Am I just not getting the fun of this game?

I always meant to play this but I missed it back when it came out and then it just got added to my backlog and stayed there. When I was younger, I played Spider-Man 2 and 3 on PS2. I platinumed The Amazing Spider-Man on PS3 and Vita and Spider-Man on PS4. I just don't seem to be having fun with this one. It feels too hard and I'm not enjoying it. I'm up to the Sandman level and I keep getting killed over and over again. Everyone always seemed to say such great things about this game. Am I missing something? Am I playing the wrong way? I was following the trophy guide from playstationtrophies.org and going for the platinum emblems on hard for my first playthrough and then I was going to come back and do the time and combo platinum ratings. But this alone is kicking my arse, I don't know how I can get through these levels on this difficulty with combos or under the time limit.

I suggest playing through it on Normal first, this will allow you to get the character upgrades and then you can become familiar with the levels. Once you have most of the character upgrades the hard mode is much better/easier to play. In the end I actually probably played each level 3-4 times, once on normal the first time through and then typically one on hard to collect all the emblems and then one or two more to get the time and combo platinums. It definitely extends the overall time playing the game but I still hit the platinum in just over 2 weeks playing only a couple hours per night. 

On 18/02/2021 at 8:55 PM, Piecharka22 said:

I suggest playing through it on Normal first, this will allow you to get the character upgrades and then you can become familiar with the levels. Once you have most of the character upgrades the hard mode is much better/easier to play. In the end I actually probably played each level 3-4 times, once on normal the first time through and then typically one on hard to collect all the emblems and then one or two more to get the time and combo platinums. It definitely extends the overall time playing the game but I still hit the platinum in just over 2 weeks playing only a couple hours per night. 

Cool. I'll try that. I was ready to give up on this one but maybe I just need to play through it once on normal first. It might just be the hard playthrough was too hard for me to jump straight into. Thanks for the advice

Yeah i would defenitly not go on hard mode in the first playtrough, that's way too frustrating. As for the fun part, it differs. Some things i like like all the moves and enemy ragdolls, but i don't like a lot of the level designs, Especially deadpool level has terible design in my opinion. But hey each their own.

• 1 month later...

Necro’ing a thread for a moment but yeah; I would say playing a game with a guide at hand, on hard first time so you can stack the difficulty tells me you’re not playing for fun but just so you can tick it off a checklist. 

You’ve played the open world Spider-Man games but then there’s this and the PS1 games that are more of a beat-em-up style. Maybe that’s not your type of game? Some people say it’s weird to take a character known for exploration and freedom and change it to a combat focused style. But it is what it is.

The fun comes from the different variations of gameplay and seeing what boss shows up next. I personally quite like the Deadpool level but find Scorpion and Electro to be quite boring, despite usually liking both characters. Getting the combo trophies isn’t fun, though. There’s less than a handful of areas to do it in. 

If you don’t like this then I’d stay away from Edge of Time. Both games are quite pricey these days but that only has two Spider-Men and the gameplay is mostly the same, with less bosses.

I have more fond memories of playing this every year during my Christmas holiday than I do playing Edge of Time once a couple of years and getting bored at the second half of the game despite loving it at first but I want to replay EoT for some reason. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Lianco said:

Necro’ing a thread for a moment but yeah; I would say playing a game with a guide at hand, on hard first time so you can stack the difficulty tells me you’re not playing for fun but just so you can tick it off a checklist. 

You’ve played the open world Spider-Man games but then there’s this and the PS1 games that are more of a beat-em-up style. Maybe that’s not your type of game? Some people say it’s weird to take a character known for exploration and freedom and change it to a combat focused style. But it is what it is.

The fun comes from the different variations of gameplay and seeing what boss shows up next. I personally quite like the Deadpool level but find Scorpion and Electro to be quite boring, despite usually liking both characters. Getting the combo trophies isn’t fun, though. There’s less than a handful of areas to do it in. 

If you don’t like this then I’d stay away from Edge of Time. Both games are quite pricey these days but that only has two Spider-Men and the gameplay is mostly the same, with less bosses.

I have more fond memories of playing this every year during my Christmas holiday than I do playing Edge of Time once a couple of years and getting bored at the second half of the game despite loving it at first but I want to replay EoT for some reason. 

Well I play games because I think I'll enjoy them. I've only ever played one game for the platinum without enjoying it and I regretted it as soon as I earned it. I've made a list of all the game I currently want to play and I'm working my way through them. So I disagree with what you're saying. Just because I have a backlog of games I want to play, doesn't mean I'm doing it just for the trophies. I wanted to play this game for the longest time. I heard about it back when it came out and then I ended up not playing for various reasons. I finally got around to it now when I'm clearing my PS3 backlog. Using a guide doesn't mean I'm just here for trophies. But I would like to optimise my time. Sometimes, certain games can be platinumed in 1 playthrough on hard and it's doable. If I were to play some of those games on easy, then medium, then hard, I'd probably lose interest having to redo them over and over again.

I was never really planning on playing Edge of Time. I saw that the reviews for that one weren't great. I thought if I fell in love with this one I'd give that one a go but right now, it's not looking like I'll give it a chance. I'm not going to force myself to play it just for the platinum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 2/14/2021 at 10:50 AM, HMS_Victor said:

I always meant to play this but I missed it back when it came out and then it just got added to my backlog and stayed there. When I was younger, I played Spider-Man 2 and 3 on PS2. I platinumed The Amazing Spider-Man on PS3 and Vita and Spider-Man on PS4. I just don't seem to be having fun with this one. It feels too hard and I'm not enjoying it. I'm up to the Sandman level and I keep getting killed over and over again. Everyone always seemed to say such great things about this game. Am I missing something? Am I playing the wrong way? I was following the trophy guide from playstationtrophies.org and going for the platinum emblems on hard for my first playthrough and then I was going to come back and do the time and combo platinum ratings. But this alone is kicking my arse, I don't know how I can get through these levels on this difficulty with combos or under the time limit.

I'm near the plat myself and I agree, Im not one to get burned out but the games inconsistent mechanics have drove me a bit mad. 
Shame I played it ages ago for like an hour but never got to play more and was so excited but not very impressed. Not to mention their overused punching bosses sequence.

• 2 weeks later...