Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

xVolloxx

serves him right - psyco

Serves him right?

Are you out of your mind?

I realize you are only 14 and might not understand the situation but 8 fucking years is more than half your fucking age

I agree that his comment wasn't very appropriate, due to recent events I think it was offensive, just put I'm in jail for a night so he gets scared straight, staying there for 8 years will mess his whole life up

I get my mind blown every week by some shit I hear happened on America, doesn't mean it's the only place it happens, it's just what I hear the most, messed up world this one

Serves him right?

Are you out of your mind?

I realize you are only 14 and might not understand the situation but 8 fucking years is more than half your fucking age

I agree that his comment wasn't very appropriate, due to recent events I think it was offensive, just put I'm in jail for a night so he gets scared straight, staying there for 8 years will mess his whole life up

I get my mind blown every week by some shit I hear happened on America, doesn't mean it's the only place it happens, it's just what I hear the most, messed up world this one

Even one night is too much, yes the joke was inappropriate but i heard worse stuff online and the people that said it aren't in prison and some of them were American also the 4 months already messed him up he was on suicide watch.

serves him right - psyco

No he doesn't deserve this. Also do you know what psycho even means? My ex gf is a psycho because she tried to stab me yet she is not in prison so going to prison for a dumb joke is stupid. Between he was 4 months in there and he was beaten,abused and on suicide watch for one joke how would you like it if that happened to be you?

Also the kid was bailed by an anonymous person for $500,000.

Edited by WolfyRaiden

Did he deserve the full 8 years? No. But he did deserve to learn a lesson. He deserved to get locked up for a little while to learn that he shouldn't be an idiot. Not have his dad and a bunch of interneters trying to get him out of his punishment. He screwed up - he needs to deal with it. I will say I'm glad to see someone bailed him out. Hopefully, he won't screw up like that again.

There's a little thing called "Unprotected Speech", it's not covered by the first amendment, and it includes things like hate speech - such as racial slurs used to belittle another party, and threats of physical, financial and emotional trauma. What he said falls under this category of "Free Speech" - and it means what he said is, well, unprotected.

Freedom of Speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want to say whenever you want to say it. It never has.

It means you can voice your opinion under the thought that you may, keyword being may, not be prosecuted for it. Unprotected Speech, however, has none of those benefits. He has the right to say it - but anyone else has the right to take action against him for saying it.

"I was just joking" has never been an excuse. Try walking into an airport and yelling "BOMB!" and see if you walk back out of there, free as a bird after you tell them "It was just a joke." You also can't go and yell "HELP!" when you don't actually need help.

His little "joke" was poorly timed - there had just been a college shooting, IN TEXAS, a few months before he said this. And it was just plain bad taste.

He's an 18 [Now 19] year old, legal adult [Not an Elementary school kid, like someone thought]. This is the result of being ignorant. He should have known better.