Is it Worth It?: A Veteran's Review

ddracarys

11 hours ago, ddracarys said:

It is unfortunate that you're letting somebody else's bad experiences get in the way of a potential good experience for you. Not to mention the counter review provided is over exaggerated and that all of the problems listed have been patched with the latest update of Shadow of the Tomb Raider (1.05). I can't guarantee you'll enjoy the game since our opinions obviously differ, but I can guarantee that you'll be missing out on key narrative for the Tomb Raider series. At the very least, you should play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on an alternative account to involve yourself in the terrific story.

Its not just his review its all the negative reviews combined.

To be honest tho - - I *WILL* platinum all the TR origin games -- I just need $60 or I gotta wait a year or two for the prices to be $9.99. I'm in no hurry.

9 hours ago, dokkanexpert said:

To be honest tho - - I *WILL* platinum all the TR origin games -- I just need $60 or I gotta wait a year or two for the prices to be $9.99. I'm in no hurry.

Well, in that case, I hope you find the extra money to enjoy the Tomb Raider series soon. If it helps, I frequently see Tomb Raider (2013) on sale for $10.00 NZD.

13 hours ago, EE815 said:

Alright for one playthrough but not much to replay there, unless you just really love the franchise. Definitely not worth $60.

Although I do agree that Tomb Raider (2013) and Rise of the Tomb Raider lack in replay value, Shadow of the Tomb Raider did introduce the pathways system, which does make for great replayability. I strived to purchase and fully upgrade every weapon too, a driving force that pushed me to play the game beyond my initial playthrough.

I have platinumed all 3 games and bought Shadow on release, but I agree with many of the negatives in this thread. The game has many problems, no replay worth and made me sell the game after I finished platinum.

It is sad though seeing how the game is already cut by 33% both on PS Store and as physical copies around stores in my country, makes me think that the game didn't sell well. Spiderman still sits at $60 and both were released around the same time

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Erkawest said:

It is sad though seeing how the game is already cut by 33% both on PS Store and as physical copies around stores in my country, makes me think that the game didn't sell well.

I don't think a sale warrants poor overall sales. There have been many instances when games (most commonly the smaller games) release on sale or with a discount.

• 1 month later...

Having recently finished SOTTR I must agree that this is the weakest of the trilogy. The gameplay itself is okay, though sometimes you miss jumps or Lara fails to grab on to a ledge for no apparent reason but the weakest aspect is the story.  It's sometimes hard to follow and feels a bit messy and bogged down. Also

Spoiler

you never quite feel that you defeated Trinity after the final battle. All you get is some radio chatter during the mission saying that the High Council has all been killed. Other than that it feels just like a regular boss fight with a quite forgettable boss.

All that being said, it's by no means a bad game, just weakest of the trilogy. I was never a big Tomb Raider fan, having only played a little bit of the first two games back in the 90s but these games definitely made me look forward to the next installment in the series.

I'd rate the trilogy as follows:

Tomb Raider - 9/10

Rise of the Tomb Raider - 8/10

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - 7/10

Edited by Janire1911

• 2 weeks later...

I would disagree with your review.

Trophies are like 6/10 since you cant do chapter select and have to do another playthrough due to all combat trophies are missable and so many trophies were glitched and ppl who wanted the platinum had to do another playthrough

Story is literally 5/10 for me... they just suddenly introduce Dominguez out of nowhere and it turns out hes the brother/cousin of Pattiti. She was being chased by Trinity the entire 2nd game in Rise. But now at the start of Shadow, she is already tailing Dominiguez at the first hour? It is that easy to find the leader to Trinity? Made no sense

Gameplay/Characters is 6.5-7/10 - while the difficulty system selection is great and thats what fans wanted. Combat isnt that innovative which isnt a big deal but still a bit of a downside. But the most annoying thing is that most of the NPCs have the exact same face and they just threw on a different skin color or different hairstyle. The same issue with Rise of the Tomb Raider... if all of the NPCs look the same, what makes one NPC more special? Its like the same person giving you all these side quests. You wouldnt see other GOTY titles such as uncharted series or rockstar made titles make multiple NPCs have the same face

Given it had a 33% discount 1 month after release, and now a 50% discount... the game isnt selling well at all. Sales isnt everything, but when sales are extremely disappointing, part is due poor marketing, but part of it is due to it being not as good as people thought it would be.

I dont regret buying the game as i wanted to finish the series.. but by far it is one of the weakest games ive played