Online trophies for this game?

whittle181

Since we are getting Nioh on PS Plus this month, I'll be a new player to the franchise. But I'd like to hold off playing for a few years as I already have a huge backlog. So I'm wondering what are the online trophies that I need to get out of the way first before the inevitable server shutdown in several years time? I know that the game is easier in certain parts using co-op , but you could in theory struggle through the game solo - I'm looking for online only trophies. On another forum I read that 'Female Impersonator' trophy is online only because accessing the team room requires an online connection, but another person has since said that clan battles and transfer are the only things that will not work when offline. So do you need said clan battles and / or transfer option to complete any of the trophies (not make things 'easier')? Have I not mentioned any other potentially unobtainable trophies in the future? Sorry to waffle but as a newbie it's confusing!

There is only 1 online trophy in the game and that's "Female Impersonator", which is in the Dragon of the North DLC but you only need to be connected to PSN to get it so don't have to play with anyone. From our Guide on .org:

There are new female skins that were added as part of the DLC; they are purchased from the Hidden Teahouse using Glory. You must be connected online to use this feature and transform in to a female character. You must then complete any mission as one of these skins.  Unfortunately the costs of the new skins are very expensive, with the cheapest ones available costing 70,000 Glory and unless you have played a lot of co-op, you will not be anywhere near this amount. The fastest farming method would be to go online and become a visitor to help other players in various missions, successful runs can net you several thousand Glory with failures still getting you a few thousand in some cases, so it won't take too long to grind for this.  You can also grind out high level revenants which can yields upwards of 200 Glory per kill.

Whilst the servers will be up for a long time yet, I would get it done sooner rather than later if you're concerned about possibly out getting screwed out of it.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

Hi Whittle181. There is only one trophy that requires an online connection and that is Female Impersonator. You simply have to do a lot of co-op mission or pvp battles during the single player missions (If yo play the game you simply go to a black sword highlighted in red and a brief pvp battle). You can only do co-op after you have completed the mission solo. Even though this game can be played in co-op you must first complete the mission solo in order for your to do co-op in that level.

Edited by SuperGodfatherZ

2 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I got this game to 100% entirely offline. There are no online trophies. 

Glory can be farmed from Remnants, which, if playing offline, are then simply random characters instead of actual players that died in the places you resurrect their remnants. 

Does that include the 'Female Impersonator' trophy? Because several people in this thread, and on other website forums, seem pretty sure that it's online-only.

Edited by whittle181

On 02/11/2019 at 10:40 AM, whittle181 said:

Does that include the 'Female Impersonator' trophy? Because several people in this thread, and on other website forums, seem pretty sure that it's online-only.

It's like @Arcesius said (he wrote he got it 100% while offline, didn't he).

Before typing this answer, I further tested it by disconnecting my PS4 from the Internet, and I got the notification while starting the game warning me that some options would be unavailable.

You can still access the hidden teahouse while offline, and in it the transform option. I switched into Okatsu and started a mission, fought a revenant there and earned glory. So it is totally possible.

The reason why people would rather do it online is that you earn more glory helping people in coop (I know I did a lot of that to farm for this specific trophy) and participating in clan wars, but it's not mandatory, just be ready for a long grind just killing revenants...

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 10:40 AM, whittle181 said:

@KennethMcCormick was kind enough to test this by disconnecting the console from the internet.. I wanted to do the same, just to make sure things haven't changed since I played, but I would have had to download 13 GB worth of updates... nope ? You have his confirmation. 

In any case, even if that one, Twilight Walker and by extension Samurai of LegendDestroyer of Demons were tied to online, you cannot simply "get them out of the way early". The glory grind for Female Impersonator is real, and if you were to do this in the early game it would take quite a while. 

Also, for Destroyer of Demons you need to beat every single mission on Way of the Demon, a difficulty which is only unlocked after beating the game twice on two lower difficulties. They really mean every mission here, even Twilight Missions (basically complete Twilight Walker on Way of the Demon...). So if Twilight Walker would be online, so would this one. And this is probably the last trophy you'll earn. 

(I'm mentioning this because Twilight Walker is marked as "online" in the guide). 

In any case, enjoy the game! It has one of the best, deepest and most fun combat systems I've experienced in a game. And the diablo-esque loot system.. just enjoyed every second of it. ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

Thank-you for confirmation @KennethMcCormick and @Arcesius  - I never suspected Twilight Walker and Samurai Legend would be online only, my main concern was just getting Female Impersonator (I could get this out of the way early by doing co-op missions, and even quicker if you're able to get Glory without completing them). Anyway I'll leave this game well alone for a while and look forward to the grind somewhere down the road... without having to worry about the servers screwing me out of 100% completion.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, HuntingFever said:

The Guide is wrong, because you can get those 2 trophies offline without ever connecting to the servers.

This is 100% correct. The Twilight missions rotate on a daily basis, but they are not random, nor do they require a connection.

IIRC, the upper circle has seven missions on rotation. That is, a different mission for each day of the week, and they rotate in sequence. It is not random. I seem to remember The Blessed Village being Monday, The Squirming Sprite being Tuesday...

The lower circle has five missions on rotation. So they are not exclusive to any particular day of the week. But once you know the order of rotation you can easily tell when your next shot at any particular mission will be.

This means that certain twilight missions will never be listed together. For example, the DLC twilight missions Unyielding Hellfire and The Murky Demon Realm are both tied to the upper icon, so you will never be able to play both of those on the same day. The third DLC twilight mission (from the second DLC), The Crimson Fortress, however, is tied to the lower icon, so there are days when it'll be listed alongside either of the previously mentioned missions.