Helicopter mission

Tonight I did something, I usually never do: I rage quit. This stupid helicopter flight after facing Hoyt... I can't do a thing to get this done. I even turned the game down to easy and still couldn't make this mission.... Well, at least we made it to the second time around the airfield on easy...

Am I too stupid or is the difficulty really jumping sky-high at this mission? After a few seconds of shooting, all I see is black smoke, so I just spray and pray. Of course I won't hit even one of the Rocket-Launchers there. Tried aiming, tried without aiming. Not much difference here.

Weirdly I loved this on the PS3 and had no problem passing this mission - well, maybe I died once, because I'd rather look around than shoot - but on PS4? This thing feels impossible.

I know myself, I'll try until I pass, but still: Is there anything I missed on this run, after I know it was actually pretty easy on PS3? I actually feel pretty dumb at the moment, but can't seem to find an explanation for this problem.

• Like 2

Don't worry, it's a known glitch with this version of the game, which I already detailed in my Far Cry 3 Classic Edition trophy guide. Doing this mission on the easiest difficulty is impossible, as it scales the enemies damage to the Master difficulty (Very Hard). You must play this mission on the Survivor difficulty (Normal) to bypass it. I was experiencing issues with this mission myself, as somebody who was playing the entire game on the Explorer difficulty (Easy). After having difficulties with this though, I found this thread, tuned my difficulty to Survivor, and finished it on my first attempt.

Edited by ddracarys
  • Like 4

Thank you so much - well, I guess I was a bit exhausted from playing all day long plus wanted to finally finish the game. Because I actually did try it on Survivor the first two attempts. This morning I finally made it on my second try (the "health" of the helicopter even went up a little near the end of the mission)

Interesting thing btw: I WANTED to play on Explorer - I remember setting the game on easy when I first started. It was on this exact mission I checked the difficulty for the first time and saw: game was set to Survivor? Does it reset to the defaults when you close the game or how does this happen? I definitely didn't change it myself.

Plus, when I turned it to easy I checked after failing the helicopter again and it was set back to normal. I'm not sure if I missed some confirmation-button, but I think that's kind of weird.

The last time I played yesterday, I tried on Explorer difficulty and didn't change it again (well, at least I didn't change it myself), but when I started the game today, it was back to Survivor dufficulty.

Anybody knows why this keeps happening?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, EdnaKatze said:

Thank you so much - well, I guess I was a bit exhausted from playing all day long plus wanted to finally finish the game. Because I actually did try it on Survivor the first two attempts. This morning I finally made it on my second try (the "health" of the helicopter even went up a little near the end of the mission)

Interesting thing btw: I WANTED to play on Explorer - I remember setting the game on easy when I first started. It was on this exact mission I checked the difficulty for the first time and saw: game was set to Survivor? Does it reset to the defaults when you close the game or how does this happen? I definitely didn't change it myself.

Plus, when I turned it to easy I checked after failing the helicopter again and it was set back to normal. I'm not sure if I missed some confirmation-button, but I think that's kind of weird.

The last time I played yesterday, I tried on Explorer difficulty and didn't change it again (well, at least I didn't change it myself), but when I started the game today, it was back to Survivor dufficulty.

Anybody knows why this keeps happening?

You're very welcome, I'm glad you were able to finally bypass this tedious mission. I know when I did it, it was such a sigh of relief. And yeah, I realised the health of the helicopter regenerating a bit too, when the two other helicopters attack.

As for your question on the automatically altering difficulty, the only guess I have on this is the fact that you are in the point of no return, so your game technically never saves (even though autosaves and checkpoints are enabled). I think the point of no return is an indicator of everything else in the game taking a pause until you finish your playthrough. This is, however, just an assumption on my end, as I have never encountered the problem myself. Have you encountered the issue in post-game?

That sounds plausible - maybe that really happened because I was at the point of no return.

Out of curiosity I just started the game again - I set it to easy, when I went back to the jungle to distract 25 enemies with stones. When I launched it again, it was still on easy. So here it remembered my setting. Still weird that I seem to have played the whole game on medium without even knowing, after I definitely chose easy when I first started (why wouldn't I? I like being the strongest dude around - in every game, so it seems absolutely impossible, that I made a mistake there). And there really was a difference, because I got full mayhem after throwing my stones and I could take WAY more damage, than before.

I'll just directly start over on my 100%-acc and check, if the setting stays on easy this time around. I've always loved this game, so playing it twice in a row would actually be fun.

• Like 1

Thought I might add something to this topic, I finished the game last night and I survived the helicopter 1st go. I really should not have as it was at zero health within 20 seconds. I got to the bridge section and was hit though rather then ending it added a fraction of health to the chopper instead. The section I did have problems with was Sams AI, just like the ps3 release for me he seems to get stuck.

• 8 months later...

I did it in a single try (on master), also regained a little bit of health at the very end after the three choppers.
I was afraid I would perish there, but fortunately I didn't.
Regarding the resetting of the difficulty level: I've experienced the same problem throughout my whole playthough. It kept being reset to survivor, which was annoying.

Edited by Davidov34

• 1 year later...

I managed to get this done on easy in about 3 or 4 tries so it's not at all impossible, just very fustrating and/or difficult to take out the soldiers launching the rockets (also don't play at night!). I wish I had known about this dilliculty spike glitch before as I could've done this with little effort on medium but whatever, it's in the past now.

• Like 1

On 30-6-2018 at 11:38 PM, ddracarys said:

Don't worry, it's a known glitch with this version of the game, which I already detailed in my Far Cry 3 Classic Edition trophy guide. Doing this mission on the easiest difficulty is impossible, as it scales the enemies damage to the Master difficulty (Very Hard). You must play this mission on the Survivor difficulty (Normal) to bypass it. I was experiencing issues with this mission myself, as somebody who was playing the entire game on the Explorer difficulty (Easy). After having difficulties with this though, I found this thread, tuned my difficulty to Survivor, and finished it on my first attempt.

Lol so thats why... props to me. :D 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m not a Far Cry veteran but this mission was rather easy ? i did it on my second try. First try got blown up by enemies and didn’t know where they were but second time I pinpointed them and took them out. I don’t understand how and why people are failing this and getting frustrated to the point they spend more than 10 minutes on this mission and raging over it.  I had little to no health left when facing the three helicopters and yet cleared it with ease

11 hours ago, ShahinMiah said:

I’m not a Far Cry veteran but this mission was rather easy 1f602.png i did it on my second try. First try got blown up by enemies and didn’t know where they were but second time I pinpointed them and took them out. I don’t understand how and why people are failing this and getting frustrated to the point they spend more than 10 minutes on this mission and raging over it.  I had little to no health left when facing the three helicopters and yet cleared it with ease

Yep, I got it on second try, too. This mission isn't difficult at all once players figure out where enemies are. Like the original poster says, "Just spray and pray." :)

• 1 year later...