What was GOOD about the PS3? (Plat Cast Topic)

Bushido7745785

The ps3 IMO is the system that brought this community together. Great gamers and trophy hunters sharing their love for gaming. Also playing for trophies has taken me beyond what i wouldve ever played. We can all take a look at our trophy list and find something we wouldve never played without them.  GAME ON

That Spider-Man font tho...

But in all seriousness, it was the real start of the trophy-hunting community, which for me personally had led to tons of fun adventures and good conversations. The sense of cooperation and community among trophy hunters, even between complete strangers, is so pure and good at a time where so many other things drive a wedge between us. 

Beyond that, I always felt its exclusives were underrated. Killzone 2's moody atmosphere and moral ambiguity set it apart from more traditional shooters like Halo, Heavy Rain is still wonderfully absurd, Demon's Souls (my first plat) basically revived an entire genre, Journey may be the most spiritual game ever made, I put more hours into Gran Turismo 5 (my greatest plat ever) than I can count, and of course The Last of Us and the Uncharted games set a new standard for cinematics in video games.

I do not miss those squishy trigger buttons, but that's another convo for next week.

Edited by JD-D2

The wireless controllers that only needed a 30 minute charge or so for hours of play and the (at the time) free multiplayer were GAME CHANGERS.

I think a lot of people don't realize how much competition Xbox was really giving the PS4 at the time despite Xbox's RROD. Xbox was killing it with their exclusives, had franchises (Gears of War, Halo, Forza) that were just as good and more popular than Sonys (Killzone, Uncharted, Gran Turismo). Then the Wii dropped as well as the 3DS and all of a sudden a lot of critics had Sony last. But a lot of innovation and refocus on their game lineups kept Sony in the race, especially towards the end of the consoles life, so much so that PS3 eventually ended up outselling the 360 over the course of the cycles life. 

We all know the effect that had on the PS4, especially as of late. In my opinion the past two years or so have been some of the best in gaming history when it comes to Sony and just games in general. PS2 is considered by many to be the greatest console ever (in terms of the amount of great games) but I think the PS4 will have it beat when it's done and I think that's because of the setup that the PS3 gave it. 

Edited by OneSkillPoint

If you have ps plus the ps3 can be set to turn on at a set time of every day to update/download anything without you having to do anything. The voice changer for mic was always entertaining at least I thought it was. PS one classics was a great thing about ps3, I personally have bought several of those since I no longer own the original playstation and the fact that those games are not that expensive either. The ps3 also gave us the start of the Little Big Planet series, the Uncharted series, the Last of Us, and the Infamous series.

I thought the design of the PS3 was the coolest thing in the world. When I saw the console for the first time in 5th grade it was love at first sight. How reflective the case was and how professional it looked too it had that, "Don't mess with me attitude" about it. I still have my original 80 gig Fat PS3, unfortunately it got the YLOD just shortly after The Last of Us came out so she lasted me the entire generation for which I am forever grateful for the years I spent playing games with it.  RIP ?

The trophies of course, which had a more interesting visual flair than just points.

The selections of games were great, with only a select few exclusives getting left out for the 360. The (limited) option to play PS2 discs, and the universal option to play PSX was a huge plus for me.

The wireless controllers that were RECHARGEABLE.

The default built in memory totaling much more than a measly 4 gb.

The simple XMB menus, which could be spiced up with themes alot more than the ones on 360.

The DVD/blu-ray player.

The ability to play for free online (for a while, anyways)

And, as @MySenkai (and nobody else yet) mentioned, the ability store pictures, music and videos.

Not to knock opinions or anything, but I seriously wonder how people could consider the PS4, with it's few admittingly nifty features, could be considered a definite step UP from everything the PS3 had almost right off the bat.

• 4 years later...