Do you need to have played Valkyria Chronicles (1) first?

I don't think so, I'm not sure but maybe this game happe in the same world but many years after Chronicles, but if you can/want play Chronicle first, it's a very nice game and the story is amazing and you can becoming familiar with the game mechanic and how the game works.

Edited by AlchemistWer

I've played both VC2 before VC1, and even though 2 was the sequel of 1, I completely understood the story of the second game. I recently finished the first game story and the story is quite simple. What probably can happen is that there are going to be some cameos or some NPC reappearances (like Welkin and Alicia managing a shop on VC2, or Gallia's princess, Cordelia...).

But yeah, I recommend you play at least the first game to learn about the base game mechanic... I'm really excited to see the new mechanics and the new class for VC4.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, all.

Playing the first game as suggested is something I probably won't have time for before VC4 releases, but I did get a chance to try out the demo of VC4 yesterday and it's given me a pretty good feeling for how the games work. It seems like the game eases you into both its gameplay and its story, so doubts lifted, I guess.

It's not a sequel to VC1. It takes place at the same time, on a different "front" of the war I believe. There may be a little story overlap, for example missions where you're teamed up with the squad from VC1. It's been a while since I played VC1 though, and I can't remember if the squad from VC4 is mentioned in the first game.

Spoiler

You mentioned playing the demo, so I'll use an example here. Maximillian, who is referenced in dialog in the demo, features heavily in VC1.

The game takes place in the same time frame as the original VC but on a different front. (first one takes place on the Gallian Front, VC4 takes place on the federation front). Though you won't need to play the first one to get the 4th installment as the new game will explain the setting to you. However, you won't get the references to the first game if you haven't played it yet. @Ash Williams

42 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Hide contents

You mentioned playing the demo, so I'll use an example here. Maximillian, who is referenced in dialog in the demo, features heavily in VC1.

and don't forget that the invasion of Gallia was metioned

Edited by wackt1