Holy Gamestop Giftcards, Batman!

Dreakon139

So I have about $115 worth of Gamestop giftcards. What kind of PS3 related shenanigans should I get into? If you absolutely must know what I'm personally interested in to make an accurate suggestion (though I encourage you to suggest things you personally recommend as well), you can follow the link to my PSN Profile in my signature. All the games in there are all of the games I own and play regularly.

All I will say is that I already have NHL 12 and Uncharted 3 pre-ordered. And I own 3D Dot Game Heroes, but I haven't played it on this account yet.

Huzzah!

The Ratchet & Clank Future series! That's two full retail games and one short PSN game. A Crack In Time is the only one with trophies though, but still, it's a great series. Don't go on with PS3 without being able to say that you've played one of it's most popular franchises!

Well, it seems the Mass Effect 2 crowd is out. :P

I briefly tried the demo a little while ago and it seemed like a fairly standard RPG/Shooter affair. I'll admit, the RPG section of my games list is currently an unfilled void.

I have my sports filled by the NHL games.

My action/adventure taken care of by the Uncharteds, RE5 and GTA

Light-hearted, fun platforming party games in Castle Crashers and the LBP games.

I have my fighting game fix with Tekken 6.

I enjoyed the Fallouts on another PSN account, probably my favorite RPG/Shooter to date. Does Mass Effect 2 sound like a game I'd enjoy? Why do you like it? Would you consider it a good choice to fill my game collections 'RPG Void'? :)

Well, it seems the Mass Effect 2 crowd is out. :P

I briefly tried the demo a little while ago and it seemed like a fairly standard RPG/Shooter affair. I'll admit, the RPG section of my games list is currently an unfilled void.

I have my sports filled by the NHL games.

My action/adventure taken care of by the Uncharteds, RE5 and GTA

Light-hearted, fun platforming party games in Castle Crashers and the LBP games.

I have my fighting game fix with Tekken 6.

I enjoyed the Fallouts on another PSN account, probably my favorite RPG/Shooter to date. Does Mass Effect 2 sound like a game I'd enjoy? Why do you like it? Would you consider it a good choice to fill my game collections 'RPG Void'? :)

Possibly. Fallout is more of an RPG than Mass Effect, while Mass Effect has much better shooting mechanics than Fallout has ever had. There are still plenty of RPG elements in Mass Effect but I'd consider it more of a third person shooter than RPG. The original Mass Effect game was much more RPG oriented than the 2nd, so if you have a triple sixty or a good PC you could pick that up as well.

I know you don't like games without trophies, but if you're looking for a good RPG take a look at Valkyria Chronicles. It's one of the best RPG's I've ever played and every PS3 owner who is a fan of RPG's should have this in their collection. If you look at some reviews for the game everyone does nothing but sing it's praise and for good reason.

Do you enjoy racing games?

Parker

I know you don't like games without trophies, but if you're looking for a good RPG take a look at Valkyria Chronicles. It's one of the best RPG's I've ever played and every PS3 owner who is a fan of RPG's should have this in their collection. If you look at some reviews for the game everyone does nothing but sing it's praise and for good reason.

Do you enjoy racing games?

I'm warming up to the idea of no trophies, since giving MGS4 another shot is looking more and more appealing every time I stop by Gamestop... but a RPG (probably a long one) sans the satisfaction of that trophy dinging sound along the way? Eh... :P Not yet, probably.

The only kind of racing game I like is the Trackmania series. More arcade-y racing than simulation I guess, and a healthy online community is important as well. I suppose I could use a good racing game, any suggestions like that?

I like Mario Kart and the sort as well. I guess Modnation Racers is probably an avenue to go down in that case.

i would recomend NieR, Disgaea 3, Disgaea 4, Yakuza 3, or Yakuza 4.

i still have not played Yakuza 4... but i will ;o

I used to own Yakuza 4 actually. It was a cool game, but I absolutely struggle to get into games with subtitles. I like to multi-task as I game (chat on the laptop, listen to music, etc), and being forced to read and focus on the screen in pretty much every situation is quite the pain.

I'm warming up to the idea of no trophies, since giving MGS4 another shot is looking more and more appealing every time I stop by Gamestop... but a RPG (probably a long one) sans the satisfaction of that trophy dinging sound along the way? Eh... :P Not yet, probably.

The only kind of racing game I like is the Trackmania series. More arcade-y racing than simulation I guess, and a healthy online community is important as well. I suppose I could use a good racing game, any suggestions like that?

I like Mario Kart and the sort as well. I guess Modnation Racers is probably an avenue to go down in that case.

I used to own Yakuza 4 actually. It was a cool game, but I absolutely struggle to get into games with subtitles. I like to multi-task as I game (chat on the laptop, listen to music, etc), and being forced to read and focus on the screen in pretty much every situation is quite the pain.

Yep, that's what I'd recommend. The customization and track creator are almost as fun as the game itself, and honestly I think the racing mechanics are better and more fun in Modnation Racers than Mario Kart. My only gripe with Modnation is the loading times as they can be quite long sometimes. Otherwise, I've heard Blur and Split/Second are fun but I've no experience with them. I'm more of a simulation guy than arcade, so it seems we're opposites. :D

Since you seem to want to give MGS 4 another shot, I'd suggest waiting until the HD collection is out and buy that. Not only will you understand the story much much better (I don't think it is possible to understand the story without playing the previous games, or at least reading up about them) you'd also get some of those shiny trophies. Everyone wins. B)

Parker

Yep, that's what I'd recommend. The customization and track creator are almost as fun as the game itself, and honestly I think the racing mechanics are better and more fun in Modnation Racers than Mario Kart. My only gripe with Modnation is the loading times as they can be quite long sometimes. Otherwise, I've heard Blur and Split/Second are fun but I've no experience with them. I'm more of a simulation guy than arcade, so it seems we're opposites. :D

Since you seem to want to give MGS 4 another shot, I'd suggest waiting until the HD collection is out and buy that. Not only will you understand the story much much better (I don't think it is possible to understand the story without playing the previous games, or at least reading up about them) you'd also get some of those shiny trophies. Everyone wins. B)

Parker

Is Modnation Racers four players splitscreen/local? Having another game to play with people when they come over would be a nice little selling point to me personally, can't play Little Big Planet and Castle Crashers forever. Considering getting You Don't Know Jack as well for that purpose.

The MGS Collection does seem like the perfect fit, but for whatever reasons I can't get into the HD collections in general. The only one I'm even remotely considering is Resident Evil Code Veronica, and that's largely because it's very nostalgic to me and was one of my favorite games back when the Dreamcast was around.

in my opinion yakuza 3 had a great story. but if youre not into subtitles i still recomend disgaea 3 and 4 and nier. you DO have to read in them, but those games are just pure amazing. especialy disgaea... that addicting game D:< when i got disgaea 3, i couldnt stop playing it for months. i usualy get bored of a game after a week or two. music can get annoying, but the gameplay is really amazing. even though disgaea has bad graphics... oh well. NieR has one of the best stories i have ever experienced. there are 4 endings, and you have to beat the game 4 times in order to really understand it... but its still really good. some moments made me cry xP nier has good music, good action, an amazing story, decent graphics, an open world, and good enemies. its also really cheap.

but if you want an RPG game, you must check disgaea and NieR out...

i might buy dead island seems like a great game so far

I was thinking about that, but man did they miss a great opportunity by not including at least 2 player local coop. The whole leveling up system and stuff also feels like a bit much when I just want a game to bash some zombie faces.

I was thinking about that, but man did they miss a great opportunity by not including at least 2 player local coop. The whole leveling up system and stuff also feels like a bit much when I just want a game to bash some zombie faces.

thers a lvling up system? i had no clue now i really want dead island whats the highest lvl you can get to

Man, I forget what games you had on your other profile, but here are a few suggestions for you:

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Need for Speed: Shift

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2

Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2010

Red Dead Redemption

Jurassic the Hunted

inFamous

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-5

LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Rapala Pro Bass Fishing

Non-trophy supported games

Heavenly Sword

Silent Hill: Homecoming

MotorStorm

Folklore

Oblivion: Elder Scrolls

Did you get a Move yet? That's a must.

I considered it, since I have probably just enough (and a little extra) for a starter pack.

However, I have a Wii and trying to play it with my current living room setup is a bit annoying. Need to move couches and coffee tables and everything, and even then I'm kind of meh on the whole motion gaming thing. It'd be neat to try on games like Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5, but not $100 worth of neat.

I forced my brother to get Mass Effect 2 on his PC (through perfectly legitimate means, I assure you) and he seems to be enjoying it and it looks like fun. It's up there in terms of potential. Keep the suggestions coming though if you think of any!

Demon's Souls is a must if you have a PS3 and are even remotely interested in RPGs. People may tell you not to get it due to the fact that the servers are going offline, but you can get the plat without online and I personally found it more fulfilling to beat all of the bosses on my own. That was the only game I played while PSN was down back in April and May. Definitely pick up dark souls as well once it comes out.