Will I like this if I didn’t like the previous 2 games?

Sifferino

So, I didn’t like the previous games. I love a good post-apocalyptic game (Days Gone, Fallout 3/4, etc.) with a good story, I like shooters (melee combat is fine too) but I don’t like stealth and/or survival-horror. I am drawn to the Metro series for the story, but I just couldn’t get into the first two games with its dark & gloomy metro corridors, scarcity of ammo, filters and all that. 

Now with number 3 I find myself drawn to it again. It looks great and I’d love to go explore the world outside. I’d love to get some perspective: can I understand the story without knowing what came before? Is it more of the same or different gameplay? What kind of games would you compare it to? Thanks in advance for your insight. 

It's more open world than the previous 2 games, but does still have some more, corridor-esque linear sections. Gameplay is much of the same, but you don't really need to rely on stealth to get through it, but it may screw with your ending if you just kill everyone willy nilly. Not really too sure what the prerequisites are for the good ending in this game, I managed to get it without even trying anyway.

You will definitely be missing out on some story references if you haven't played the previous games, but it should still be mostly understandable. If I had to compare it to other games, I guess it's somewhat similar to Far Cry, particularly 2, but it's definitely not that similar. It has some open world sections with some side quests, but it definitely isn't a giant world to explore like that in Far Cry, and the sections that are "open world" are still fairly small.

41 minutes ago, SairenOne said:

will you like an apple if you didn´t like apples?

I think it's nice seeing someone who, without prejudice still tries to give a chance to the franchise while the previous didn't match his personal tastes. A lot of other people who didn't like a game from a franchise, or even a company will not try the rest. He even gave the concrete reasons as to why he didn't like, survival-horror and stealth, we have seen many games losing their past essence, simplifying mechanics, etc. such as The Witcher or Mass Effect series, so nothing wrong asking.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, YonahFuriae said:

I think it's nice seeing someone who, without prejudice still tries to give a chance to the franchise while the previous didn't match his personal tastes. A lot of other people who didn't like a game from a franchise, or even a company will not try the rest. He even gave the concrete reasons as to why he didn't like, survival-horror and stealth, we have seen many games losing their past essence, simplifying mechanics, etc. such as The Witcher or Mass Effect series, so nothing wrong asking.

Thank you. Indeed, this happened to me with Assassin’s Creed for example. I loved the hell out of Origins & Odyssey, which was unexpected as I never liked any AC before those. It also happened to Codemaster’s F1 games. And it happened (negatively) with Fallout: loved 3 and NV, don’t like 4. So yeah, I have learnt not to assume too much or risk missing out on some great gaming memories. 

• Like 1