the Dark Souls Q&A help thread

skidmarkgn

I'm not very far into Dark Souls myself yet but this game seems like it will need a support line. Need advice, help, or wondering which way to go next and why then ask here and hopefully someone will be kind enough to answer.

I was waiting for such thread, god bless man.

i have finished the first bell. now the second one will be under blight town, fine i am there already down but as per to the trophy, its in Quelaag's domain.

where is it??

i am at level 32 and i feel i am weak to go there do you recommand another area???

I top part of darkoot where the butter fly has to be killed and secondly i finished the below part where hydra has to be killed.

I was waiting for such thread, god bless man.

i have finished the first bell. now the second one will be under blight town, fine i am there already down but as per to the trophy, its in Quelaag's domain.

where is it??

i am at level 32 and i feel i am weak to go there do you recommand another area???

I top part of darkoot where the butter fly has to be killed and secondly i finished the below part where hydra has to be killed.

get the key to the basement... the basement is right before the red dragon on the side of the bridge where the sun knight guy is who is admiring the sun rays... go down the stairs and you will reach a lower town where you will fight some undead attack dogs as well as guys jumping out of rooms trying to stab you... keep going to another area with the same instance with more dogs and more guys trying to ambush you... then there is a boss fight and some stairs that go down to the right... kill the boss first then go down to the right and you will be ambushed once more but then there will be stairs that lead to a door to the left (a tower that leads back to the beginning of firelink with a door that you couldn't open before where you first fight a rat and there is a merchant that sells anti-poison stuff that you want) and there is also a door to the right that leads to the "depths" i think is what its called... anyway thats where you wanna go...

the butterfly area isn't next.... but if you can go kill it and anything in between then more power to you... im only at level 26 and im not having too much trouble so make sure you focus your character build and don't try to make a build that is too diverse... focus on 2 or 3 skills at the most.

Im at work right now but i have the guide at home so feel free to send me a friend request (NO BLANK ONES PLEASE... just put Dark Souls in the title)... me and a few other friends start a chatroom that we call the "help line"... me and skidmark have done this a couple times and it is handy when there are questions.

get the key to the basement...

Many thanks, i have reached the second bell now. so far is good. i know where the next story line destination is, but i want to explore more, so i might go and join several covenant. my character level is 42 but i didnt focus on specific state, i noticed that upgrading or leveling any state will increase many attribute in addition to specific one so i many focus on HP, Endurance, strength, dexterity and resistance. i know it might be wrong but i have done the same in demon's souls, but no matter what you do, character build will be bad in new game +.

but one thing is good which is " i have reached level 45 and i assume i will be 120 by the end of the first walkthrough, so i will focus now on 3 attribute which are HP, alternate between stamina and strength and alternate between dexterity and faith

you are farther than me now then, lol...

I have been monkeying around in the depths for a while now... i have been trying to explore as much as i can so that i don't miss anything... killed a boss as a phantom and i might do that again a few more times before i go human and try it myself... Im SL 33... i gained 8 levels yesterday (from 25 to 33) because i killed the boss once, got invaded twice (and killed him both times), and ate some souls that were looted and just general exploration... i would agree that you will probably be high level by the time you get to NG+ but just to let you know the guide says that enemies are anywhere from 1.5 to 2.3 times harder... hit harder... higher defense... etc... but when you are level 120 or so, you will be a lot stronger also so it will probably not be an issue

lol ya the game is pretty open but you WILL get punished HARD if you go the wrong way ... i tried going through the cemetery next to the fire shrine into the cave god ... did i get badly R.A.P.E.D by the flying skulls thingies.

Then i said ok let's go down ... so i followed the stairs to New Londo or something ... and there i spent all my fireballz trying to hit the ghosts and again got R.A.P.E.D badly.

then i used the master kay gift to enter the drake valley i think its called and again was it a bad idea lol.

lol ya the game is pretty open but you WILL get punished HARD if you go the wrong way ... i tried going through the cemetery next to the fire shrine into the cave god ... did i get badly R.A.P.E.D by the flying skulls thingies.

Then i said ok let's go down ... so i followed the stairs to New Londo or something ... and there i spent all my fireballz trying to hit the ghosts and again got R.A.P.E.D badly.

then i used the master kay gift to enter the drake valley i think its called and again was it a bad idea lol.

This is about the time when i buy the guide, lol... i got the guide after about a week of having this... its fun having the guide but its also fun exploring and trying new ways to adventure.

• Like 1

I bought the guide yesterday. $25 well spent. It was really helpfully in understanding a few game mechanics that were obscure to me. I'm still avoiding full on spoilers for areas I haven't visited yet, but it's a great informational tool for areas I've already bested. It sounds like we're all in about the same spot - I just hit SL 34 last night and moving on toward Blightown. I'm currently spending souls on reinforcing weapons and armor. I'm reluctant to spend souls on leveling for now as I don't wan't to out level the ability to co-op, if I need/want to.

Im going to do what you said in anther post... Im going to co-op the boss a few times in the depths before i kill him myself... Im not really afraid of out leveling because so far im level 33 and haven't had any issues with being summoned... also i haven't looked to see where the closest blacksmith is and i don't know how to get back to the one by the gargoyles from where im at...

I think i will level up a couple more times before i try for the boss in human form...

The guide is great if for nothing else but to see all the items that are available... and i thought it was interesting to see the max soul level and how many souls it takes to get there o_O

this game is insane in difficulty, i am still in the first playthrough and the bad thing about it is the lake of dialogue specially when you come to fight a boss its like they have not implemented a nice script which make this game with a good story line, just like demon's souls.

• 2 weeks later...

nice thread fellas, good spot.

i just got my copy of Dark Souls on Tuesday and only began playing yesterday. Haven't even got to killing Asylum Demon yet. But did have a question:

I started out class as a Pyromancer. I am suposed to have 8 fireballs - but why can't I fire them?

I read somewhere that if you can beat the Asylum Demon at first encounter rather than running away, that felling him earns you a Magic Hammer or Black Hammer or M.C. Hammer, I dunno. But a hammer anyway - and that it is supposed to be a damn powerful weapon to start the game with.

I chose the master key as my gift, and well, I died severel times trying to slice it up with the broken sword hilt that you start off with.

Am I doing something wrong? Am barely at beginning so if I am, no biggie I can just re-start from scratch and do the biz. Or will I necessarily have to wait until NG+ before I can kill him at first encounter?

Your help is much appreciated - thanks in advance.

During the very 1st encounter with him there is a door that will immediately open up on the left side of the room (at least, I think it's the left) that you should run through. You'll continue through the level and find a shield, axe, and the pyrmancy flame, which lets you use your fireballs. You'll eventually end up returning to the asylum demon and that's when you actually fight him.

• Like 1

During the very 1st encounter with him there is a door that will immediately open up on the left side of the room (at least, I think it's the left) that you should run through. You'll continue through the level and find a shield, axe, and the pyrmancy flame, which lets you use your fireballs. You'll eventually end up returning to the asylum demon and that's when you actually fight him.

thanks skidmark; i realize that - that's where i'm @ now - i had just hoped/wanted to cut that dude up @ first encounter.

but i take it that that is not possible on a first new game?

thanks skidmark; i realize that - that's where i'm @ now - i had just hoped/wanted to cut that dude up @ first encounter. but i take it that that is not possible on a first new game?

it is possible but highly unlikly especially without a shield and a crappy weapon and no healing. That would like a 2 hour long dodge fest.

• Like 2

it is possible but highly unlikly especially without a shield and a crappy weapon and no healing. That would like a 2 hour long dodge fest.

Funny enough... i ran around and didn't see the door for about 3 or 4 times of dying before i finally saw it... i was pissed because i thought they actually made the game so that you are supposed to kill that thing with a wimpy broken weapon, lol...

• Like 1

thanks fellas - lol, i did manage to beat that asylum demon last night.

didn't even use the fireball; ended up just duck n' divin' like a politician at a Congressional hearing. Short of boring the asylum demon with non-sensical explanations like our political leaders would otherwise, I just felled him with the flying attack and a few well-placed axe hits, and the use of an estus flask.

ah yes, Magical Kool-Aid.

Am now at the place the Dark Souls version of the Nexus - that campsite. I leveled-up my endurance and am now @ level...3? Although the counter next to my endurance/vitality on-screen still displays a big fat "00". Like the ugly novelty sport shirts some people wear. How will this increase, eventually?

thanks fellas - lol, i did manage to beat that asylum demon last night.

didn't even use the fireball; ended up just duck n' divin' like a politician at a Congressional hearing. Short of boring the asylum demon with non-sensical explanations like our political leaders would otherwise, I just felled him with the flying attack and a few well-placed axe hits, and the use of an estus flask.

ah yes, Magical Kool-Aid.

Am now at the place the Dark Souls version of the Nexus - that campsite. I leveled-up my endurance and am now @ level...3? Although the counter next to my endurance/vitality on-screen still displays a big fat "00". Like the ugly novelty sport shirts some people wear. How will this increase, eventually?

suggestions include booting dex to wield short bow sold at undead burg

and then boosting strenght to 16 to use the drake sword obtained by shooting the drake's tail on the bridge after the taurus demon boss

after that you have to choosse how you fight ... STR DEX INT or FAITH

If you go str wich is mainly the big 2 handed weapons enchanting weapon with the raw enchantement is probably best.since it lighlty affect STR mods and boosts physically dmg

If you go dex going straight +15 is probably best since most enchantements downgrades dex weapon modifiers.

If you go Int sorcery spells and Magic Weapon enchantment is the way to go since to boost int modifiers on weapon to grade A.

And faith is divine for spells and weapon upgrade.

Suggestions also include staying below 25% max weight load for best mobility/dodge.

If you don't plan on using his armor that you get later in the game ... killing the knight in golden armor in the undead church will give a ring of favor and protection the greatly increases max load stamina and hp but breaks if removed, and it'll prevent him from disabling the fire link shrines camp fire.

Basic tips for early game imo

• Like 2

I need some advice on how best to tackle the Taurus Demon from one of you helpful souls. He is handing me my ass every time I face him and I have yet to devise any sort of strategy that gets me anywhere except back at the bonfire.

Edit: Scratch that, got him figured out now. :yay:

damnit, i really need to get the finger out and re-start dark souls.

i wish my 2 year old could read his own bedtime stories sometimes, just so i can get a break and fire-up a video game from time to time.

suggestions include booting dex to wield short bow sold at undead burg

and then boosting strenght to 16 to use the drake sword obtained by shooting the drake's tail on the bridge after the taurus demon boss

after that you have to choosse how you fight ... STR DEX INT or FAITH

If you go str wich is mainly the big 2 handed weapons enchanting weapon with the raw enchantement is probably best.since it lighlty affect STR mods and boosts physically dmg

If you go dex going straight +15 is probably best since most enchantements downgrades dex weapon modifiers.

If you go Int sorcery spells and Magic Weapon enchantment is the way to go since to boost int modifiers on weapon to grade A.

And faith is divine for spells and weapon upgrade.

Suggestions also include staying below 25% max weight load for best mobility/dodge.

If you don't plan on using his armor that you get later in the game ... killing the knight in golden armor in the undead church will give a ring of favor and protection the greatly increases max load stamina and hp but breaks if removed, and it'll prevent him from disabling the fire link shrines camp fire.

Basic tips for early game imo

Thanks, Maitre. Good tips, will have to consider my character build from that point on. Much appreciated!

...Although the counter next to my endurance/vitality on-screen still displays a big fat "00". Like the ugly novelty sport shirts some people wear. How will this increase, eventually?
That counter is your Humanity meter. As you pick up Humanity in the game, it goes in your inventory. You can hotkey since it's a consumable or just use it via the menu. Each time you use one, your Humanity meter increases by 1 (unless you have Twin Humanities which, as you would think, increases Humanity by 2). Once you've consumed your Humanity, you can do a couple of things.

1. You can reverse your hollowing at a bonfire, making you 'human' again. This is much the same as in Demon's Souls. While you're human you can be invaded, and can see soul signs to summon other players.

2. While you're human, you can kindle a bonfire, which increases your Estus Flask count. To begin with, you can kindle the bonfires once, giving you a total of 10 Estus Flasks. Once you acquire the Rite of Kindling, you can kindle the bonfires two more times, giving you a total of 20 Estus Flasks. NOTE: You can only kindle while in human form.

3. If you don't do either #1 or #2, the number of humanity you consume affects 2 things: Your Item Discovery (which affects drop rates) and your resistance to the Curse status. The higher your humanity, the higher these two things will be.

Edited by Hitman1105

3. If you don't do either #1 or #2, the number of humanity you consume affects 2 things: Your Item Discovery (which affects drop rates) and your resistance to the Curse status. The higher your humanity, the higher these two things will be.

But when you die if you don't reach your corpse humanity will lost along with your souls.

But when you die if you don't reach your corpse humanity will lost along with your souls.

Well, I figured that went without saying, but yes, if you die, you lose all the Humanity you've consumed unless you can make it back to your bloodstain.

I was under the impression that you didn't have to join a covenant to get the trophy for it, but the trophy for the princess guard didn't ding for me when I talked to whats-her-face after Ornstein and Smough. Did I miss something, or do I have to actually join the covenant? I was offered and declined because I want to rank up in the Chaos covenant before joining another.