My ps2 turns off when I insert a game

a10j12

Hey guys now this is a weird one. So after I think three years I decided to go back and turn on my ps2 and play some old games I used to play like dogs life and r-type final. However something weird happened. When I turned it on it went to the moving blue lights as it always does only...... they weren’t moving they all just stayed in one position. Went to the clock and I wasn’t able to change the time. Then I insert a ps1 game Colin McRae rally. It worked then after a few minutes it turned off. I put a different disc in and as soon as I close the tray it turns off. I put the disc in before turning it on and it turns off immediately when I turn it on. Anything I can do I’ve looked everywhere, some say it’s completely broke others say it could be the adapter.

Here’s a bit of back story my old ps2 broke back in the day because the adapter broke. Can’t remember what exactly happened to it because I was a kid when it happened. And that happened over a decade ago and I still have it. I decided to try to turn it on and it worked but the exact same problem no moving lights and turns off when a disc goes in. I have a bad feeling the adapter I’m using could possibly be the broken one since it’s been years and I might have mixed them up and haven’t noticed. And since they both have the exact same problem I’m thinking it could be the adapter.

I’m thinking of just buying a ps2 at a retro games store but I just want to be sure if it’s the adapter or the entire console. Anyways I’ll keep trying and I’ll also be searching for the adapter I might have misplaced. See you all later.

Edited by a10j12

11 minutes ago, RAIDEN_934 said:

I Think the Power cable is Broken you shout change try it ;)

Your probably right I’ll keep trying to look for the other one, but I’m not even sure if I threw the other one away or I kept it. I might be using the correct one and it’s the console. I’ll keep trying and see if I can find it or if someone knows what’s up. 

Here’s a quick update after trying to change the time on the clock by pressing random buttons the blue lights started moving again. That’s kinda interesting. Edit: Tried using a disc and same problem it immediately turned off however when I turned it back on the lights are still moving so yeah just a quick update.

Edited by a10j12

Yeah, sounds like it's the adaptor/power brick if you remember having the same issues with your other PS2. All I can really suggest is make sure all the connections are tight and all that, but I'm sure you've already done. Also try a different TV if you can, if you haven't already, but I doubt that's the issue. I actually thought my PS2 was dying earlier this year because the display was kinda acting up, but it just turned out the connector on the console itself had somehow become a little loose, even though I hadn't really touched it in forever.

It shouldn't be too hard or expensive to get a new official adaptor (perhaps even a decent third party one), stores like Cex around here still sell plenty of PS2s, and they usually come with the official adaptors as well (official controllers, not so much).

On 10/11/2020 at 11:57 AM, a10j12 said:

Here’s a quick update after trying to change the time on the clock by pressing random buttons the blue lights started moving again. That’s kinda interesting. Edit: Tried using a disc and same problem it immediately turned off however when I turned it back on the lights are still moving so yeah just a quick update.

If the lights aren't moving at all, it means your CMOS battery is dead. If you have a fat ps2, you can use a ps3/ps4 power cable to test it. If you have a slim, you'll need a replacement brick

• 2 weeks later...