Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

xVolloxx

Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

Carter was playing Riot’s hit MOBA game (League Of Legends) in February and jokingly responded to another player’s comment. His words, according to Carter’s father Jack, were “Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts,” followed by “lol” and “jk”. 

''Here is the whole news story below complete with all the quotes from the notorious quote that got him into trouble, to his family responding to even the police justifying this. This is just flat out pathetic'' - AlphaOmegaSin 

Texas teen makes violent joke during video game , is jailed for months

Daily Callerhttp://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

Facebook Comment Lands League Of Legends Player in Jail 

Kotaku : http://kotaku.com/league-of-legends-player-jailed-after-terrorist-threat-610691101

Edited by TheBolloxx

Humans are fuckin' stupid. Bunch of oversensitive pansies. Although I will say that the joke was in bad taste. Maybe police showing up and questioning the kid or something would have been more reasonable but putting him in jail for 8 years? Oh btw he lives in Texas so he could get the death penalty and be executed. =*^-^*= 5H0 K4W411

Edited by Deth
  • Like 2

Humans are fuckin' stupid. Bunch of oversensitive pansies. Although I will say that the joke was in bad taste. Maybe police showing up and questioning the kid or something would have been more reasonable but putting him in jail for 8 years? Oh btw he lives in Texas so he could get the death penalty and be executed. =*^-^*= 5H0 K4W411

I like how they are going to waste resources to arrest a kid for making a joke.

Edited by shutyourmcface

Let's live by a piece of paper and let "authority" control us. 'Murican Friedumb!

...I don't need some 250+ year old piece of paper telling me how to live my life. I know the difference between right and wrong. I certainly don't need authoritative figures approaching me with accusations or "suspicion". The high school i attended required that you carried a mesh or clear sack/backpack because of an incident. If a student, or anyone for that matter, is going to bring a weapon to harm others, they don't need a bag to do so.. I'll stop here but seriously, this is bullshit.

Edited by Serge

Don't make jokes about bombs on an airplane and don't make jokes about shooting up schools on facebook ( I don't fully understand how it's a facebook comment but also linked to an online game ) but really don't make jokes about shooting up schools anywhere. I feel bad for that kid and certainly this punishment is well excessive I'm just saying that hopefully other people will learn from this and that, agree with it or not, even freedom of speech has certain restrictions and you will stay away from those if you know what's good for you. Unless you want to be a martyr and go suffer for ideological principals, in which case, good for you.

• Like 2

The kids a fucking idiot. While the kid may not deserve to go to jail, I'd leave him with the father of a Sandy Hook victim for a good half an hour or so, to teach him not to take school shootings so lightly. 

Oh, and before any of you go and get upset about the dumbass going to "jail," if he is under 18 the juvenile centers are a joke. They're nothing close to actual jail, but if he is over 18 (I couldn't find his actual age in the article) he's going to be with the big boys. 

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind shit like this absolutely has to be investigated, especially after the shit that has already happened. People love to blame to police for everything and right now they're complaining that they're holding this kid, well think if his comment wasn't taken seriously and two days later he shot his school up. Guess who'd get blamed, why the police of course. There would be an outrage because his comments were obviously public and the police should have done something, yada yada yada. 

If you don't want to get treated like a piece of shit, don't act like a piece of shit, simple as that. 

Parker

He was 18, already turned 19 behind bars. He's been in jail for a few months. I have heard a helluva lot worse on facebook. I don't even think he was making light of school shootings. He was using it as the hyperbole of insanity, which means it is something in his mind that is the extreme limit of insanity, not something that is mildly insane. "Investigated" would be fine, but if they had turned up evidence that he was going to act other than a one off comment punctuated with "lol" and "jk" it would have been all over the news. We're not talking about someone getting offended and writing him hate mail, we're talking about 8 years in prison for something said. That punishment does NOT fit this so-called "crime."

Edited by siuilarun
  • Like 3

He was 18, already turned 19 behind bars. He's been in jail for a few months. I have heard a helluva lot worse on facebook. I don't even think he was making light of school shootings. He was using it as the hyperbole of insanity, which means it is something in his mind that is the extreme limit of insanity, not something that is mildly insane. "Investigated" would be fine, but if they had turned up evidence that he was going to act other than a one off comment punctuated with "lol" and "jk" it would have been all over the news. We're not talking about someone getting offended and writing him hate mail, we're talking about 8 years in prison for something said. That punishment does NOT fit this so-called "crime."

Not gonna' happen. I see dumbasses in and out of jail for more serious crap than what this kid did, I'd say when it goes to trial he'll get a slap on the wrists and go home. I wonder what his bond is?

Parker

Edited by Parker

Do people not know how sarcasm works?  Have they never heard a joke in their entire life?  Can they not form simple conclusions based on the context of any given situation?

This is absolutely ludicrous.  So... what?  Are they now going to arrest every single actor who's ever played a bad guy because they said things like that in a public venue?  Are they going to arrest the artists of various comic strips for writing the dialogue for their more "disturbed" characters or exaggerated personas?  Are we now supposed to live in fear that we'll be arrested on any given day for playfully telling our friends or siblings "I'm going to kill you!" when they perform a less-than-desirable action or say something mildly offensive? 

This needs to stop.  We've become a nation of coddled, paranoid, finger-pointing, sue-happy jackasses.  Use some basic goddamn intelligence, America.  Christ.  XP

• Like 2

I like the idea of freedom of speech, but it loses it's appeal when I always see it being used to excuse incredibly stupid people like this kid. I think the initial punishment is overboard though. Much like a lot of other charges, that really is not how this should be handled.

Edited by SMamimi
  • Like 1

Wow... 

1st of all, that lady who searched him up on Google and told the police, is to be very honest an asshole and creepy, I mean who searches up an elementary kids info on Google? Only Pedophiles do that

2nd of all, Michael Jackson's killer got sentenced 4 years in prison, this kid got sentenced 8 years for saying something on the internet sarcastically, this world is messed up 

Edited by Azaan60
  • Like 2

Wow... 

1st of all, that lady who searched him up on Google and told the police, is to be very honest an asshole and creepy, I mean who searches up an elementary kids info on Google? Only Pedophiles do that

2nd of all, Michael Jackson's killer got sentenced 4 years in prison, this kid got sentenced 8 years for saying something on the internet sarcastically, this world is messed up 

He's facing 8 years, hasn't been sentenced, there is a huge difference. I'll be surprised if the kid does any time on his sentence. 

Parker