Yakuza HD Collection on Wii U

Lady Lilith

ku-xlarge-600x337.jpg

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/17/yakuza-1-2-hd-coming-to-wii-u-in-japan/

Via (shudder) Kotaku comes news that Yakuza 1&2 HD is making its way to the Wii U in Japan. Already released to PS3, the collection will be hitting the Wii U in August, and will utilize the GamePad by way of in-game maps and GamePad-only play. No mention has been made of a Western release, and given that the PS3 version has not made its way West, a Wii U Western release would be a bold move for Nintendo. Given the recent Sonic exclusivity announcement, making such a bold move isn’t such a crazy possibility for Nintendo and SEGA.

I'm pretty surprised the Yakuza IP is no longer Sony exclusive.

This partnership with Nintendo kinda worries me. I really couldn't care less that Nintendo fans get to enjoy Yakuza as well because I'm a fan of gaming and I see nothing wrong with more gamers enjoying a series, however with their biggest IP, Sonic, going exclusive after a few great games (Episode 4 I and II as well as Generations) I'm disappointed I won't get to enjoy any new games on my Vita, PS3 or PS4 but what worries me most is one of my favorite franchises of all time. With all these rumors of Shemue III finally in the works I will absolutely flip my shit if it is a WiiU exclusive. I know Sega have made quite a few mistakes in their time but if they make Shenmue III an exclusive to Nintendo I may just have to swear them off for good, and that is something I've never done for any developer.

This partnership also pretty much confirms there will never be a Dreamcast 2. Although how awesome would it be if Nintendo dropped out of the console race and was replaced by Sega?

Parker

sigh, I was really hoping for my Yakuza 5 localization too. Playing the demo isn't enough. Honestly, this announcement came way outta left field for me. I'm interested to see how this all works out.

I think is impossible. SEGA in s$%# right now. Making money from nothing is best politic, which they can now. Yakuza 5 localization is very expensive project and on over 9000 Sonic games for Android, IPhone and etc. I think so much of money does not earn. Hence is buying the Japanese version or forget about this game.

so far the HD collection is no longer sony exclusive, but the rest of the games like yakuza 3, 4, 5 are all exclusively for the ps3.

but something tells me sega is gonna do something stupid like always, like Nintendo might gonna pay them extra to make the yakuza series and the upcoming ones a Wii U exclusive and sega will agree, since sega already done this before with some of their games and Nintendo also did this before and they're known that they mostly hunting these 3rd party sony's exclusive and those games that read on them started first or home of origin the ps1, ps2, to get the gamers attention to their platforms especially with the Wii U, since it's not doing so well.  

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/05/19/yakuza-12-hd-wii-u-edition-screenshots-emerge/

yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-9-600x337.jpg
Its weird that SEGA has decided to port over Yakuza 1&2 HD to the Wii U. Maybe this is their first step in planning on bringing over the other Yakuza titles. Regardless, these two Yakuza titles (especially the second one) are the best Yakuza titles ever made. So if you never played a Yakuza game and they bring this over to America, do yourself a huge favor and pick it up.

Here we have screenshots. I know it isn’t fancy graphics, but they look rather nice for what they are; HD ports of Playstation 2 games. Hit the jump to see the rest of the screens.

yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-15-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-14-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-13-150x150.jpg
yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-12-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-11-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-10-150x150.jpg
yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-9-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-8-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-7-150x150.jpg
yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-1-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-3-150x150.jpg yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-4-150x150.jpg
yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-5-150x150.jpg

yakuza_1_2_hd_wii_u-6-150x150.jpg    

• 2 weeks later...

http://wiiudaily.com/2013/05/yakuza-hd-on-wii-u/

yakuza-bundle.jpg

During the last Nintendo Direct, we learned that Japan had an announcement that the rest of the world didn’t; Yakuza 1 & 2 would get an HD remake on the Wii U console. This pleased many fans of the series as it seemed to hint that the games would be coming to the west as well. Now Sega’s chief creative officer and Yakuza producer Toshihiro Nagoshi says it’s more an experiment than anything else.

“To be honest, we’re not aiming to see if the game will be a smash hit. Our real intention is that we want to see how people respond. The existing [Wii U] users are different [from PlayStation owners], so isn’t it hard to say if it makes sense?”

It makes sense to test the waters for something like this before throwing it into mass production, so how well this bundle sells in Japan will likely be tied to future Yakuza releases on Nintendo consoles, as well as whether or not this bundle will make its way to the Western market. Many seem to want it though, so that’s certainly a good sign. What do you think? Would you buy the bundle if it were made available to you?