Haven't played it yet, need advice

I haven't played the Red Dead Redemption series yet, but I was told it's a prequel and don't have to play the first, is that true? I can get ahold of both if needed.

It looks really good, I'm a fan of open world games and I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn, NieR Automata, Days Gone, Final Fantasy XV, Tomb Raider and others. Big fan of the wild west, so that's a plus, but just want to know also what game is it similar to, meaning gameplay mechanics.

Anyone's explanation is welcome.

Edited by Nitemares-----

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a direct prequel to the original game. Several of the events in the game as well as the main characters are ones that are either present or referenced in the first game. So if you play RDR first, you'll likely have a very different view on some of the characters in 2 as well as their development.

That said, you don't absolutely have to play RDR first, as the second game will still play just fine as a standalone. Gameplay-wise they are fairly similar, except the second game has much more of everything and the world just feels more dense and alive.

Yes it's a prequel and not playing the previous game won't have an impact. Not playing RDR1 would stop you wondering about characters and their stories.

Just dive into RDR2 and enjoy it. Then if you want to play RDR1 to continue the story, you can.

Edited by Feral

Usually it's better to play the games that came out first in the chronological order of release, for better understanding of the stories and characters. Like for example in the Metal Gear series. But I'd say it's different with Red Dead Redemption. You could easily start with RDR2 and then play RDR1 after it. I wonder how you will look at the story development from this perspective then, I really do. Would like to be in that position. I'd say give it a try! Start with RDR2 first!

Just be sure that the mechanics in RDR1 are old now and not as complex as in RDR2. Also less detailed. But less detailed doesn't mean it's bold, believe me! RDR1 was one of the best games of the PS3 era with lots of things to explore, to do and to enjoy. And both games have long stories. And good stories! Best thing is the fit together so well! To me it's Rockstar at it's best, even better than Grand Theft Auto. I wish you a good time with those games and hope you enjoy them as much as I did and still do.

• Like 2