VR broke two Dualshocks?

mittoucp

I set up my PlayStation VR about a week or two ago and since then I realised that two out of three of my Dualshock controllers just stopped charging. I've tried charging them using both USB ports on the PS4, my laptop and multiple wall plugs but nothing charges them. It's weird because the two that stopped working were both V1 controllers. One came with my PS4 when I bought it off of Amazon UK four years ago, and the other came from SimplyGames UK as a Dualshock on its own. The third controller I have I bought under a year ago and that is a V2. It seems to be unaffected by this problem, as are the two motion controllers which came bundled with the VR.

Usually I'd assume that the controllers are just on their way out if the problem happened to them individually, but the problem started around the same time after I set up my VR. The main Dualshock I use definitely did not have this problem before setting up my VR, I only noticed it the day after setting it up and I don't really use the second controller too much but I noticed the problem with that two days after set up. By this point I had not even set up the motion controllers so this problem wasn't caused by an overload of Bluetooth devices or anything. The problem also is not due to the console's USB ports as I've tried charging with different devices and with wall plugs as well as both ports available on the PlayStation. I've also tried multiple different micro USB cables to charge them, although I don't have the 'official' Sony one that came with the PS4 anymore, but I haven't used that since I got the console so I doubt that it will make much of a difference. I've also contacted Sony and gone through all of their troubleshooting here (https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/DualShock-4-Troubleshooting), including resetting the controller from the back, forgetting the device ect. and its gotten to a point where one of the controllers no longer can stay on long enough to connect back to the PlayStation. The headset being new, I think its a VR V2 if they exist, makes me suspicious that the VR update on my PS4 system may have caused the older model controllers to become obsolete but Sony have denied this being the case.

The second controller has, since the problem started, only worked for five or so seconds at time before turning off whether plugged in or not and does not charge at all, even in rest mode. The controller I use the most worked for a while as a wired controller, although it did not charge above 0 bars and it would die instantly once being unplugged from the wire, but it would continue to work provided that it was replugged shortly after being unplugged. I accidently left it unplugged last night while the PS4 was in rest mode and now it is having the same problem as the other controller, refusing to turn on for more than 5 seconds at a time regardless of it being plugged in or not.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their controllers? All the controller fixes I've found on the internet so far don't seem to work, such as holding down the PlayStation and share buttons simultaneously while reconnecting after resetting both the console and controller. I also can't find anything on the internet of something like this being caused by the VR specifically.

Does anyone have any potential fixes / suggestions for this issue? I'd much rather get it fixed here rather than spending a further £70 or so on replacements. The price of the VR alone, even at the discounted price I got it at, still to me doesn't justify the purchase.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had trouble charging all of my controllers until I got a dock. The port at the bottom seems to be way more reliable than the USB port on the back of the dual shock. I really only use that for syncing between different PS4s. 

1739098-sa.jpg

Edited by BigHonkingOne

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also got a charging dock, on main current. I have a ps4 pro so only have 3 ports. 1 for vr, 1 for headset and 1 for wireless keybord to search on you tube or whatever. A usb hub on your ps4 is only good for charging so no HDD, headset, vr, wireless keybord or other devices and only charges with the right settings in standby mode and in "on" mode of course.

• 2 months later...

I have the HDR PSVR (that's the V2) and I have a V1 & V2 controller that I have no issues with and that I pretty much exclusively charge through the PS4 itself (occasionally if my controller is abut to die, I simply pick up the cord that is plugged in under my couch to charge my controler while playing). I am in the US though, not the UK and I don't know if that would make a difference with how they push updates ETC

Edited by AmarisSkye

there is a pinhole in the back of your controller as a master reset button, push it with a paper clip and see if that helps by any chance. other then that my 2 controllers i got on release day of ps4 are both equally dying quick. they go down to 1 bar within a half hour. i als have vr and it didnt seem to impact me at all

Edited by melodicmizery