PS5(disk version) Coilwhine ..

Deluziion90

I've been a PC player for years and never even noticed coilwhine and I know it isn't harmfull for the hardware but it's so annoying.

I've been playing on my PS5 since mid december and never noticed anything untill I recently started playing godfall.

It's been since yesterday like my PS5 starts making all kinds of weird coil noises. When I'm in a loading screen it's completely silent but when the game starts I always hear a weird high pitched buzz. 

Anyone else got that problem weeks or months later after they got there ps5?

6 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

I've been a PC player for years and never even noticed coilwhine and I know it isn't harmfull for the hardware but it's so annoying.

I've been playing on my PS5 since mid december and never noticed anything untill I recently started playing godfall.

It's been since yesterday like my PS5 starts making all kinds of weird coil noises. When I'm in a loading screen it's completely silent but when the game starts I always hear a weird high pitched buzz. 

The PS 4 Pro had coil whine too, but most of us did not hear it because of the extreme loud fan.

9 minutes ago, Deluziion90 said:

It is caused by the capacitors on the power supply

58 minutes ago, saiyanbloodstyle said:

I have this on mine, it's not annoying but i do notice it but as long as it's not very annoying it's fine.

What is annoying though is the blu-ray spinning every hear, it's pretty loud and the same when you're installing a game on disc, i'm very surprised Sony haven't brought out an update for this, everyone mentions it.

It's so annoying that it periodically spins the disc to make sure it's still in the drive

I have a Digital.

From the beginning, I noticed a noise that I thought was the fan. A rapid "tiktiktiktiktik" that I can hear whenever a game is running. I'm still not sure if that's the fan or some form of coil whine.

The first time I noticed obvious coil whine (the kind that is a high pitched squealing that changes its tone) was when I was playing FF7 Remake about a week after I got the PS5. This kind of coil whine doesn't happen in every game.. actually I'm pretty sure I only heard it during FF7.

Anyway, the good news is that none of these noises are particularly loud. I have my PS5 on a desk, about 3 feet (1 metre) away from my head, which is probably closer than most people. If there's background music going on, I don't notice it at all.

I have that on mine too,sometimes i play with all sounds turned off so i can hear it clearly and it likes to randomly start that noise for no reason. Usually stops after a minute or two.
BUT it will always stop immidiatly if ill touch upper part of both side panels. I squeeze it a little between two fingers and it stops. So i dunno,it seems like some loose part inside might be the cause of it.

Thats what you get for buying first batch i guess....

The weird part how I start noticing is when  I was scrolling through items in a menu.

theres like a 0.5sec delay when going from one item to the next and in the 0.5 second it changes the weird high pitch.

so going really fast through it is a constant high low high low and so on sound.

Happens in Godfall but when playing demons souls or astros I don’t notice anything

19 hours ago, Deluziion90 said:

The weird part how I start noticing is when  I was scrolling through items in a menu.

theres like a 0.5sec delay when going from one item to the next and in the 0.5 second it changes the weird high pitch.

so going really fast through it is a constant high low high low and so on sound.

Happens in Godfall but when playing demons souls or astros I don’t notice anything

Is it loading different graphics or something for each item? I don't have Godfall.

On my PS5, the coil/fan noise sounds different depending on what's displayed on screen.. It could get quiet during loading screens (static images) and then start making noise once I'm in the game. Different types of menus could also cause that.. like, a menu that is just text, vs a menu that has 3D graphics and animations.

5 hours ago, peffsi said:

Is it loading different graphics or something for each item? I don't have Godfall.

On my PS5, the coil/fan noise sounds different depending on what's displayed on screen.. It could get quiet during loading screens (static images) and then start making noise once I'm in the game. Different types of menus could also cause that.. like, a menu that is just text, vs a menu that has 3D graphics and animations.

Exactly like this. Now I'm playing some lighter games and the ps5 is dead silent. Ahh well just wanted to know if other people on here have the same experience. Luckily it's not harmfull for the system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2021 at 2:24 PM, Deluziion90 said:

It's happening with my PS5 as well. It was super quiet when I got it a month ago but started buzzing recently. I've check countless of threads and mostly people are saying it's the fan or the disc. It's neither in my case. The buzzing is barely noticeable in the menu but the moment I start a game the buzzing gets louder and I can easily hear it from 3 meters away. I can just quickly go back to dashboard and the buzzing quiets down. It doesn't matter if the console is placed horizontally or vertically.

With the current stock situation it's not that easy to have the console replaced. I suspect this might be also software/update related as none of this was happening a week or two ago.