Backward compatibility

QuisSeparabit90

In the presentation to developers they talked about PS4 mode, PS4 Pro mode, and an enhanced mode that will allow PS4 games to use some PS5 hardware acceleration. 

While it wasn’t called out specifically, the modes implied they are compatible with both disc and digital. 

1 hour ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I really hope it's both. If it'd be disc only i could use only a very small part of my ps4 games on the new consoles. Like 30 of 200 games 1f60f.png?

34 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

For me, it would be like 5 out of 300 xDxDxD

I would play a grand total of... zero ?

Said it before and I'll say it again, the only thing that got me to buy an Xbox One at all was backward compatibility. The only thing, short of being a good couple hundred less than the Xbox Series X, that could get me to buy a PS5 is full blown backward compatibility with pre-PS4 stuff. 

Insomniac Spider-Man 2 will be enough to get me to borrow a friend's PS5 for a while, but not enough to buy the thing. 

Somehow though, I think we're not gonna be getting that yet again. PS3 maybe, whatever, I'm on the fence, the PC PS3 emulator is doing real good but it's also nowhere near perfect, but it's also a few people doing it for fun at home compared to a huge company paying for it like Sony who logically then should have a lot less issues. But whatever. PS3 is whatever. The way I see it, there is absolutely no reason they couldn't build a PS1 and PS2 disc emulator into the PS5 and play every copy out the gate. I was running PS2 games on a god damn MacBook 5 years ago with no problems. They are not making more money if they only release 30 or 40 odd  PS2 games digitally during the entire console cycle anyway, sell them, sell more, do whatever, but the good will you'd get from making all those old ass discs work again, the VAST majority of which you'd have no way of monetizing anyway due to rights issues, fuck, it would be insane. 

You'd have the only console in nearly a decade and a half to let me play the current stuff coming out, and Tony Hawk 3, Vice City, and Spider-Man 2. That right there, that's a day one purchase for me. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, the only thing that got me to buy an Xbox One at all was backward compatibility. The only thing, short of being a good couple hundred less than the Xbox Series X, that could get me to buy a PS5 is full blown backward compatibility with pre-PS4 stuff. 

Insomniac Spider-Man 2 will be enough to get me to borrow a friend's PS5 for a while, but not enough to buy the thing. 

Somehow though, I think we're not gonna be getting that yet again. PS3 maybe, whatever, I'm on the fence, the PC PS3 emulator is doing real good but it's also nowhere near perfect, but it's also a few people doing it for fun at home compared to a huge company paying for it like Sony who logically then should have a lot less issues. But whatever. PS3 is whatever. The way I see it, there is absolutely no reason they couldn't build a PS1 and PS2 disc emulator into the PS5 and play every copy out the gate. I was running PS2 games on a god damn MacBook 5 years ago with no problems. They are not making more money if they only release 30 or 40 odd  PS2 games digitally during the entire console cycle anyway, sell them, sell more, do whatever, but the good will you'd get from making all those old ass discs work again, the VAST majority of which you'd have no way of monetizing anyway due to rights issues, fuck, it would be insane. 

You'd have the only console in nearly a decade and a half to let me play the current stuff coming out, and Tony Hawk 3, Vice City, and Spider-Man 2. That right there, that's a day one purchase for me. 

Completely agree! Still a possibility but looking unlikely! All i want is tocreplay legend of legaia on a modern console x)