Multiple sources saying Series X is $599.99. What do you think the PS5 is going to be?

The_Mighty_Ducks

On 09/09/2020 at 6:05 PM, cris3f said:

Sony can't afford easily a price war with money losing consoles. Besides gaming the only division they have providing money is image sensors. Everything else makes little profits or has no grow potential in that area ($$$), as it doesn't matter if it sells or not the bottom line is how much money they make from it.

Microsoft can afford to lose a ton of money in the games division, it's pocket change to them. Their OEM and office divisions provide gazillions of profits that Sony can't even dream of getting. Wanting, they could crush Sony in a snap. But gaming is a peanuts division for Microsoft, which they don't even remotely care. PC gaming is more important to them, as it lines up with their core business.

Lucky for Sony. For now.

That is some hardcore revisionism right there. 

It's certainly true that the gaming division is more vital for Sony than Microsoft with Sony making 27% of it's revenue from it while Microsoft makes just 9% (Nintendo is 100% for completions sake), however to put it down that they don't care is heavily incorrect. Oh and side note, Sony make near double what Microsoft does in gaming so if they were making the same amount of money the % of total revenue would be closer.

Microsoft gained real interest in gaming when Sony with their new style of business in the industry, the whole multimedia stuff, "controlling the living room", defeated Nintendo and Sega's gaming only focus by massive margins. They really wanted to defeat Sony and get all those multimedia profits for themselves. Them being loaded doesn't mean they don't want to make even more money. Though I wouldn't blame you to think they don't care now. Some real mixed signals with their new one. On one hand they're marketing their new box as the supreme gaming machine, they're saying they're expanding investment in studios, and then... they're doing the whole "or you know, get it all on PC" which gives off the vibe they're trying to transplant as many people on to that before they scrap Xbox.

• Like 1

On 09.09.2020 at 10:06 PM, Alderriz said:

I always thought the discless PS5 would cost $399 and the disc-based would be $499. There were rumors about the PS5 hardware costing $450. So in my mind, they want to sell the base unit at a small profit, and lose money on the digital version while making it more affordable and incentivizing people to buy more digital games. 

So I was right, lol.