What is the optimal way of getting both MHW and MHWIceborne platinums?

Definitely complete the story of Iceborne first and foremost. A lot of the base game trophies that might have been grinds before will come naturally during Iceborne, and those that don't like the base game's crowns will be much easier to farm in High Rank when you have a decent Master Rank build.

One thing I'd recommend is to do the Grimalkyne sidequests as soon as possible-- see here for what they are and how to do them. The gist of it is that after completing the quest for one region's faction, you can recruit one of them during a single-player hunt to help you out alongside your permanent cat-slave, and doing this enough times will level up your relationship with that faction, which will eventually be necessary for the Iceborne trophies Fledgling Collector, Veteran Collector, and Ultimate Collector. I didn't realize they were relevant for trophies so I ignored them for the longest time, which made the eventual grind that much worse.

Another thing to keep in mind is completing 50 arena quests for the base game trophy Nowhere to Go but Up. These give you a preset build, so getting better gear won't make them easier, and if you have to do all 50 at once you might give up on gaming altogether. You can complete the same arena quest 50 times, so I'd recommend as soon as you get reasonably comfortable with your choice of weapon type, find an arena quest within your skill level that offers a loadout with it and do it a time or two in between hunts. I found 'Vespoid Infestation!' the easiest and quickest, but it's an event so it's only available on a rotating schedule.

Other than that, I think every other trophy across both lists should be easier to pay attention to after completing Iceborne's story and getting a lot of them naturally.

• Like 3

- Finish the story of Base Game + Iceborne story, unlock Rajang, Zinogre and the last updates monsters.

- Create a build with the best equipment. Currently Brachydios Raging, but next week we have Alatreon.

- After having a good build, go to the events to hunt down all the crowns they offer, both in the base game and in the iceborne.

- Hunt the Elder Dragons and get the crowns in the investigations. I recommend taking Kirin and Lunastra in High Rank, they are much easier than in the master rank.

Whenever you have the option of hunting a monster between High Rank and Master Rank, choose High Rank, it will save you a lot of time.

- Always go catching monsters to get the 50 catch trophy and earn more points in the trophies to find out all about the monsters.

- Do the 50 arena quests.

- The rest of the trophies are capturing rare creatures, leveling guide lands and other things. These trophies you can go on making while doing everything else that I mentioned above.

I say this because I already platinum on an old account both and this is a good method. With crown events, your time to platinum drops a lot.

Edited by GhostNinjaFox
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2020 at 6:46 AM, Lezonidas said:

I mean should I go first for 100% of MHW and then jump to MHW Iceborne? Or maybe first both stories, no platinum, and after that look for one platinum or the other and then the one left? How would you approach it?

I plat both games very fast considering what this game asks. I started base game May 1st and finished both by June 5th. My plan was simple, get into Iceborne as fast as possible and get the best gear in the game. My total playtime was under 350 hours. If i remove all the terrible loading screens..maybe another few hrs removed there. 

I played the game to enjoy it and didn't worry about crowns until I had done everything I wanted to and experienced all the game had to offer. The reason I wanted the best gear is because it would trivialize the base games core challenge and make the hardest Iceborne encounters a lot easier. I was able to speed through all hunts and kill every relatively large/small monster in under 2mins from the base game. An example would be Nergigante in base game, I was able to kill him consistently without him attacking. This is of course because I had the literal best items in the game, complete builds with the elements needed to match the weaknesses of the monster i was farming. 

- WHEN IT COMES TO GOLD CROWNS -

It is my understanding that event quests are now gone and are back on a rotation since Alatreon was added, where when I was playing they were all active at the same time. If you have a very good build(dual blades i'd recommend for speed runs) then when an event quest is in rotation, i'd farm that consistently with a friend or 2 if possible. The first 3 monsters spawn and you will need to kill at least 2 every time if you need the crown on the 4th or 5th monster in that event quest. This is made faster if you have friends with good gear also in there with you so you can each kill 1 monster on your own. The monsters that spawn after the initial 3 in an event quest have a timer before they appear so they won't appear right away after you kill one for example.  

Event quests that have a lot of monsters have their health lowered due to there being so many of them in 1 quest on a timer.

- Measuring -

I wouldn't really measure monsters in event quests because for me it was just easier to turn my brain off and delete them in 60-90 seconds, especially if you have friends in there with you. 

Tempered/Gold and silver reward Investigations are key for all your non event monsters, elder dragons like Velkhana/Teostra/Lunastra etc. You also want to take on any monster when crown farming on the easiest setting available. Low rank/High Rank and Master Rank are the 3 "difficulties"

-BUILDS-

I had builds for every element, mostly optimized. I played the game at a good time because I had great methods of getting tons of gold crowns and gear all at once so when I played, there was always progress being made which felt great, this made my grindy crown needs less painful. It took me over 100 Nergigantes to get the large gold crown and almost 100 ruiner nergi's to get large crown in iceborne. 

With all of this being said, i'd setup a HBG Build(Heavy Bow Gun) using The Furious Rajang Parts, you will do this quest in iceborne towards the end of the story. You will know the quest because you will likely be 1 shot without knowing what happened(LOL). The Rajang HBG combined with Brachydios Armor is very powerful to start with. It has very powerful K.O potential to keep monsters in the base game laying on the ground and keep the flying wyern types out of the sky. I used that build in the base game a lot to be lazy. 

The Rajang/Brachy fights are very hard, they are literally no joke. I'd suggest tackling them with friends or ppl who have very good gear as trying to fight them solo is very challenging when you are not well geared. 

The rest of the trophies on both lists are literally progression/collecting endemic life around the world(Iceborne had the easiest endemic life and it was such a beautiful zone to explore) The snow looks fantastic and it was a joy to explore around that area. There is also the 50 arena quests which isnt too hard, just very boring. I had a friend help me and we'd just chat as we bullied a Pukei Pukei. :D

Hope that all helps..if you have anymore questions you can feel free to msg me on PSN directly. Good Luck

- Kal

Edited by Kal-El457
grammar
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Kal-El457 said:

I plat both games very fast considering what this game asks. I started base game May 1st and finished both by June 5th. My plan was simple, get into Iceborne as fast as possible and get the best gear in the game. My total playtime was under 350 hours. If i remove all the terrible loading screens..maybe another few hrs removed there. 

I played the game to enjoy it and didn't worry about crowns until I had done everything I wanted to and experienced all the game had to offer. The reason I wanted the best gear is because it would trivialize the base games core challenge and make the hardest Iceborne encounters a lot easier. I was able to speed through all hunts and kill every relatively large/small monster in under 2mins from the base game. An example would be Nergigante in base game, I was able to kill him consistently without him attacking. This is of course because I had the literal best items in the game, complete builds with the elements needed to match the weaknesses of the monster i was farming. 

- WHEN IT COMES TO GOLD CROWNS -

It is my understanding that event quests are now gone and are back on a rotation since Alatreon was added, where when I was playing they were all active at the same time. If you have a very good build(dual blades i'd recommend for speed runs) then when an event quest is in rotation, i'd farm that consistently with a friend or 2 if possible. The first 3 monsters spawn and you will need to kill at least 2 every time if you need the crown on the 4th or 5th monster in that event quest. This is made faster if you have friends with good gear also in there with you so you can each kill 1 monster on your own. The monsters that spawn after the initial 3 in an event quest have a timer before they appear so they won't appear right away after you kill one for example.  

Event quests that have a lot of monsters have their health lowered due to there being so many of them in 1 quest on a timer.

- Measuring -

I wouldn't really measure monsters in event quests because for me it was just easier to turn my brain off and delete them in 60-90 seconds, especially if you have friends in there with you. 

Tempered/Gold and silver reward Investigations are key for all your non event monsters, elder dragons like Velkhana/Teostra/Lunastra etc. You also want to take on any monster when crown farming on the easiest setting available. Low rank/High Rank and Master Rank are the 3 "difficulties"

-BUILDS-

I had builds for every element, mostly optimized. I played the game at a good time because I had great methods of getting tons of gold crowns and gear all at once so when I played, there was always progress being made which felt great, this made my grindy crown needs less painful. It took me over 100 Nergigantes to get the large gold crown and almost 100 ruiner nergi's to get large crown in iceborne. 

With all of this being said, i'd setup a HBG Build(Heavy Bow Gun) using The Furious Rajang Parts, you will do this quest in iceborne towards the end of the story. You will know the quest because you will likely be 1 shot without knowing what happened(LOL). The Rajang HBG combined with Brachydios Armor is very powerful to start with. It has very powerful K.O potential to keep monsters in the base game laying on the ground and keep the flying wyern types out of the sky. I used that build in the base game a lot to be lazy. 

The Rajang/Brachy fights are very hard, they are literally no joke. I'd suggest tackling them with friends or ppl who have very good gear as trying to fight them solo is very challenging when you are not well geared. 

The rest of the trophies on both lists are literally progression/collecting endemic life around the world(Iceborne had the easiest endemic life and it was such a beautiful zone to explore) The snow looks fantastic and it was a joy to explore around that area. There is also the 50 arena quests which isnt too hard, just very boring. I had a friend help me and we'd just chat as we bullied a Pukei Pukei. :D

Hope that all helps..if you have anymore questions you can feel free to msg me on PSN directly. Good Luck

- Kal

Wow, that was awesome! Thank you very much, very detailed and helpful! 

On 7/3/2020 at 11:53 AM, M-C83 said:

You have a lot to do. Just put in the hours. Probably 600+ across both. It will come. Theres base game monsters in Icebourne so just play.

600+ hours across both? What?! No, just no. It does not take 600 hours to platinum these games. It doesn't even take 600 hours COMBINED between both games. I think you got a little confused. The guy is asking how to approach the trophies, not the game in general.  The game in general, yes can have over 1000 hours of gameplay pretty easily. but getting the platinum trophies for both games would take less than 200 hours easily. Probably far less.

On 8/31/2020 at 2:44 PM, Fish613 said:

600+ hours across both? What?! No, just no. It does not take 600 hours to platinum these games. It doesn't even take 600 hours COMBINED between both games. I think you got a little confused. The guy is asking how to approach the trophies, not the game in general.  The game in general, yes can have over 1000 hours of gameplay pretty easily. but getting the platinum trophies for both games would take less than 200 hours easily. Probably far less.

200 hours for both trophies. Sure, it's "possible", but very unlikely. The odds of getting all the crowns in 200 hours, not to mention the rest of the trophies, are just too low. Hell, I've been trying to get a mini Brute Tigrex for over 20 hours. Telling someone that this is a 200 hours trophy is just unrealistic and isn't doing them any favors.

• Like 4

On 8/31/2020 at 1:44 PM, Fish613 said:

I havent met a single person with both platinums in under 200hrs. It is possible but very unlikely. My time of 350hrs is the lowest among every friend/community member i've spoken to. The only way crown farming can be made insanely easy is if you had a party of 4 or more let's say, fishing for different monsters in a rotation all at the same time and 1 guy happened to get super lucky in getting a bunch of crowns he specifically needed. You also have to factor in that for SPEED kills in this game, you need amazing gear on top of efficient mechanics.

- Example would be in the base game > Clutch Claw..wall bang..full dps spam with the correct element, repeat once more. U should have agitators buff so when the monster enrages after that 2nd wall bang u can destroy it whilst using the Safi set ideally. That was my method in the base game, with my personal gear I would kill all monsters in 60-90 seconds or less on average. 

- I have Safi/Kjarr armor/weapons all maxed. I have level 20 Armor which require Great spiritvein gems and tons of armor spheres, I have insane decorations like x3 Tenderizer/Vitality that come from doing very hard content, all of that is time to run those specific event quests where crowns don't matter. It is efficiency to the max for me to be able to get both platinums in 1 Month basically. It could definitely be done in much less time but you'd need 4 highly motivated individuals like myself who focus primarily on Trophies and nothing else. I played the game to have fun and relax whilst being all about progress. I also played majority of the game solo using SOS as far as not grouping with other trophy hunters and doing crown fishing with a group. I had assistance getting through the IB story and getting some early Iceborne progression.

Edited by Kal-El457
  • Like 2

On 31/08/2020 at 8:44 PM, Fish613 said:

Ive played and finished both games. Know what I'm talking about. come back to us when you have finished both games wow lmao 

• Like 1

The guide for the Monster Hunter: World base game platinum says 300 hours to plat, and that is very accurate, based off of my experience. The Iceborne plat is a similar amount of time, based off of my experience. Which means 600+ hours across both games to get both platinums, just like M-C83 said. For me, it's actually been a decent amount more. My recorded playtime for both plats is 665 hours. And I've actually done a fair amount of save scumming, both for deco melding and crown hunting, which means that I probably have another 50 hours of playtime (or more) that hasn't been recorded.

Now, I definitely think this could be drastically decreased. For example, when I did the base game plat, Iceborne had not released yet. I believe if you started the games now, you could simultaneously work towards the Iceborne and Vanilla plats, which could cut a lot of time. From what I understand, Iceborne came with some 'starter' armors and weapons that were made to help you through the base game, so that could save a lot of time, instead of having to farm and craft gear periodically, like I did. You could probably also completely skip out on deco farming, which I did a fair amount of, and just work with the decos you get. These things, combined with simply being as efficient as possible with your time, could definitely bring that time-to-plats way down. But 200 hours for both plats still sounds very low to me.

Edited by danceswithsloths
  • Like 1