Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

@Deano1337 I tried that route when I first started practicing 13 but I found it to be a bit too inconsistent. Don’t let me stop you from trying though, maybe you’ll have better success with it than me. Are you doing the skip at the start? Once you get that down you’re not going to be nearly as rushed. Personally I find 13 to be at the lower end of medium difficulty. 13-15 is what I would call ‘The roadblock trifecta’ but 13 is probably the easiest of the 3.

I think a successful run for me is just a matter of time at this point. I’m getting much more consistent at 19 and 20. Believe it or not I actually think my success rate at those levels is approaching 50%. I’ve had 2 runs reach their 12th level and I think if I can reach 14, barring a major choke, I’ll be home free. My success rate at the final 7 levels (3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 18) is probably over 90% except when I was trying to speed run 7-7x. Speaking of which check out my rank on the leaderboard for that level. 

Cotton Alley is infuriating me to a degree where I'm not even having fun anymore. Practicing for Girl Boy and I can beat and chain every single level except for one: 20. To this day I have only beaten level 20 a single time and about 20 seconds over the par time. I cannot beat 20 for the life of me and it's so insanely frustrating because I've gotten every single other level beaten many, many times with different strats already prepared. Sigh... 

On the other hand I choked on a 16 run of Missile Boy. Died on 2x, my last "semi-could-kill-me" level. So that'll be done soon. Lot of tips here helped on those levels.

• Like 1

@postofficebuddy I haven't been able to do the skip at the start but I'll be practicung that shortly.  Might see if I can do both at once.  I feel similar in that its just a matter of time at this stage.  My Girl Boy run happened a few times after getting my "hard" levels done, and I was able to do a few runs of the hard ones for Impossible last night - Just need that little luck element.

@Sword you'll get it soon - I found 20 to be really hard too, and still do tbh.  The tiny sawblades always kill me, so I tried to do 20 at the start of my runs.  If you look back at my Girl Boy run you'll see I did 1, 19, then 20 because I struggled a lot with those 3.  Regarding Missile Boy, The Kid is great for a bunch of those levels & if you've managed that far already, the trophy is basically yours ;P

• Like 1

No new pb tonight, but I did manage a few things...

13 - @postofficebuddy I used both the trick at the start and the end and am beating that much more consistently now so thank you for reccomending that one. :)

15 - Took me a while but I worked out a way of getting this more consistently... Still needs a bit of practice but I'm much happier with it now.  Basically, if the maw in the middle blows up in the corner, one of the small maws will always hit where the key is, and the other will go across the bottom basically making you get die, so if you jump after it fires, it'll hit the side and not the corner giving a much higher success rate (I'll add a picture tomorrow to show what I'm talking about).

19 - Passing rate has went up to like 75% now, not really sure why I guess I'm just better at the timing across the top

I also managed to match my PB of 9 in a row twice (14-15, 19-20, 1-5) and dying on 6 a few times.  Then I managed to do 13-20 in 1 go.  Lastly, I did a full run through counting deaths and I died once on 5, 9, 13 and 20... So a 4 death run from 1-20.

A bit of a frustrating evening but there's positives so I'm happy.  Until tomorrow! :)

• Like 2

So to explain my last post... the red line is where I what my method originally was, and the red X is where the maw would normally land, thus killing me because of the small maw paths.  The blue line is my new path, and the blue X is roughly where the maw hits now, which gives me a 9/10 success rate.  It's funny how the small differences make a big difference isn't it?

7-15x.png

Edited by Deano1337
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deano1337 said:

So to explain my last post... the red line is where I what my method originally was, and the red X is where the maw would normally land, thus killing me because of the small maw paths.  The blue line is my new path, and the blue X is roughly where the maw hits now, which gives me a 9/10 success rate.  It's funny how the small differences make a big difference isn't it?

It's incredible the amount of details you have to pay attention to in the harder levels in order to get consistent. Impossible Boy is all about that, very precise setups and a ton of muscle memory through practice. I appreciate much more what top speedrunners do after platting this game, it takes a lot of determination.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

It's incredible the amount of details you have to pay attention to in the harder levels in order to get consistent. Impossible Boy is all about that, very precise setups and a ton of muscle memory through practice. I appreciate much more what top speedrunners do after platting this game, it takes a lot of determination.

I totally agree!  The muscle memory plays a very large part I feel, and there are some days when I'm playing and it just doens't 'click' so I know there's no point in frustrating myself and leave it for a few hours/try again the next day.

Tonight I managed a new PB of 14 (15-20, 1-7) and fell victim to missing the magic pixel. :( I then had a 19-20, 1-9 ruined by salt shaker.  My streaks are also getting more common and I'm getting streaks of 8,9,10 more consistently... I feel it's coming soon and just need that little bit of luck now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Deano1337 said:

Tonight I managed a new PB of 14 (15-20, 1-7) and fell victim to missing the magic pixel.

7 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

@Deano1337 Oh God, really? I had the exact same thing happen to me last night. I was at 14 and I missed the pixel. We will get this dude, don’t lose hope. 

I posted this a while back in this thread (like a long while back :D), so chances are you haven't seen it. But I found a (I believe) 100% consistent setup for the magic pixel: 

To quote my own post: 

7-7x: Easiest level, no question. Problem is, what if you are one pixel off and die, ruining your entire run? Well, I think I found a guaranteed position with a visual clue that is very easy to spot. You know how sometimes Bandage Girl seems to “breathe”? She kinda gets a bit wider for a fraction of a second or so.. I made a GIF, and this is how the position looks like:

zDAJKFp.gif

I haven’t seen this setup elsewhere, but for me the visual clue is the dark bar on the right of Bandage Girl. If positioned correctly, the dark bar will be visible, but when Bandage Girl “breathes”, she will cover it. I don’t want to say that it’s 100% impossible to die positioned like this, but I never did and thus felt confident to leave this level for last. 

So yeah. With this setup, I actually left 7-7x for last when I went for this trophy. 

Good luck to all trying to get this done! :) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I posted this a while back in this thread (like a long while back :D), so chances are you haven't seen it. But I found a (I believe) 100% consistent setup for the magic pixel: 

To quote my own post: 

7-7x: Easiest level, no question. Problem is, what if you are one pixel off and die, ruining your entire run? Well, I think I found a guaranteed position with a visual clue that is very easy to spot. You know how sometimes Bandage Girl seems to “breathe”? She kinda gets a bit wider for a fraction of a second or so.. I made a GIF, and this is how the position looks like:

zDAJKFp.gif

I haven’t seen this setup elsewhere, but for me the visual clue is the dark bar on the right of Bandage Girl. If positioned correctly, the dark bar will be visible, but when Bandage Girl “breathes”, she will cover it. I don’t want to say that it’s 100% impossible to die positioned like this, but I never did and thus felt confident to leave this level for last. 

So yeah. With this setup, I actually left 7-7x for last when I went for this trophy. 

Good luck to all trying to get this done! :) 

This is great!  ALthough I've noticed bandage girl doesn't always stand like that which is a bit weird, but I find restarting the level tends to fix it.  I seem to be doing it more frequently now thank you :)

13 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

IT IS DONE! My first run past 14 and I did It. I was so nervous after 7-7x and I had like 6 close calls that sent my heart into my throat. 7-18x was my last level and after I threw the oobs offscreen I started having a meltdown. All I can say is thank goodness I was alone in the house. I can upload a vid but it will only be part of the run. I took too long, mostly because I was stuck on 7-5x and 7-7x for a while. Level order was 13, 14, 19, 20, 15, 16, 8, 9, 1-7, 10-12, 17, 18. Here’s the partial run if you’re curious.

Fuck yes mate congrats!!!  Super happy for you!

I decided to do some runs over my lunch to see if I could get some steam rolling for after work, and out of nowhere I had a run going.  I did 6, 9, 1, 7, 8, then 13-20 and realised I was close.  So I went back to do 10 - 12.  Fucking nailed it.  Now the pressure was on, only thing between me and the trophy was 2-5 and I knew these were my highest levels for clearing so I knew I was close, just couldn't let the pressure get to me.  I completed 2,3 and 4 with no issues, and then 5 came.  I had a path that hasn't changed since I started practicing this world, just needed to stick to it and I was done.  Made the first 2 jumps, forgot what I needed to do... Exit to map.  Attempt 2, cleared the second jump correctly and got the second key, made my way back to the 3rd key... Forgot my path again.  EXIT TO MAP.  And on the 3rd attempt... BOOOOOOOOOM TROPHY.

Edited by Deano1337
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Just want to say congrats to Postofficebuddy and Deano1337.

I guess I’ll start practicing too pretty soon.

You'll have it in no time dude, just don't give up. :)

I was only missing Demon Boy/Golden God trophies but thanks to the skill I'd built up through Impossible Boy, Demon Boy took me around 2 hours. I then cleared up the remaining few bandages I had left and there we go - platinum #100!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Deano1337 said:

BOOOOOOOOOM TROPHY.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:08 AM, postofficebuddy said:

IT IS DONE! 

Congrats from me too guys! Its amazing how fast you got it! Can you estimate what was the time you practiced the Impossible Boy before you got it? 

Me personally, like BakerJ, havent started to practice yet, because there is time until i hit #299 platinum, so im having a little break now. 

• Like 3

@Booster92BG I don’t know about Deano but for me it was more time than you might think. When I got to Impossible Boy I was basically no life-ing it. Practice as soon as I got home from work basically until I went to bed. I was worried about losing muscle memory if I stepped away from it for too long. Going by the time stamps it was only 6 days but it was probably between 30 and 40 hours in those 6 days. The first couple days were just getting more consistent at the levels. I didn’t start doing any dedicated runs until around the 24th. 

Edited by postofficebuddy
  • Like 4

Some pretty awesome stuff from you guys this week, wow! I wish I had half the patience and dedication that you guys did for this game, but I simply don't. I've all but given up on it because of how frustrating and mentally taxing this game is for me. I spent 7 hours on Missile Boy and died 15 times on runs that were between 13-18 levels back to back and my frustration with the game boiled over to a point where I realized I'm not having fun and simply playing the game just to brute force the trophies which has sucked the life out of gaming recently for me. I don't think I'll be going for the completion at all but I give kudos for those who have stuck it out, you guys are absolutely crazy. Lol!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Booster92BG said:

Congrats from me too guys! Its amazing how fast you got it! Can you estimate what was the time you practiced the Impossible Boy before you got it? 

Me personally, like BakerJ, havent started to practice yet, because there is time until i hit #299 platinum, so im having a little break now. 

I'm in the same bost as @postofficebuddy.  When it got to Impossible Boy, I was playing over my lunch hour and then a few hours every night so I'd say between 30 & 40 hours.  I just played through the world constantly and tried to make a mental note of where I failed more common, then practised that a bit.  But I always kept doing regular runs of the whole world just to make sure I didn't forget how to do some of the easier levels.

@Sword You're doing well bud, just remember though that it's not always about 100%ing everything.  It's probably a good idea to stop now while you're at the 'not having fun' stage because the last thing you want to do is get burnt out.  Admittedly there are frustrating moments, but I do possess some weird ability to mindlessly grind these sorts of things.  Take a step back, and you can always come back later and try again.  You've still done incredibly well to get any of the no death runs :)

• Like 3

Took me about 15 or so hours. Was about to give up last night but managed to string zombie boy together. Had a few deaths on the 2nd last level across the day.

Now to decide if im gonna have a dip at girl boy. Ill have to start trawling through everybody's posts and try to come up with a decent attack plan.

• Like 3

Little Impossible Boy update:

Did a second practice session tonight. Haven’t really tried going for runs yet. But I had a lucky 2 death run already when going from 1-20. Died at 9x and 15x. Practiced about four hours now so that’s some good progress.

The only levels I still can’t do consistently are 1x & 19x. 1x I can do about 50% of the time and 19x about 20%. Everything else is at least 80-100% succes rate, as I finally found a good way to pass 15x. 

Is there a specific spot where I need at start jumping in 19x? At the top I mean. So far I’m just going for it and hope it works. Got the rhythm down (I think) but I think I’m not starting from the correct spot every time...

Going to try runs starting Monday. Order I’m thinking about right now is 19, 1, 13-15, 9, 20, 2-8, 10-12, 17-18. I want to finish with the Oob level, knowing you’ve done it and waiting for the barrier to go away sounds good to me ?.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AUSTRALIANDJ said:

Took me about 15 or so hours. Was about to give up last night but managed to string zombie boy together. Had a few deaths on the 2nd last level across the day.

Now to decide if im gonna have a dip at girl boy. Ill have to start trawling through everybody's posts and try to come up with a decent attack plan.

Nicely done - some argue that zombie boy is the second hardest so I think you're already there - just a bit of practice and its yours. :)

9 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Is there a specific spot where I need at start jumping in 19x? At the top I mean. So far I’m just going for it and hope it works. Got the rhythm down (I think) but I think I’m not starting from the correct spot every time...

Going to try runs starting Monday. Order I’m thinking about right now is 19, 1, 13-15, 9, 20, 2-8, 10-12, 17-18. I want to finish with the Oob level, knowing you’ve done it and waiting for the barrier to go away sounds good to me 1f601.png.

19x.png

I tried my best to draw a line for what I got in my head what I needed to do.  Basically whenever I seen meatboy near the edge I'd jump and from then it's just timing - the more you do the better you get.  Of course across the top you should be holding right and not running. :)

It's interesting how whenever you actually play through this world, that it doesn't seem as intimidating!  Look forward to seeing your updates dude, good luck!

Edited by Deano1337
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Going to try runs starting Monday. Order I’m thinking about right now is 19, 1, 13-15, 9, 20, 2-8, 10-12, 17-18. I want to finish with the Oob level, knowing you’ve done it and waiting for the barrier to go away sounds good to me 1f601.png.

Besides what @Deano1337 said, I found helpful to do half of that row as soon as possible, then stop midway through to reposition myself, and do the rest of it. That increased my success rate a lot, because the rhythm you have to maintain is quite precise and it's easy to slip off by a bit when doing it seven times in a row, much better doing 4+3 or 3+4. You should have enough time to do so; if not, it is because there is a small bug that keeps giving you less and less time between the moments the wiggly path opens and closes, you just have to restart the game and try again.

• Like 2