You will find me on *ornhub and *Videos

REAPER4536

It's Google who is at fault- not content creators. The law is older than YouTube and they should've taken it into consideration when creating the platform.

I also blame the FTC for their decision to go after content creators. That is the equivalent of using a bazooka to take out a hornet nest. How can we trust them to differentiate between "Family Friendly" and "Made for Kids"? A lot of Disney games fall into the FF category- made with kids as part of the target audience, not strictly for kids. Now a Sesame Street game would be definitely MFK.

The FTC need to keep in mind that not all animated videos are FF. Some can have strong language or Mortal Kombat levels of graphic violence. Elfen Lied is an anime with some serious gore which would get an R from the MPAA.

So how should this COPPA thing be addressed?

1. Targeted (personalised) advertising should be opt-in only.

2. You should have to be 13 or older to open a Google/Youtube account. If the birthdate you give makes you under 13, then your application would be denied.

3. If you admit to being under 13, your Google account would be revoked.

With this system, if you don't have a Google account or are presently logged out, you wouldn't be tracked because you'd default to "not opted in". If you log in with your account (which you'd need to be 13 or over to have), you would be able to opt in.

Actually YouTube does do 2 and 3... now they need to do 1. I've heard that Google tracks you even if you are not logged in... bad move.