Plat Race of the Maidens 2020

Completed one new game, and two more games I'd started before June! Yay, backlog cleanup!

• Gris (female lead)
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake (40% on June 1)
  • Brawlhalla (74% on June 1, screenshots of my top 5 most used characters, all female! Actually top 7 are female, and 90% of my used characters are also female. Characters in the screenshots are sorted by xp, which is basically just an indication of how much time you've spent using them)

Thoughts on each game (no spoilers, because spoilers are icky, just don't want to stretch the page too much):

Spoiler

Gris

What a beautiful game! My sister has been bugging me to play this forever, but I kept putting it off. Really shouldn't have, it was fantastic and I'd highly recommend it. It's more of an art project than a game really, though the gameplay is still involved enough and evolves as you go through the story that it still works as a game as well. It's a wordless game but still manages to tell a beautiful story anyway, and the artwork is absolutely stunning! As is the soundtrack. I don't want to say much more as anything I do say would be spoiler-y, but I'd definitely recommend picking it up, especially as it's on sale at the moment! Definitely one of my top indie games I've played!

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Currently the slowest achiever on this one, yay me! :awesome:

I have strongly mixed feelings on this. For the first couple of days after it arrived in the post, I couldn't put it down, I loved the modernised return to one of my favourite games from my childhood. The first part of the game was excellent, it was faithful to the original but still added new ways to flesh out some of the side characters to make the game more engaging even for those that know the original story. The battle system was also fantastic and I enjoyed it a lot. And the character models - OMG! Every single character is just so beautiful! Even Heidegger is hot. HEIDEGGER! I'm supposed to hate him, why do I find him sexy? ?

But then there was a recurring story element that just bothered me so much that I put the game down and didn't return to it for a long time. I don't want to say what, because spoilers are bad, but it did really put me off the game. They could have removed this terrible excuse for storytelling from the game and it would have made the game better without changing the overall story at all. I assume it's there to lead future installments in the remake but it's still dumb to me and it put me off the game a lot.

When I went back to it, I got over my previous dislike more or less, though I still wish it wasn't included, and got back to mostly enjoying the game. But then I got to Hard mode, and whilst the battle system became more interesting as you had to really manage your MP in chapters, the game outside battles felt like one really long walking simulator. It's too linear for my taste (I like being able to do my own thing) and there's almost no way to really go off the path (unless you go backwards for no reason) for like 90% of the game. The chapters which have sidequests are great though, they have more free movement. And I love side content.

So now I'm back to being on the fence on whether I overall liked or disliked the game. It did do a lot of things well. But it also did things badly, and it really depends what's important to you in a game whether you'll like this or not. I guess there was more good than bad and it was an overall positive experience. But the bad things just...really bothered me.

Brawlhalla
It's a Smash Bros clone. Not much else to say :dunno:

Now I have to decide whether I want to clear up some other unfinished games, or start on playing some Gaming By Numbers games ? I really need that badge, it's too cute to miss! And I need it fully coloured because I won't forgive myself if I don't when it's so cute!

Guess I could try and do a bit of both, start on at least one GBN game, whilst also trying to do a bit of Monster Hunter and Super Monkey Ball (which will be the end of me...or the end of my Vita, it could go either way at this point, all I know is Super Monkey Ball is very frustrating for a game that looks so cute).

Edited by Kristycism
Formatting
  • Like 4

I finally finished Ragnarok Odyssey Ace. I mained a female sword warrior. I'll have add a screenshot tomorrow. It's been a while since I copied an image from my Vita. I don't think I have my photobucket acct anymore. Are there any other sites I can use?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

I finally finished Ragnarok Odyssey Ace. I mained a female sword warrior. I'll have add a screenshot tomorrow. It's been a while since I copied an image from my Vita. I don't think I have my photobucket acct anymore. Are there any other sites I can use?

I use https://imgur.com/ for all photos that I put on here (badges, screenshots, etc).

Super congrats on finishing! I know that game was long and at times frustrating!

• Like 2

Lots of plats for me tonight with a few more coming soon, so here's the info on each of the plats I have popped and potentially will pop in the next 24 hours:

Prepared percentage prior to 1 June (all others at 0%):

Spoiler

NBA 2k20 (91%)

Quantum Theory (28%)

Umbrella Corps (88%)

Alekhine’s Gun (96%)

Air Conflicts Vietnam (91%)

Deponia Doomsday (97%)

Female protagonists:

Spoiler

Brave (Meridia)

Cartoon Network (Powerpuf Girls etc)

Wipeout 2 (Jill Wagner etc)

Super Soccer Blast (created character)

Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness (Nadeshiko Kugatachi)

Most of these games were tolerable, but nothing special. Wipeout 2 was actually a fun and not especially challenging UR that I would suggest to everyone (who still has a PS3, lol.) No online boost and a sub-10 hour plat is tough to find among URs. NBA 2k20 is going to see a big rarity plunge with it going free to PS+ in a few days, but unfortunately it won't help much because of the fact that I had all but one trophy done prior to the start of the month.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, eigen-space said:

Took close to an hour to update you @Andrea9281 xD But now you're part of the 1000+ Club!

So, I'll be being a little less competitive starting soonish. I decided somewhat impulsively to attend graduate school at the end of August for a pretty rigorous Master of Data Science program, so most of my free time will be dedicated to that instead of gaming xD My goal for this competition has now moved from being in the Top 3 to just finishing my triple point games before the end of the year lol.

Congrats! I wish you luck.

Here are the photos from Ragnarok Odyssey Ace:

Me in single player, early in the game

wzM73ez.jpg

At the end of the chapter part of the game as a Cleric

m5nbINW.jpg

Edited by Edunstar84
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 11:54 PM, Bittersweet said:

Anima: Gate of Memories (3%)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (68% Base/ 73% Complete)
Death Stranding (78%)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (57%)
Fate/Extella (10%)
Final Fantasy VIII (4%):platinum:
forma.8 (10%)
Gravity Rush 2 (50% Base/ 53% Complete)
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (1%)
Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk (0%):platinum:
Resident Evil 3 (65%)
RiME (7%)
Transistor (10%)
Valkyria Chronicles (82%)

Well, that's 2 down. Looking to tackle EGTTR next~

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

DLC: None

Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk

Female Lead: Jed/Eiar

• Like 2

UR Platinum 152: Syndicate

Prepared percentage: 14% on 1 June

I thought this game was great fun and somewhat of an overlooked gem from PS3 era. The co-op experience is excellent, especially with a full group, and the single player campaign is interesting enough, if a little on the short side. In terms of trophies it is definitely more of a grind than skill-based, though some of the CEO rankings on hard mode require a bit of expertise with the game.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First update:

Game: One Night Stand 

Female Protag: N

Base Game Starting %: 57

DLC & Starting %: N/A

Game: AC Freedom Cry 

Female Protag: N

Base Game Starting %: 26

Game: Moving Out 

Female Protag: Y

Base Game Starting %: 11

Game: Beyond Eyes 

Base Game Starting %: 0

Game: Saints Row 4 

Base Game Starting %: 11

DLC & Starting %: ✅ Pack 1 - 0; ✅ Pack 2 - 0

Game: Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star 

Base Game Starting %: 0

DLC & Starting %: n/a

I admit that I am not very gaming focused lately but it’s what I’ve got so far. I did volunteer for last place after all ?.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 11:54 PM, Bittersweet said:

Anima: Gate of Memories (3%)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (68% Base/ 73% Complete)
Death Stranding (78%)
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (57%):platinum:
Fate/Extella (10%)
Final Fantasy VIII (4%):platinum:
forma.8 (10%)
Gravity Rush 2 (50% Base/ 53% Complete)
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (1%)
Psychedelica of the Ashen Hawk (0%):platinum:
Resident Evil 3 (65%)
RiME (7%)
Transistor (10%)
Valkyria Chronicles (82%)

I don't know why I like to post in increments of 2, oh well.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture:platinum:

The Last Of Us Part II:platinum: (Event Prep 0%)

Female lead(s): Ellie, Abby

DLC: Not doing it anytime soon:awesome:

Deviated from my list with TLOU II, dabbled a little in Bloodstained, and currently enjoying The Missing: J.J Macfield and the Island of Memories.

I need to focus more.

Edited by Bittersweet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Missing: J.J Macfield and the Island of Memories? (Event Prep 0%)

Female lead: J.J Macfield

When I thought I was feeling burnout after finishing TLOU II, I went after a platless game and settled on The Missing. It was a little breath of fresh air and I found it really interesting! It's a seemingly simple looking platform type game with some puzzle solving to get to the next area, most of which you need to harm your body(?!) and end up at an inverse stage to figure out the solution. There's a sort of modern cute-retro look to some things, collectables include DOUGHNUTS yaay, some horror vibes going on, but the underlying story about gender identity with self acceptance and love felt really hopeful at the very end. SWERY1f44f.png

The Sinking City:platinum: (Event Prep 0%)

Ok game, glad I got it before the delist happened!

Edited by Bittersweet
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I apologize but my life schedule is preventing me from playing games so I'll remove myself from the race. I did talk about this with Eigen when she invited me to joy. That I was affraid I would end up failing, well, that unfortunately happened. Good luck for every1 still in the race!

xoxo

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Welp, a very belated last post on this event as it did end on 12/31/20. Only managed 3 more plats since my last post, regrettably didn't finish all of my triple point games and other choices I laid out. Thanks, Cyberpunk 2077. Hope the rest of the ladies did much better than I have, lol.

Afterparty:platinum: (Event Prep 0%)

Female lead: Lola

Coffee Talk:platinum: (Event Prep 0%)

Control: AWE DLC? (Event Prep 0%)

Steins;Gate: My Darling's Embrace:platinum: (Event Prep 0%)

Hopefully @eigen-space can conclude who the top maiden of the event is sometime soon, but I understand that she has been busy with irl stuff. I really appreciated this event's layout and management, thank you for all the effort!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After finally finding some time to tally up all the points, I've finally done it!

Winners are....

1st Place: @themindisacity with 3959 points

2nd Place: @Niamh5445 with 3762 points

3rd Place: @eigen-space with 3128 points

Congrats everyone and thanks to all participants for playing! I'll be making badges for everyone next time I find a break from grad school!

• Like 2