Hello Trophy Hunters

Durandal

So I finally did it! Bought my self a PlayStation, after more then 30 years of gaming mind you!. Sure I had my fair share of consoles, Atari VCS for example, but I always played on a computer of some kind. Back in the 80s it was a ZX Spectrum followed by Schneider CPC, probably better known as Amstrad. I also played my games on a few Amigas until moving on to PCs in the late 90s. This has been my gaming platform ever since.

But lately I grew tired of it somehow, always updating something be it hard- or software. And the maintenance that goes with it. And with all the different online platforms nowadays it almost feels like a chore most of the times. So I bought a Xbox One in 2016, just to see if it can compete with PC gaming. Sadly it could not, the quality of most games wasn't what I was used to and the console itself was loud and the UI terrible. And you can't even configure the system properly without connect the damn thing to the internet. So back to PC games I went but since then there was always something nagging my inner geek. The one good thing the Xbox has shown me was how simple it could be compared to a PC. And I really like using a controller, even more then a mouse and keyboard. It just feels more natural to me or something.

So, two years later, I had just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, I couldn't resist the urge to finally check out Uncharted. I think my favorite genre is actually 3rd person action adventures. So off to the store I went and came home with a white PS4 Pro. Soon after setting up it up I was hooked, mostly because the UI is just how it should be. Not like that overloaded mess on Xbox. But when I installed my first games I was almost convinced that I made the right choice. Well, the plan back then was to only play the exclusive games like Horizon. But plans usually never go as you hope and I bought some other games, even older ones I had played on my PC. And so I played more and more on my PlayStation and the PC, well it mostly collects dust now. And there is not big difference to the PC now, well there is 4k and 60 frames and all that but that I never really cared me much for that. To me games on a PlayStation and PC are almost identical now.

But what really convinced me to switch platforms was the way I can play games now. There is no need to update Windows or drivers and no more maintaining Steam, gog and all the others. Just turning on the system and I am ready to go. And the UI is really great, no ads are bugging me to buy this or that, like the Xbox UI. It's way cleaner and simpler to use too. Even using the capture and share feature is great, that's coming from a guy who never thought twice about this before, hell now I have a youtube channel to archive some of my greatest gaming moments. The only thing that is annoying is how loud the Pro can get after a while but I have a good noise canceling headset now, so. :)

Ok, what brought me to this lovely place? Trophies of course! I soon found out that I am kind of addicted to achievements, I mean I always appreciated them when they popped up but I never really hunted them. Hmm, ok there was that one time with Trine 2. Anyway the thing is it feels more like an integral piece to the PS gaming experience, right? And it is great to track your progress, not just one game but collection wide since it is just one system and not half a dozen. So I was browsing for some kind of tracker for my Trophies and I found this site. And I am blown away, I really am. Not only by the design but also the features and the dedication that must go on to keep a site like this up and running. After using the site for a month or two I decided to support the team by going premium. So, Thanks guys!

Whoa big wall of text, sorry guys! I keep the rest short. I am quite old I guess, considering gaming is usually attributed with younger years, but I can't imagine that I am going to quit anytime soon. And to be honest I still a kid sometimes. I guess my hymn would be "I don't want to grow up" by Tom Waits, if I had a hymn.

I live in Germany but I consider myself fluent in english,  thanks to the countless books, movies and games I consumed in english over the decades. My favorite games are single player games which allows me to really immerse myself in that world. But I do online multi player games too sometimes, well I played WoW for 5 years or so. But I am usually going back to the single player experience after a while. Ok that should do it, unless you want to know something specific.

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 4

Well, may I say welcome to the site!  Great introduction, and I totally agree with you about the PC updating.  I gave up on that as I never had enough RAM, the right graphics card, etc etc. For me, the only thing going for the PC was the great mods you could install.

So, what games are in your future with the PS?

• Like 1

What a intresting introduction of yourself!

Then myself will also welcome you at this great psnp community for trophies and board; also with many nice People...rabbits; Pandas and other fur pawls from all over the world.

Likely my pre-poster @PermaFox; I also agree with her look of the "PC gaming Thing"

--

Myself is a gamer since 1990 with many interruptions; since 2007/08 also start playing games on a XBox360 cause the PS3 was really expensive for me... 2014 Christmas boutgh an Xbox One...two years later a PS4 and you know what... okay it`s my second PS4 console(slim1tb cause the first gone broken) but I never regret to buy the Sony console cause of many exclusives; hrpgs and indie titles.

--

Hope you will find many  nice People here and have fun with trophy hunting and gaming..... and kick some Draugh ass with Kratos and Atreus!

Spoiler

Bildergebnis für kratos atreus fanart

• Like 2

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well to answer you question PermaFox I already have a big pile of shame, damn sales, but I have a bit of a roadmap. First I finish Lara's second title of the reboot, then I go for AC Revelation, after that hmm Uncharted 1 probably. But as I said I am a huge fan of 3rd person adventures. So that's where my future really lies. I like RPG sure, but sometimes I feel there is too much micro managing and to much dialog. But I never say now to them too, I will finish Nino Kuni II first before buying another RPG though. How about you?

@Koromaru thanks for the encouraging words! Strangely I already feel very much at home here, not sure why but I think all the members have something in common here, I think it's the love for gaming and the commitment maybe. So I guess I will fit right in, I hope. And yeah some friends to do some multiplayer or co-op trophy hunting would be nice. And just to talk about anything ... that's always nice. Have fun with all Draughs ;)

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading your intro, it was interesting! I bought a powerful PC a few years back, but honestly, I just couldn't get into the whole PC gaming thing. I've always been a console gamer and I don't expect that to ever change. Like you, I enjoy the simplicity, but there's also stuff like trophies, physical media, the community, etc.

Hopefully you stick around and don't go over to the dark side again. :giggle: Also, don't worry about your age. I think it's cool you've been gaming for so long. I'll be gaming until I'm physically unable to do so. :P

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Hopefully you stick around and don't go over to the dark side again. :giggle: Also, don't worry about your age. I think it's cool you've been gaming for so long. I'll be gaming until I'm physically unable to do so. :P

Thank you and I quite sure I am hooked to Sony for the rest of my gaming career now.

Oh and I plan the same thing :) I hope they have a nice gaming room when move in an old-people's home or maybe I die with a gamepad in my hands.

20 minutes ago, bezdomnekoty said:

Welcome \o/

Thank you :)

Edited by Durandal
  • Like 3

Welcome to the site.

That was quite an amazing introduction back there. I enjoyed reading it. Hope you can find all of the features on this site useful to you. I'm sure you will fit right in with the community.

5 hours ago, Durandal said:

But what really convinced me to switch platforms was the way I can play games now. There is no need to update Windows or drivers and no more maintaining Steam, gog and all the others. Just turning on the system and I am ready to go.

↑ This

This is what pulled me back into console gaming in 2006. I had built myself a nice rig back in 2004 that could play almost anything but the constant need for maintenance and the high budget required for PC gaming made me switch back to play mostly on consoles. Don't get me wrong, both PC gaming and console gaming have their fair share of advantages and disadvantages so, in the end, it really is mostly a matter of preference and of which kind of style of gaming fits you the best.

Wish I could have some great PS4 games to recommends to you but, due to social and economic reasons of the place where I live in, I only play on a PS3 nowadays. If you ever get one or are planning to get any PS3 games through PS Now, let me know I will happily recommend any game to you.

Cheers, enjoy the site! ^_^

thank you Honor_Hand. I am sure that I will, and I already feel quite at home now. Due to these nice posts from you guys.

I agree PC gaming has its place in our time just like any other system and who knows I might play a game on my trusted old rig at some point or even upgrade it even. I might check out PS Now out but I am more the kind of gamer who likes to own a game, digital or on disc. Streaming isn't my kinda thing but who knows. Anyway I hope you might find an opportunity to upgrade to a PS4 or even a Five but the PS3 has still lots of great games, right?

1 hour ago, Durandal said:

thank you Honor_Hand. I am sure that I will, and I already feel quite at home now. Due to these nice posts from you guys.

I agree PC gaming has its place in our time just like any other system and who knows I might play a game on my trusted old rig at some point or even upgrade it even. I might check out PS Now out but I am more the kind of gamer who likes to own a game, digital or on disc. Streaming isn't my kinda thing but who knows. Anyway I hope you might find an opportunity to upgrade to a PS4 or even a Five but the PS3 has still lots of great games, right?

Agreed. I'm also the kind of gamer that prefers to own a tangible asset of any game out there. I do also collect from a number of older systems so, yeah, streaming isn't my cup of tea either. My internet isn't up to the task anyway so it is not like I have much of a choice either ha ha ha!

I'm getting a PS4 and a Vita before the end of the year, that's a promise. Also hoping to get the PS5 not so late in its lifecycle.

There are great games out there on PS3. I have a huge backlog of them to play. Haven't played series like Yakuza, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm and Resistance to name but a few.  I don't mind playing old games to be honest. If there is any game I could recommend that is exclusive to the PS3 would be Demon Souls. I know it is archaic as hell compared to any newer game in the series but hey, a classic is a classic. Check it out if you ever get the chance. ?

• Like 1

Welcome, if you want someone to compare trophies to or maybe team up online, go ahead and add me on PSN.

I see you have a Nier Automata avatar and background. I've been wanting to get this game for a while and I already listen to the soundtrack a lot (I am a sucker for great video game music). Is this your favorite game on PS4 so far? What are your thoughts on the game? The game is definitely on my radar and hope to pick it up before the end of the year.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Honor_Hand said:

snip

Ah Demon Souls yes, I heard quite a lot of it and it is probably one of most desired game to be remastered for the PS4. And there are some rumors that it might happening someday. And yeah a classic is a classic. I played my fair share of old games thanks to gog and they are still good despite the looks, ok some are maybe a pain now due to the chunky controls but still it's the nostalgia that brings them back.

11 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Welcome, if you want someone to compare trophies to or maybe team up online, go ahead and add me on PSN.

I see you have a Nier Automata avatar and background. I've been wanting to get this game for a while and I already listen to the soundtrack a lot (I am a sucker for great video game music). Is this your favorite game on PS4 so far? What are your thoughts on the game? The game is definitely on my radar and hope to pick it up before the end of the year.

It really blew me away! The moment it starts it gives you a shiver and it never fails to amaze you, even with the fair share of grind. The story is good but the characters is what makes this game really worth playing. It is NOT your typical game of a shiny hero it is a tragic story of ... well find it out yourself ;)

It has a depth you rarely find in a game. How the game tells the story and how you learn about the details is quite different from the usual way. Sure it has some oddities and a bit of a grind but for the story it is not so important to complete every bit. Forgot to mention one thing, it also surprises you in many ways. For instance it mixes genres really nicely, there is the classic third person combat stuff but then you have a bit sidescrolling moments and even twin stick shooter sequences. And of course a really well done combat system!

Oh and it is on sale at the moment, at least in Europe I think, so it might be a good time to experience it.

P.S. Yes I would say it is my favorite so far, and not just on PS4!

Edited by Durandal
addendum & clean up
  • Like 1