Upgrading PS4 Pro/Slim/Regular HDD to a SSD?

Rias Gremory

6 minutes ago, Bodyodorthegrave69 said:

What are some good SSD that work well with a launch/regular PS4? Will that same SSD that works on the regular model, will it be compatible for a PS4

PRO?

I'm using the Samsung Evo 860 1TB and that works with both a base PS4 and a Pro, however you should be aware that a base ps4 wont get out as much of an SSD as a Pro will.

Also i think its harder to install an SSD in a base PS4 compared to a pro where you only need to loosen like 6 screws.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

From my understanding, it's kind of a waste to put an SSD into the PS4 because it can't take full advantage of the data transfer speed.

You’re correct in that the transfer speeds are largely going to be a bit capped on SSDs. But they will have a speed advantage in several scenarios. 

They also save on power usage and give off less heat while being less prone to jostling.

3 hours ago, Misshandlad said:

I'm using the Samsung Evo 860 1TB and that works with both a base PS4 and a Pro, however you should be aware that a base ps4 wont get out as much of an SSD as a Pro will.

Also i think its harder to install an SSD in a base PS4 compared to a pro where you only need to loosen like 6 screws.

I don't know about the slim, but the base ps4 only has 5 screws for the hard drive, one holding the bay in place, and 4 holding the hard drive into the bay 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

You’re correct in that the transfer speeds are largely going to be a bit capped on SSDs. But they will have a speed advantage in several scenarios. 

They also save on power usage and give off less heat while being less prone to jostling.

Your right Daiv. I search at quite a few videos to look at loading times compare from HDD to SSD games and they look really impressive. I'm on a PS4 Pro and it won't damage anything.

4 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

From my understanding, it's kind of a waste to put an SSD into the PS4 because it can't take full advantage of the data transfer speed.

I don't think so. It's better to upgrade a SSD to it only on a PS4 Pro to avoid any problems and besides doing that will cut down time on downloading games whatnot. If you have a PS4 2TB portable as a backup then yeah.

3 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I don't know about the slim, but the base ps4 only has 5 screws for the hard drive, one holding the bay in place, and 4 holding the hard drive into the bay 

Thanks for clarifying, for some reason I was under the impression that you had to open the whole console (think i've read that somewhere). But I guess it's the same then :)

• 2 weeks later...