How are these trophy unlocks possible?

Blonde-Boy01

Hey just came back here since Borderlands 2 is free this month, and I noticed a few odd trophy lists for a few people.

How is it possible for people to have unlocked location and side quest trophies without even having the first story mission (the one where you get a gun from Claptrap)? Also some people have unlocked story mission trophies out of order. 

Example:

ZbD0NrS.png

EDIT: Just had an idea, could this be possible by people joining other people using online? If anyone can verify this please do. 

Edited by Rusty2366

It would definitely be down to autopopping. I vaguely remember the location trophies being prone to this. I checked my own trophies and all my location ones popped within a minute of each other and if it were anything more complicated than that I believe i'd remember. Plus i remember importing my character after finishing the game and whatnot which seems to line up with the dates achieved.

I never played alone, I just joined other Random Players Sessions and the Trophies popped normally when we finished the Missions.

1 hour ago, Blonde-Boy01 said:

Example:

EDIT: Just had an idea, could this be possible by people joining other people using online? If anyone can verify this please do. 

I can confirm that. Look in my Profile and you can see I have a Trophy for a Mission, but the 3 Missions before I don't have yet.

Edited by Sikutai
  • Like 1

Both games can be played in split screen, causing weird trophy pops in the PS3 version sometimes. Both games also support a cross save transfer feature, causing things to autopop if then started in the other version. And both versions support online play, letting you start anywhere in the game by joining a friends game in progress.

Nothing to worry about.

Edited by B1rvine

10 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Both games can be played in split screen, causing weird trophy pops in the PS3 version sometimes. Both games also support a cross save transfer feature, causing things to autopop if then started in the other version. And both versions support online play, letting you start anywhere in the game by joining a friends game in progress.

Nothing to worry about.

But it's happening to people on PS4, who never owned the PS3 or Vita versions as well? 

25 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

I never played alone, I just joined other Random Players Sessions and the Trophies popped normally when we finished the Missions.

I can confirm that. Look in my Profile and you can see I have a Trophy for a Mission, but the 3 Missions before I don't have yet.

Oh gotcha, thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Yes, some trophies auto-pop. Luckily, even some of the longer DLC-trophies. But mostly for exploration, levels & gear, kills and challenges upon doing "one more of them"

And if you transfer your character to PS4 and simply continue playing where you left off, you would earn the later story trophies first and would need a new playthrough to get the earlier ones.

I myself transferred my character from PS3 while playing my second Ultimate Vault Hunter Mode (so basically New Game ++).

So in the end, I was missing 5 story-related trophies. Went back to another save to get three of them. And finally started a new game overall to get the remaining two and the Plat :)

(And to your question: Yes, if you simply join other peoples games, you would earn the trophies out of order, too. It was the same on PS3 and also in Borderlands 1, if I remember correctly.

Edited by dalailama1989

5 hours ago, Blonde-Boy01 said:

But it's happening to people on PS4, who never owned the PS3 or Vita versions as well? 

If it's just quest order, then it's possible by joining other people's games.

Edited by B1rvine

• 1 month later...

Can't you join a co-op partner who's progressed much further than you in the story and unlock campaign mission trophies out of order?

Let's say you haven't completed the third mission yet (“The Road To Pandora”) but you join a friend who's playing through the "A Train To Catch" mission and you unlock the Wilhelm Screamed trophy upon them turning it indespite not completing previous missions before.

So yeah, it’s completely legit (even for those who aren't using the cross-save feature).

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the release of the Commander Lilith DLC, there is now an option to immediately create a level 30 character that has completed all of the story missions except for the last one. You don't get trophy pops until you either play through the story missions on New Game+ or with a different character. They wanted people who had never played Borderlands 2 to be able to jump in and play the Commander Lilith DLC in preparation for the Borderlands 3 release.

For anyone curious how to do this, press triangle on the main menu to select a different character. You'll see the options to create a level 30 character there.

• Like 1