PS now version of game

steel6burgh

If memory serves right you can click on the campaign and then you can choose if you want to play the original one or "Siberian Strike". If this choice is not present then chances are it is not included. But I have to mention that I had to download the "Siberian Strike" DLC although having bought the gold edition.

I will check my PS Now later and can give you a definite answer tomorrow.

• 2 years later...

Am i right in believing that no games on psnow have dlc included unless its an ultimate edition or something that would include the dlcs anyway, basically any dlc requiring a separate download from the base isnt included? This is why im not sure about investing in now unless theres a large no dlc catalog to burn through

7 minutes ago, Shmeefly said:

Am i right in believing that no games on psnow have dlc included unless its an ultimate edition or something that would include the dlcs anyway, basically any dlc requiring a separate download from the base isnt included? This is why im not sure about investing in now unless theres a large no dlc catalog to burn through

Correct. The vast majority of games on PS Now, don't include any DLC so unless the game is listed as a GOTY Edition of some kind, you're shit outta luck and will have to buy the retail version :(. The trophy lists are the same though so if a game has DLC trophies for the retail release, the Now version will use the exact same list.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

Yea its baffling why sony doesnt include all the full games, especially considered psnow is sooo weak compared with xbox live, trophy hunters are far more than 1%  of the gaming population and they render now kind of irrelevant to all of the 100% hunters at the cost of nothing, theyve excelled themselves by revolutionizing a new generation of console and for that i take bow, but in terms of being consumer friendly, across the board theyre stuck in the stone age, its still baffling to me that they charge full price on dlc and games on the ps3 as well, il wait until theres 20 or so games i wanna do on now that dont have dlc, but its sad i have to do so or id already be subscribed 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/2/2020 at 4:47 AM, Shmeefly said:

Yea its baffling why sony doesnt include all the full games, especially considered psnow is sooo weak compared with xbox live. its still baffling to me that they charge full price on dlc and games on the ps3 as well, il wait until theres 20 or so games i wanna do on now that dont have dlc, but its sad i have to do so or id already be subscribed 

This is only my opinion, but based on $ math, I have to disagree with parts of this statement. There are more than 20 games that interest me, so I bought PS Now and don't regret it. However, I agree that I wish more PS Now games included the full DLC suite.

Sony doesn't own the copyright to the DLC of most games in the PS Now library: the publishers and studios do. The publishers are all about money, so they want additional fees to lease digital copyright licenses of additional DLC to PS Now. If the bean counters at Sony believe including a particular game's DLC will raise interest and draw new subscribers to PS Now, Sony considers leasing the license for that one game. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed is one example. Star Wars is a big name game, guaranteed to draw interest. So Sony paid extra to lease the DLC license for SWTFU: Ultimate Edition.

Many gamers assume Sony owns the licenses to everything in the PSN Store, PS Plus, and PS Now. They don't. Sony's PSN Store, PS Plus, and PS Now are like amazon, in a digital sense. Amazon doesn't own the copyrights or licences of most items they sell. The publishers and manufacturers do. However, the publishers sell their goods using amazon/Sony's platform, and in exchange, amazon/Sony receives a percentage of the sales. 

Negotiations for additional digital content take time and money to coordinate, and it's not worth it for Sony to do that on most PS3 DLC content. For example, I wish Siberian Strike for Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 was included with PS Now. Will Sony send their $65,000/year employee to negotiate for DLC that perhaps 1000 people will play? No. They'll send that $65,000/year employee to Naughty Dog to negotiate including The Last of Us II on PS Now, because that's a big name game that generates interest, draws new subscribers to PS Now, and increases revenue. Sony will almost always go for the big fish. That's just good business practice: sell the product that gets the largest percentage of people to spend the most money. This is why I don't expect PS3 DLC to improve from its current state on PS Now; it's a lot of little fish that Sony can't really sell.

The reason Sony charge full price on DLC and PS3 games because they are intentionally phasing the PS3 out. As of June 2021 (not sure of exact date), Sony prohibited any further patches from being released for PS3 games. It costs them and publishers more to keep those servers running than the games bring in, so it's a business decision.

I wish they would do a blowout sale for PS3 DLC, but that's not going to happen.

The PS3's unique architecture makes it incompatible with PS4 and PS5. That's another reason they are phasing it out. If Sony had built the hardware differently, we would be able to play PS3 disks in the PS5 and man, who knows what would have happened to the PS3 store then. My guess is that during Covid, PS3 DLC and digital games sales would have been stronger. Sony shot themselves in the foot back in 2006 when they committed to the PS3's cell architecture, essentially alienating it from all future Playstation consoles. They most likely did not consider the long-range effect of this decision 15 years ago.

In general, I agree: PS Now is weak compared to Xbox live. PS Plus is weak too; I would say that even the Epic Games store is stronger than PS Plus (for PC players) since they give away 1-2 games free every week, and those games are occasionally newer releases. However, Sony is also Japanese, whereas Microsoft is American. The cultural mindsets are different. If you know anything about other Japanese companies, like Nintendo, their business models are different than their American counterparts. Nintendo was very slow to change, in "the stone age" as you put it. I think Sony is more like Nintendo than Microsoft in that sense.

Edited by poetic_justice_

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2018 at 9:23 AM, Bobble_DD said:

So I checked via PS Now and there is no option to start "Siberian Strike". 

From the PS Now menu, I streamed Sniper Ghost Warrior 2. On the main menu, if you click "Downloadable Content", a message pops up that says "There are no items that you can purchase at this time (8002E770)". The game then resets to the title logo and takes players back to the main menu. Unfortunately, the Siberian Strike DLC cannot be played on PS Now.

If players wish to play the Siberian Strike DLC, it is available in the PS3 store for $5 US. The Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 main game is also available for an additional $10 US. Players must add funds to their wallet before they can make purchase anything on the PS3 store. Details on that process are here: http://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/store/ps-store-top-up-wallet/

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Like 1