Do any of you prefer not to use trophy guides/roadmaps?

twothumbedfist

I think it depends on the type of game for me. For stuff like Assassin's Creed, I'll try my best to get as much as I can on my own and then round up with a guide but for ones where I sorta lack interest (Like Grim Fandango, maybe unfairly) then I'll just use a guide/walkthrough to get it out of the way. 

• 3 years later...

Typically I go in blind for my first run of any game. After the initial playthrough though, I'll use guides to mop up any remaining trophies. Sometimes if the game is a walking sim type with loads of collectibles, I'll have a collectibles guide open as I go so I don't have to replay levels or the whole game entirely to snag them. 

• Like 1

I really only look at a guide to see if there are missable trophies or anything I should be going out of my way to do. If there's nothing, I don't really look at the guide and play the game, then when I am done, I'll go through the cleanup with the guide as a resource.

If there is something missable, I need to create notes of what to be on the lookout for, which can often spoil things. In general, I think missable trophies or collectibles that you need to follow a guide are just bad design.

A good number of the games I play it's practically required to play along with a guide or a walkthrough so as not to miss anything.  Demon's Souls (PS3) which I platinumed last month is a great example.  It has 21 missable trophies!  TWENTY ONE!!  It really doesn't leave you with much of a choice.  Sure.  I could play through one time completely blind, but now I'm adding another playthrough to everything else that's required for the platinum.  Even using the guides and the walkthrough, I still made one mistake which wasn't explicitly mentioned in the guides so I had to do another 1 1/2 playthroughs for the platinum anyway.  Some games you really don't have much of a choice.  But then there are other games like Naruto: UNS 4 which I also platinumed and 100%ed last month and you don't have to play along with a guide.  It's pretty self explanatory so you can just jump in and play.  I only consulted some forums and videos when I really got stuck on trying to earn an S rank in one battle.  That was it.  It really depends on the game.