Days gone 2 could have Had Co op

Thephoenixshow

I mean, maybe Sony looks at the general lackluster performance of the State of Decay games on Xbox and decided heavy coop play wasn't a bread winner.  Multiplayer (or at least some form of 2-4 player coop) seems to be a popular trend in sequels to single player games that have kinda run out of story ideas... and we know how Sony feels about the single player blockbusters for the moment.

EDIT: Personally, if the current characters stories have concluded, I know I'd even prefer a new solo story with new characters in the Days Gone universe over multiplayer diluting whatever story a sequel like that would have... but that's just me.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I mean, maybe Sony looks at the general lackluster performance of the State of Decay games on Xbox and decided heavy coop play wasn't a bread winner.  Multiplayer (or at least some form of 2-4 player coop) seems to be a popular trend in sequels to single player games that have kinda run out of story ideas... and we know how Sony feels about the single player blockbusters for the moment.

EDIT: Personally, if the current characters stories have concluded, I know I'd even prefer a new solo story with new characters in the Days Gone universe over multiplayer diluting whatever story a sequel like that would have... but that's just me.

The State of Decay games did so poorly that Microsoft went ahead and acquired the developer behind them and funded a third game.

It's a shame Days Gone 2 seemingly isn't happening. The first was one of the most fun open world games this gen and I think it had some unique twists that made it stand out. Taking down hordes in co-op in a sequel could have been badass. Imagine how big those hordes could have been with the PS5 powering them. It was legit one of the things I was looking forward to the most with the PS5.

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 1

I'm loving Days Gone but it's not without it's problems e.g. pacing and choosing to split the missions up into numerous different story branches seems odd to me. I'd love a sequel and was dissapointed by the news last week that Sony rejected it but the co-op idea sounds meh it's fine as a single player game.

• Like 1

I love Days Gone. It's such a fantastic game. But only shit, that's an awful pitch idea for a sequel. I can see why Sony didn't greenlight it. A shared universe is extremely hard to pull off. Not many Studios are able to achieve that. You need a genius who is excellent in storytelling, and I don't think Bend Studios have the people or talent to pull it off. Sony games are strictly single-player. There is a reason why the games do so well. Adding Co-op in the sequel will make things awkward and unnecessary. If they wanted to implement co-op, they should have done that in the first game. Hopefully, Bend studio's next pitch idea is strictly single-player. Day's Gone has a lot of potential to become one of Sony's best IPs. People forget that Bend studio has little experience in creating these types of games, and they are a small studio. It's impressive how they were able to pull off this game. Can you imagine how a sequel will do with more staff, a better console, and better management. So much endless potential.

giphy.gif 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, iriihutoR84 said:

The State of Decay games did so poorly that Microsoft went ahead and acquired the developer behind them and funded a third game.

I couldn't tell you the sales numbers, but in general conversation in the gaming communities State of Decay and Undead Labs aren't a big talking point for Xbox exclusive series and studios.  They may be fine games, but being one of the least interesting exclusives on a console with almost no noteworthy exclusives shouldn't be so comforting. xD  Probably not what Sony is looking to emulate anyways.

Edited by Dreakon13

People crying over the sequel pitch being rejected when they didn't bother to look any further- jeez that doesn't sound great, really. I do believe that Days Gone will get a sequel one day and will be done right, as it deserves. Trust in Sony, hard as that may be- they know that their exclusives are their signature play and they'll do it right.

55 minutes ago, Stan Lee said:

People crying over the sequel pitch being rejected when they didn't bother to look any further- jeez that doesn't sound great, really. I do believe that Days Gone will get a sequel one day and will be done right, as it deserves. Trust in Sony, hard as that may be- they know that their exclusives are their signature play and they'll do it right.

DG is dead and buried just like the other 50+ IP Sony is sitting on that has never seen the light of day again.