SupergiantStarr’s Supergiant Backlog

Welcome back from hiatus and nice collection! Did you mean to say you don't have a PS3 anymore in your intro?

I really liked my time with 2064 ROM. Are you also interested in playing VA-11 HALL-A too? And I'm biased when saying this, but Yakuza is amazing and hope you experience it soon. Not sure if you'd want to play the series chronologically, but if so, then Yakuza 0 is the place to start.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #117 :platinum:

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

Lc44c4f.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 2 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours

I've been sitting on this one for a while after buying it for five bucks and I'm glad it's over and done with. I remember really enjoying it on the PS3 (which I also platinum'd six years ago) mostly for its absurd open world jank. But wowzers, Wei Shen is just one more dude in a long list of unlikable open-world protagonists. It was so weird seeing (Academy Award Winner) Emma Stone in the credits, only for her to play "Generic Attractive Lady" for one side mission. Definitely feels like a weird, unmissed era for games.

The trophies definitely feel like busywork. There are a loooot of collectibles scattered through the map and almost just as many side missions. Very, very repetitive. And this "definitive" edition doesn't really do the game any favors. It's still janky as heck and it isn't the prettiest thing to look at either. 

I've also reached 100% completion for Marvel's Spider-Man after completing the DLC. I'll be working on DLC for Sleepy Dogs also, but it shouldn't take too long to reach 100%. Since I've still got an open world itch, I'll be starting over on Mad Max.

Congrats on Sleeping Dogs and good luck with the rest of your journey! I finished CSD2 on PC some were quite challenging, especially before they made the balancing changes (I assume this did happen to PS4 aswell, or got released in a more balanced state to begin with). I assume CSD2 will be really though with a controller, on the pc some keybinds were more logical so respect if you manage to finish this game. Graveyard keeper also looks like a really enjoyable game, have fun with that one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Congrats on Sleeping Dogs and good luck with the rest of your journey! I finished CSD2 on PC some were quite challenging, especially before they made the balancing changes (I assume this did happen to PS4 aswell, or got released in a more balanced state to begin with). I assume CSD2 will be really though with a controller, on the pc some keybinds were more logical so respect if you manage to finish this game. Graveyard keeper also looks like a really enjoyable game, have fun with that one. 

Thanks! So far it feels like completing it will be extremely hard with the controller. Sometimes I feel like it's definitely hindering me for some of those gold medals. Some of those restaurants feel impossible in the later stages. And I highly recommend Graveyard Keeper, it's very chill.

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #118 :platinum:

Mad Max

L9b0022.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 3 years, 3 weeks, 2 days

The trophy 'Up To The Task' is apparently notoriously bugged and I got hit with it on my first attempt at the platinum years ago. I finally went back and, after meticulous notes and another 30 hours of collectathons, I managed to get my platinum!

Overall, I really like Mad Max but I wish I loved it, especially after the incredible Fury Road. The story behind the development is pretty wild. Warner Bros was so scared that they'd be losing money, so they took all of George Miller's notes on the franchise - which extended beyond Fury Road and into potential sequels - and dumped them all on Avalanche who formed a game out of all the mess. What we get is a game that is more or less creatively bankrupt and, considering George Miller's name is found nowhere in the credits, isn't even canon. Weirdly enough, Max originally spoke with an American accent during their reveal trailer, only to change it later in production. Plus, there's just some really bad, tired tropes littered throughout which leads up to a third act that's more or less too edgy-grimdark to enjoy. 

All that being said, I will say that they crafted a fun game. There's plenty to do, albeit everything gets fairly repetitive. The car combat is fun with some good, chunky explosions. Destroying cars hasn't felt this good in a while. It's just too bad that it's an open world mess of bugs, including - sadly for me - trophies. I'd be interested in a very unlikely sequel, but only if I could play Furiosa to be honest.

I've removed Neverwinter from my currently playing. I'm in the endgame and the new patch dropped recently which changed everything. Honestly, I have no idea where to even start with that game. I've re-started on my Doom platinum! It ALSO bugged on me for my first 100% run years ago and my save data has already been corrupted on the second attempt at the platinum. I'm dying. The luck is bad. Also, I signed up for the Gaming by Numbers event which should help motivate me. I didn't have to platinum Mad Max for it, but I just really wanted it out of my backlog.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #119 :platinum:

Doom

L791aa7.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 2 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 12 hours

This is another one, along with Mad Max, that bugged on me for my first go around. Luckily, all I had to do was start a new game and get all of the challenges complete in one playthrough - no replaying missions for fear of getting bugged again. Unluckily, my save file corrupted on its own after using Save & Quit after completing a mission half way through my playthrough. So then I had to start over from scratch once more. But now it's done!

I really don't have much to complain about with Doom. It's a rock solid shooter that knows what it is and amps everything up to a level of absolute mastery. It's fast, it's kinetic, it's got good chunky explosions, and it's just a blast to play. In fact, the only complaint I have - aside from all the tracking bugs and save data issues - is that I genuinely have to take breaks because it makes me too anxious to play. Which is less of a complaint and more of a praise, I guess. "I had to stop playing because I thought I might be having a heart attack." Put that on the back of the box.

This one was done for the Gaming by Numbers community event. 3 down, 7 to go. Going straight into Ether One. I could use a nice, relaxing game after this.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #120 :platinum:

Ether One

L99ac32.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 3 years, 6 months, 2 weeks

Like most people, I first played this when it became free on PS+ because nothing else was grabbing my attention. And, apparently like most people, I quickly lost interest without a guide. In retrospect, I really wish I had stuck with it.

I've seen a lot of people classify this as a 'walking simulator' which I can't really agree with. Yes, you definitely do a lot of walking and yes, it has a deeply threaded dramatic narrative that persists throughout, but there are some puzzling mechanics that you have to work through in order to progress. This makes it much more like a first-person adventure game, albeit one with A LOT of red herrings. This could be chalked up to bad design, but as I continued to pay more attention to the "world" that was constructed around me, the puzzles made sense. And ultimately, I was hit pretty hard by the ending. Anyway, it's 2019 and no one's really looking for hot takes on Ether One, but I really did end up enjoying it. Plus, I really love that I went from playing the Doom Slayer to a

Spoiler

dying man with dementia, wandering a very peaceful landscape.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #121 :platinum:

Assassin's Creed Origins

L86b5aa.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 1 year, 5 months, 4 weeks, 18 hours, 17 minutes

Looking at my profile, I can tell there were long gaps where I just didn't really care about trophies. It definitely seemed like the case with this one. It took me only a couple of hours to clean up from my finished playthrough over a year ago and get the platinum.

Overall, I like Origins but I didn't really LOVE it. I think it's a middle-tier Assassin's Creed, in there with 2 and Retribution. My favorites being Syndicate and Black Flag. Liberation may be up there too, but Evie Frye is a badass. I still haven't played Odyssey, but Kassandra also seems rad as heck. Origins just seemed like a step in the right direction for the franchise, but it just seemed like a lot of busywork. The setting was gorgeous - and playing through the Tour DLC made me appreciate it much more - but Bayek just didn't really grab me. It definitely seemed much more action oriented than stealthy. Maybe I just miss really good stealth games. Or maybe they were never good in the first place! I guess my entire opinion on Origins is "really pretty but otherwise okay."

1f4af.png1f4af.png1f4af.png

Inside

L31adda.png

Gap between First Trophy and 100%: 2 years, 6 months, 3 weeks

Here's another one that I played through without caring about the trophies. I found a few of the secrets, but never felt like going back after playing through it the first time.

Inside is definitely one of those games where I would just rather play through it once and have that experience last forever. I would love to play through Inside for the first time again, it's such a trip. Going through it again, it was definitely easy to notice the little things spread throughout that connect to the deeper narrative. I'm sure there are endless videos that go on to explain the in-depth lore of Inside by now. I love it much more than I did Limbo and I'm absolutely looking forward to playing whatever Playdead has cooking up right now.

That was a big update after only a few days! The good news is that I've knocked out a good chunk of my Gaming by Numbers playlist. The bad news is that I'm no longer sitting at my very nice game completion rate of 69%. Starting from scratch with BioShock 2 now!

• Like 1

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #122 :platinum:

The BioShock Collection - BioShock 2

L6a52c8.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 2 days, 4 hours, 39 minutes

This is the first game on my backlog that I haven't already had sitting in my profile. But I had downloaded this as part of the BioShock collection to get the first game at 100% and didn't want to re-download it to play BioShock 2. Thankfully BioShock Infinite is a separate download because I am all BioShocked out. Frankly, I never want to spell BioShock again for the rest of my time talking about it.

The second game feels very different from the first. But, strangely, I don't think that this was a bad thing. I think it's weird that this is essentially "Part 2" because that's not what it feels like at all. It feels like an extension of Rapture, sort of like it's own thing that takes the mythos and setting from the first game and explores different parts and characters. I don't see it as an empty, hollow cash grab that people seem to make it out to be. Granted, in some ways it most definitely is. The whole "You Are The Big Daddy" thing is a bit cornball but it works. The Big Sisters are a really neat addition too. Also, Minerva's Den was one of the earliest examples of how to create great DLC. It's a really neat contained story that is compelling for a fraction of the time spent in the core game. The Protector Trials definitely less so. 

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #123 :platinum:

Rocket League

Lfa8657.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 4 years (!), 2 weeks, 5 days

My biggest gap yet! I think. At least since I've started this. I have a lot of good memories of Rocket League. Alas, friends have moved on and it's a different experience entirely playing alone. I'm not sure why I didn't go for the platinum, considering it only took an hour or two to clean up.

There's not much to say about Rocket League that hasn't already been said. It definitely feels like an iconic game of this generation that created its own little bubble, much like PUBG. It took a little bit to get back into it - I'm extremely bad - but it definitely felt like riding a same old bike that someone had put spinning rims and pretty glitter on. I'm also going for all of the DLC (there's a LOT) but thankfully most of I've been able to scrape by in exhibition mode by myself. I don't do too well in a competitive setting. I definitely don't see myself playing any more of this once I've got 100%.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #124 :platinum:

guiv4e6.png Level 33 guiv4e6.png

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Ldf8263.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 3 years, 11 months, 3 weeks

Another big gap! So, I may have an unpopular opinion about this game. I love it. I absolutely love it. When I first played it, I was absolutely not in a good place. I'm not going to get too deeply personal or anything, but it just spoke to me in a lot of on-the-nose ways. Plus I was smoking a lot of weed around that time. After I played it the first time, I felt like trophy hunting to get the platinum would cheapen the experience, so onto the backlog it went.

I know that walking simulators aren't exactly popular or well-loved within the gaming community. I'm not sure exactly what the folks on PSNP think of it, but it encapsulates a lot of themes about love and life and death and grief in ways that I just wasn't expecting. Even for a game that's essentially called "Everyone's Dead". This is definitely partly thanks to the particularly lovely music and most definitely thanks to some top tier acting. Say what you will about the genre, but if you can tell a good story and keep me engaged throughout, I'm going to love it. I love this game more than I hate the character Stephen, so that's saying something. Also I don't think the walking speed was particularly frustrating. In a game where literally everyone else is dead, I was pleased to just take my time.

This was another big update! And I'm almost done with the Gaming by Numbers event! This'll probably be my last update in a while, considering that my next task is beating Witcher 3 on the hardest difficulty setting. Something I've been meaning to do for a while, but that'll close out the event for me. Plus, I'll be boosting the last of what I need for my Rocket League 100%. From there, I'm not sure what I'll do! If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #125 :platinum:

L4a541a.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 4 years, 2 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours

This game was definitely a rollercoaster for me. When I first got it, I fell off very early. Then I picked it up again a couple years ago, played through it on normal difficulty and got all of the Gwent-related trophies. Then finally, I played through it again on Death March! to get the platinum. 

I have to say, I don't necessarily hold this in as high reverence as everyone else seems to. Mainly because I haven't played the first two, but I constantly felt confused about the lore. Plus, I don't really connect well with Geralt. He's a bit of a damp towel. Then again, it isn't his story. But I get it, I understand why people love this game so much. And I don't necessarily think it's bad. It's gorgeous and huge. There's hardly a lack of things to do, especially when the main quest goes on and on and on. The other characters have a lot of richness and depth, even growth. I just don't like the main character and I think the combat just doesn't feel right. 

All that being said, I'm still enjoying my time with it and I'll continue through to get the DLC trophies as well. Special shout-out to @Together_Comic who advised this platinum to me (like, months ago). It took me this long 'cause I super wasn't looking forward to the Death March playthrough, even though it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Honestly, I regret not going for it when I picked it up again a couple years back. Plus, this platinum is now a cool milestone! They also advised a few PS3 titles, but I can't get to them since my PS3 has died a horrible death! 

I have no idea what to do next! (Edit: Oh yeah, I bought Sagebrush which I'll definitely get to immediately.) I think I'll go through 2064 ROM, which was suggested earlier. For now, I'll be doing some cleanup for recent platinums by finishing up DLC trophies. Doom, Rocket League and Witcher 3 in particular. 

Edited by SupergiantStarr
  • Like 2

Congrats on The Witcher! I need to get back to it for some trophy cleanup and finally play the DLCs.

I never played the first 2 games either as I'm not a PC gamer, but I did read the first 2 novels of the series so I didn't feel quite as lost. Still need to read the other books, though. Would you watch the Netflix show?

Hope you have a good time with 2064 ROM!

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 0:46 PM, Bittersweet said:

Congrats on The Witcher! I need to get back to it for some trophy cleanup and finally play the DLCs.

I never played the first 2 games either as I'm not a PC gamer, but I did read the first 2 novels of the series so I didn't feel quite as lost. Still need to read the other books, though. Would you watch the Netflix show?

Hope you have a good time with 2064 ROM!

Thanks! I'm actually really looking forward to the Netflix show. It looks really dang good.

• 2 weeks later...

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #126 :platinum:

L0df173.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 1 hour, 40 minutes, 53 seconds

There's apparently a lot of controversy about short platinums. I will say, however, that this isn't what drew me to this game. After being on a cult kick ever since walking out of Midsommar, completely rattled, I've been fascinated with the cult mentality. Because of that, I was immediately drawn to Sagebrush when it was released. The same could be said about The Church in the Darkness, but that seemed more like a stealth/puzzle game which didn't really grab me.

Honestly, Sagebrush might be my surprise of the year. It's unnerving and scary without being a factory of jump scares. It's a nice, contained experience, like most horror walking simulators. What sets this apart from something like Layers of Fear, though, is that the horror comes from the isolation. It's just you and this desolate, dark setting where some nefarious stuff is either going down or has gone down already. The story unfolds nicely with a surprising, trope-bending twist. I'll say that ultimately, the voice acting falls a little flat for me. Which stops this from being the memorable experience it could have been. If you're into short, story-based, pseudo-spooky titles, check this one out. Or if you just want a fast platinum, whatever, I won't judge.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #127 :platinum:

Lb24996.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 1 day, 13 hours, 47 minutes

Speaking of story-based experiences, I picked up 2064 ROM years ago, much like everyone else, when it was free on PS Plus. It never would've been on my radar otherwise, and I'm not sure why not. It honestly has so many things I've wanted to see in modern games. Unfortunately, the dude running the studio turned out to be a creep and is no longer working there.

As a trans gamer, I fully appreciate anything that has characters that I can relate to. I still have a lot of issues with it. Some of the characters are charming but most of the time I just felt like I was being yelled at for making a bad decision. I eventually got so disheartened that I just switched to the (very good) walkthrough available on the site. I will say, though, that I love the feel of the game. It's like a mixture of Kojima's Snatcher and those point-and-click adventure games on the NES like Deja Vu and Shadowgate. I really did enjoy the story as it unfolded - but only when I was being lead by the hand. I really wanted to love this! But I just ended up thinking it was pretty good. Special thanks to @Bittersweet for recommending it to me! I also caved and bought Yakuza 0!

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #128 :platinum:

Ld80014.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 4 years, 6 months, 3 weeks

Here's an oldie that I played through without thinking too much about trophies or collectibles. Luckily, there's a "Collectible Mode" that makes going back for all the photos that I missed a breeze. I think I ended up wrapping this platinum up in an hour or so.

I've always thought Life is Strange is a wonderful experience. I obviously have issues with it - bad tropes aside - but I immediately felt connected to these characters. I think this was the last episodic game that I played through as the episodes were being released. Each wait was brutal - with an ending that was just as brutal. I would die for Kate Marsh. I would crawl through broken glass for Chloe Price. I can't get too much into tropes without spoiling, but I'm extremely tired of

Spoiler

Bury Your Gays in particular.

Special thanks to @Whitelightnin683 for the recommendation! I also did the next platinum based on that!

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #129 :platinum:

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

L827e0a.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 21 hours, 40 minutes, 3 seconds

I was never really interested in this, considering it was a prequel. I already know what happens to these characters, so I didn't think it would carry any emotional resonance. Gosh, was I wrong. I'm very glad I picked this up for five bucks a few months back.

Like the original, I still have a big issue with that trope in particular. However, I was extremely relieved that this wasn't a buildup to what happens to Rachel in the original. I didn't want to go through three episodes of this only for the writers to make her into a glorified victim. Thankfully, that isn't what they do at all. They give her a real presence - turn her into a real person rather than this mythical being from the first game. And, in all honesty, she deserves that mythical, goddess-like presence. But knowing what happens makes this game all the more heartbreaking. Yes, I cry a lot. At movies, at games, at a really nice roll of sushi. But this was Niagara Falls. Short, sweet, and lovely. I almost like this more than the original.

Wow, that was another big update! It's been a while though and I actually was able to buy a working computer! I'll still be trophy hunting, though, in between PC gaming and learning about video/photo editing. I'll be going for my Alien Isolation platinum first (one of my favorite games this generation) and after that I MAY start trying to get back into Monster Hunter World. If you have any recommendations, though, feel free to include them! Oh! And I forgot to include my new Gaming By Numbers badge! That was a very fun event. Plus, I got my 100% S-Rank on Witcher 3 after finishing the (surprisingly good) DLC.

Edited by SupergiantStarr
  • Like 1

Oof, not sure how I missed this update. Oh yeah, I don't tend to log in on my phone lol. Very nice plats, glad that you enjoyed them. Sagebrush sounds like my kinda thing, but like most of my buys, I wait for a good discount.

Always happy that people get Yakuza. I'm expecting you to fall totally in love with the series and get games 1-6 plus spin-offs.:awesome:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bittersweet said:

Oof, not sure how I missed this update. Oh yeah, I don't tend to log in on my phone lol. Very nice plats, glad that you enjoyed them. Sagebrush sounds like my kinda thing, but like most of my buys, I wait for a good discount.

Always happy that people get Yakuza. I'm expecting you to fall totally in love with the series and get games 1-6 plus spin-offs.:awesome:

I was super tempted to just pick up Judgment and dive right in!

• 1 month later...

Whoa! It's been more than a month since my last update. For a few good reasons! First, I bought a heckin' computer, so I was playing on a fancy new machine. I haven't had a good computer in ages, so it's been super nice. And second, I started trying to get into Monster Hunter World again. That's been taking up a majority of my time. I've hit a couple of walls and I'm still very bad, but I've been enjoying it! Between then and now, I've managed to close out a couple of platinums in my backlog.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #130 :platinum:

Alien: Isolation

L78fd34.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 4 years, 10 months, 3 weeks (My longest gap!)

This was probably one of the games that I'd been wanting the platinum in for a while. It's absolutely one of my favorite games of this generation. The first time through, I had already finished it on hard, so really all I needed were the collectibles and to finish the game without dying. Thankfully, both were relatively easy, so this was a stress-free platinum outside of the spookies!

I love a good spooky game and the Xenomorph was one of the scariest (and admittedly sometimes the dumbest) monsters in modern games. That moment where Amanda runs into it is still so perfectly tense. The build up to it is remarkable - two hours of roaming a nearly deserted space station where things are very clearly going wrong in so many different ways. And you're constantly waiting for it to show up and when it does, wowzers. From there, the game is a very thrilling game of cat and mouse. There are plenty of very valid criticisms of how long the game is. A good chunk of the later game definitely feels like added fluff and it feels like the ending refuses to come. I love the aesthetic and it feels like a game I've needed for ages - and may have to wait ages again for a follow-up.

:platinum: Platinum Trophy #131 :platinum:

Rebel Galaxy

Lb039b9.png

Gap between First Trophy and Platinum: 2 years, 9 months, 1 week  

This is one I definitely started playing when it became free on PS Plus. Something about being a space trucker seemed appealing to me and I'm not sure why. 

I honestly don't have much to say about this one. It's neat for what it is, but it's a LOT of busy work. I would rather play a Farming Simulator. That's not a knock against this or Farming Simulator, I just really like farming sims. This one takes a long time to plat. Maybe 80 hours or so. And not a whole lot of it is thrilling. It's... fine.

Alright, back to my monster hunting-induced hiatus. I'm probably only a quarter of the way there.

• Like 1