Can you get network pass by buying the game digitally?

WeprCZ

If you purchase the digital version you automatically get the Network Pass as the separate download which is this item:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/cid=EP9000-BCES01741_00-ONLINEPASS00000R

There shouldn't be any problem as you have to install it normally and it isn't tied into the main download. And according to the store's description it also says that you should buy that item if the download code in the physical version was already used or has expired.

I wanted to ask why you want to purchase the whole game if you only need the code but now I see it:
The game is on sale for 5€ and they still charge 10€ for the online pass. Good move Sony. :facepalm: 

I think every digital game in existence would come with the online features enabled if the online servers are still up. The reason online passes existed is so Sony could make money from the games even if people bought a used copy, because most used copies come with an invalid online pass. It was funny when last gen people were saying "PSN is better than Xbox live because PSN is free", when if you calculate the price of all the online passes that were on Sony's games it would come to a price that costs more than the yearly Xbox live subscription. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers. Now i can buy and finally finish all God of War games on PS3. And yeah, as a former Xbox owner it definitely was cheaper overall (and paying 10€ for one trophy, becase I am not going to bother with multiplayer otherwise, is just ridiculous)

8 minutes ago, WeprCZ said:

Thanks for the answers. Now i can buy and finally finish all God of War games on PS3. And yeah, as a former Xbox owner it definitely was cheaper overall (and paying 10€ for one trophy, becase I am not going to bother with multiplayer otherwise, is just ridiculous)

Thats exactly my situation. Borrowed the game from a friend and I am still missing that "Blood Boath" trophy for the platinum. They won't get those 10$ from me lol

On 12/18/2018 at 4:05 AM, Sergen said:

I think every digital game in existence would come with the online features enabled if the online servers are still up. The reason online passes existed is so Sony could make money from the games even if people bought a used copy, because most used copies come with an invalid online pass. It was funny when last gen people were saying "PSN is better than Xbox live because PSN is free", when if you calculate the price of all the online passes that were on Sony's games it would come to a price that costs more than the yearly Xbox live subscription. 

I remember this. Then in May 2011 when PSN had it’s entire service unusable and crippled people flocked over to the Xbox 360. Thinking at the time that they’re going to get something better because you have to pay for Xbox Live Gold, which is a requirement for playing online. 

An entire generation later and everybody has to be a Plus member to play online. Sony is in a completely different position now than they were back in 2011. They have become cock headed and full of their own shit because they are completely dominating the competition. 

• Like 2

I really feel like the online pass should go on sale whenever the base game does but that never seems to be the case. Just the other day I bought GRID 2 in the store at a discounted price, just so I did not have to buy the more expensive online pass for the physical copy I already had. It just feels wrong :)

Edit: I also had to buy one for F1 2011. I paid 8 euro to race against nobody on empty servers after picking up the game itself for 3. I boosted one evening to get the plat and I will probably never play online again. Oh well...

Edited by pinkrobot_pb

12 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

I really feel like the online pass should go on sale whenever the base game does but that never seems to be the case. Just the other day I bought GRID 2 in the store at a discounted price, just so I did not have to buy the more expensive online pass for the physical copy I already had. It just feels wrong :)

Edit: I also had to buy one for F1 2011. I paid 8 euro to race against nobody on empty servers after picking up the game itself for 3. I boosted one evening to get the plat and I will probably never play online again. Oh well...

Sadly the PS3 is mostly ignored at this point in time so the online passes will probably never see a price cut. 

I had to buy an online pass for Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One to get the online trophies. The other way is to play the game through PS Now but I’m not wasting money on that when I have a backlog of PS3 games I need to sort through.