How many hours of lessons did you need?

Jayke_1991

I'm about to book a load of driving lessons cause i'm sick of the bus. 

I am meeting up with my instructor tomorrow and we agreed I would give her £400 for 22 hours of lessons.

I'm just curious as to how many lessons you guys needed before you passed your test with a for a car?

I've grown up on the family farm so I learned to drive the lawn mower and 4 wheel by the time I was 8. And I was driving the old pickup by 13, so I really only needed the required number of hours by law (I think 6 instructed hours in the car + the class I had to take for a quarter). It all just depends on the person, though.

I'm thinking I got parental "lessons" that totalled about 1 hour. Then, it just came down to practicing and getting instructions/feedback on-the-fly. I took my driver's test about a month after getting my permit and passed first time up. How that correlates to overall time, i'm not sure.

You just need to know the main rules of the road and the key points the instructors are looking for. i.e. seatbelt, checking mirrors, hands at 10 and 2, etc...

Good luck :)

Honestly when i took lessons my instructor was so bad I actually got worse at driving. She was constantly undercutting my driving and would use her wheel and break way more than she should have.

I dumped her after a couple of lessons and just starting working with my Mom. My confidence rose and I was able to go for my license after about a month.

I'm thinking I got parental "lessons" that totalled about 1 hour. Then, it just came down to practicing and getting instructions/feedback on-the-fly. I took my driver's test about a month after getting my permit and passed first time up. How that correlates to overall time, i'm not sure.

You just need to know the main rules of the road and the key points the instructors are looking for. i.e. seatbelt, checking mirrors, hands at 10 and 2, etc...

Good luck :)

I was told by my instructor a couple of years ago that they have since changed the suggested hand position to "9 & 3" so your arms are more out of the way of the airbag. Something about people with broken arms and airbag burns lol.

Although I find it more comfortable at 10 & 2 myself, actually I usually just drive with one hand at about 7 lol.

Edited by Myers
  • Like 1

I learnt to drive during the only time I've been unemployed.

I started the week after my 18th birthday (which was in the January) and I passed my test first go in October the same year.

I had 1 lesson each week as that's all I could afford, best thing I ever spent my money on.