenes with Zhang Jiao and Dong Zhuo are pretty much the same with all characters), and while you can skip them, this will trigger a long load screen. For my last few playthroughs, I think I stared at a black screen more than I actually played the game. And what genius thought it was a good idea to do a close-up of every famous enemy you fight? This close-up is actually a problem - if you trigger a musou attack beforehand, and the game decides to do a close-up (which always happens, but at random times), your musou is ended, AND you do no damage with it! Remarkably bad design.

The grappling hook is much maligned, and with good reason. But man - I was so glad it was there. Navigating towns, camps, etc. is so tedious. That hook saves so much time. Add to that the terribly flawed, but completely required, quick-travel option between battles, and it's clear that with so many corners cut, these implements were put into the game just to make it playable. And I played this after 20 or so patches - I can't imagine how bad this was upon release.