Any good?

its_ArchroniX

What is everyone's opinion on the game? 

Sure looks like a walking simulator (which I personally really love) and I get some Kholat vibes from looking at gameplay of this game. The platinum doesn't seem too hard either :) .

It's currently on sale in the EU store for 2,99 euros so not much for a game overall.

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 2

I'm biased as it's one of very few games set in my neck of the woods, but I really enjoyed it. It is indeed a walking simulator, with veeeeeery limited "action" sequences at the end of the game. I'd recommend it. Never tried the VR version...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just found Kona thanks to a YouTube video that was recommending fun and worthwhile platinums from the PS Extra catalog, and I absolutely loved it! I’d stumbled upon this game in the past but thought it was VR only and didn’t really take a look at it, but I’m glad I finally found my way to it. Better late than never. ?

Kona is mostly a walking-simulator, but has some light survival elements (health, mental health, warmth) as well as some very light action, and an overall tone of mystery/horror. Where the game really excels though is in it’s atmosphere and storytelling. There’s a very haunting sense of isolation and loneliness as you explore the frigid wilderness town and gradually uncover the mystery of what happened to these people, broken up occasionally by a very enjoyable narration that describes what your character is seeing, thinking, and feeling. The soundtrack is great too and features local folk music that adds a unique Quebecois flavour.

Side note, as a Canadian it was also pretty neat seeing a game set in Canada for once, and exploring the highly unique French-Canadian culture that is exclusive to the province of Quebec. A lot of people don’t realize that Canada actually produces a ton of video games, movies, and television, but these products are always geared towards the much larger American market, and so you don’t often see stories that are actually set in country. Perhaps I am biased, but I thought it was pretty neat.

I’d really recommend this game to anybody. It’s very relaxing and enjoyable to play and explore, and is the perfect kind of game to play late at night in the dark and just settle in to the wonderful atmosphere and mystery of the story. It’s a relatively short and easy platinum too. I would recommend 2 runs — a blind playthrough where you take your time, search the world thoroughly and grab all collectibles and misc trophies, and then a 2nd speed run without the use of vehicles/guns/alcohol/smokes.

• Like 3

On 17/7/2022 at 10:17 PM, dieselmanchild said:

I just found Kona thanks to a YouTube video that was recommending fun and worthwhile platinums from the PS Extra catalog, and I absolutely loved it! I’d stumbled upon this game in the past but thought it was VR only and didn’t really take a look at it, but I’m glad I finally found my way to it. Better late than never. 1f642.png

Kona is mostly a walking-simulator, but has some light survival elements (health, mental health, warmth) as well as some very light action, and an overall tone of mystery/horror. Where the game really excels though is in it’s atmosphere and storytelling. There’s a very haunting sense of isolation and loneliness as you explore the frigid wilderness town and gradually uncover the mystery of what happened to these people, broken up occasionally by a very enjoyable narration that describes what your character is seeing, thinking, and feeling. The soundtrack is great too and features local folk music that adds a unique Quebecois flavour.

Side note, as a Canadian it was also pretty neat seeing a game set in Canada for once, and exploring the highly unique French-Canadian culture that is exclusive to the province of Quebec. A lot of people don’t realize that Canada actually produces a ton of video games, movies, and television, but these products are always geared towards the much larger American market, and so you don’t often see stories that are actually set in country. Perhaps I am biased, but I thought it was pretty neat.

I’d really recommend this game to anybody. It’s very relaxing and enjoyable to play and explore, and is the perfect kind of game to play late at night in the dark and just settle in to the wonderful atmosphere and mystery of the story. It’s a relatively short and easy platinum too. I would recommend 2 runs — a blind playthrough where you take your time, search the world thoroughly and grab all collectibles and misc trophies, and then a 2nd speed run without the use of vehicles/guns/alcohol/smokes.

@dieselmanchild I agree with with you in many oints you make. Exploration is the best part, especially when you realize that the main character arrive in the town only after 1 hour the last inhabitants left the city.

Also a sequel is coming in 2023.  I wonder how much time has pass between the ending of the first game.

• Like 2

On 2022-07-17 at 3:17 PM, dieselmanchild said:

Agreed, so many games are produced in Canada (and in Montreal in particular), but they rarely use a Canadian setting. Sort of a Canadian actor in Hollywood trope I suppose. It was a lot of fun to see common Québécois names in Kona - and it's certainly a bonus that the game was a lot of fun! :D

4 hours ago, ASMODAIOS344 said:

@dieselmanchild I agree with with you in many oints you make. Exploration is the best part, especially when you realize that the main character arrive in the town only after 1 hour the last inhabitants left the city.

Also a sequel is coming in 2023.  I wonder how much time has pass between the ending of the first game.

I hadn’t seen that teaser yet, that’s awesome!

I did go and look at the mostly dead subreddit after finishing the game, and saw that the developers confirmed a sequel was in the works. But that was quite some time ago, so it’s great to hear there has since been an official announcement. Hopefully we can learn more details soon about the setting, story, whether Carl is returning etc. ?

3 hours ago, visighost said:

Agreed, so many games are produced in Canada (and in Montreal in particular), but they rarely use a Canadian setting. Sort of a Canadian actor in Hollywood trope I suppose. It was a lot of fun to see common Québécois names in Kona - and it's certainly a bonus that the game was a lot of fun! :D

Speaking of Hollywood, most people have no idea just how many huge blockbuster movies are filmed and produced up here as well. The low dollar helps production companies save money, but the Canadian government also offers a ton of subsidies and tax incentives to lure these American companies North. But despite this you rarely see films ever set in Canada, it’s almost always the same old 4-5 American cities in every movie. ?

It was cool seeing a game set here, but even more so that it ended up being a really enjoyable game. After playing Kona I am interested in checking out The Long Dark one of these days. Looks like a different kind of game but another one set in the chilly and remote wilderness up North that might be able to replicate that same feel. At least until Kona 2 comes! ?

1 hour ago, dieselmanchild said:

Speaking of Hollywood, most people have no idea just how many huge blockbuster movies are filmed and produced up here as well. The low dollar helps production companies save money, but the Canadian government also offers a ton of subsidies and tax incentives to lure these American companies North. But despite this you rarely see films ever set in Canada, it’s almost always the same old 4-5 American cities in every movie. 1f606.png

Except when you see the airports... "Hey, that's Pearson/Vancouver/Dorval!" :D

On 2022-07-19 at 4:59 PM, visighost said:

Except when you see the airports... "Hey, that's Pearson/Vancouver/Dorval!" :D

This might be straying a bit off topic but I wanted to share this anyways. I stumbled upon this video a few years ago about how Vancouver specifically is used in movies, and it’s quite an interesting watch!

Vancouver is an interesting city with an eclectic blend of locations and architectural styles inspired from cities around the world. While this sometimes can be to the city’s detriment as it doesn’t have the same uniquely identifying characteristics as some of Canada’s older and more famous cities, it does mean that the city has so many streets, parks, and buildings that can very easily be disguised as belonging to great cities from around the globe with just a little “movie magic”. It makes it a prime filming location for Hollywood productions. ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 7.10.2020 at 1:19 PM, its_ArchroniX said:

What is everyone's opinion on the game? 

Sure looks like a walking simulator (which I personally really love) and I get some Kholat vibes from looking at gameplay of this game. The platinum doesn't seem too hard either :) .

It's currently on sale in the EU store for 2,99 euros so not much for a game overall.

Yes, it's good