PS4 complains Customer Reviews, amazone.com

ridwaano

I'm not saying I'm not seeing issues, sure there's valid issues, but you have to take into consideration the volume of it we see.  In order to equal the same amount of times you're seeing it on the internet, where it's something quoted over and over (that silly wobble thing) or just multiple people reporting the same issue, you would need hundreds of magazines/news alerts/etc all being shoved in your face.  One medium is much more demanding than the other, it just means your mentality is going to be very different (and probably more swayed vs one way or the other) from seeing hundreds of people on the internet quoting or reporting an issue rather than one or two articles you read.  Things on the internet spread like wildfire, whether it's true or not (viral videos anyone?).  It takes a long time for that to happen, in the same fast paced "viral" way, just from publications.  You see discussions, debates, views, etc from millions of other people that you don't get from reading a paper or article.  I'm not trying to defend Sony/PS4, I just want to give a different perspective on the matter :)

You see hundreds (if not potentially thousands) out of the millions of PS4's not working after $400 was spent on them as a valid issue...good to know :rolleyes: . Who's trying to equivilate all potential hardware failures to all those reported on the internet? Those are just the cases being brought to light but there could also be a bunch of people having the issue that live in areas where they cannot get a reliable enough internet connection to post something online about it. Again, its like you're some how trying to throw the accountability factor back on the consumers who are complaining about this and not on the console manfacture who released the faulty hardware. Obviously, you're still going to hold on to your opinion of the PS4 because you want to and don't want to believe there is something wrong with it or that you could potentially run into the same issue.

"You're not trying to defend Sony/PS4"...ok we'll go with that but you sure have put the credibility of the consumers who did not get their money's worth on release day on trail...simply because of the medium they used to voice their issues.

You see hundreds (if not potentially thousands) out of the millions of PS4's not working after $400 was spent on them as a valid issue...good to know :rolleyes: . Who's trying to equivilate all potential hardware failures to all those reported on the internet? Those are just the cases being brought to light but there could also be a bunch of people having the issue that live in areas where they cannot get a reliable enough internet connection to post something online about it. Again, its like you're some how trying to throw the accountability factor back on the consumers who are complaining about this and not on the console manfacture who released the faulty hardware. Obviously, you're still going to hold on to your opinion of the PS4 because you want to and don't want to believe there is something wrong with it or that you could potentially run into the same issue.

"You're not trying to defend Sony/PS4"...ok we'll go with that but you sure have put the credibility of the consumers who did not get their money's worth on release day on trail...simply because of the medium they used to voice their issues.

I think what I was trying to get at was taken incorrectly.  I'm not saying people are complaining, nor that they aren't allowed to say something.  Of course when something I buy doesn't work I'll say something or "complain" just the same.  I'm only stating that we see much more of it now and that I personally don't think that it's comparable to the PSone & PS2 launches like the original OP had referred to.  They asked why it's acceptable now and not before....I don't think it was acceptable back then either, there just wasn't as much awareness about it and that's what I was getting at.  In no way am I saying that people with legit issues are in the wrong or pushing it to the consumer.  I was merely addressing the PSone/PS2 comparison of not having this many issues reported within the first 24 hours, when there would be no way we could tell if it did or not as we didn't have the same mediums today that basically alerts us every 5 minutes (or seconds!) about news.  ^_^

I think what I was trying to get at was taken incorrectly. I'm not saying people are complaining, nor that they aren't allowed to say something. Of course when something I buy doesn't work I'll say something or "complain" just the same. I'm only stating that we see much more of it now and that I personally don't think that it's comparable to the PSone & PS2 launches like the original OP had referred to. They asked why it's acceptable now and not before....I don't think it was acceptable back then either, there just wasn't as much awareness about it and that's what I was getting at. In no way am I saying that people with legit issues are in the wrong or pushing it to the consumer. I was merely addressing the PSone/PS2 comparison of not having this many issues reported within the first 24 hours, when there would be no way we could tell if it did or not as we didn't have the same mediums today that basically alerts us every 5 minutes (or seconds!) about news. ^_^

Well, why isn't it comparible to the PSOne and PS2? Consider this...back with those prior generations of the Playstation console, Sony couldn't just release a fix online. No, they would actually have to either fix every broken case one by one or do a mass recall if many of their models were proven to be nonfunctional. I'm saying due to not having that option back then, more than likely more time, testing, and responsibility went into the manufacturing of the console...and that the number hardware failures were indeed lower. The consequences were more severe back then. That probably explains why more games back from those generations didn't have as many game breaking glitches...they simply could not patch the fix in via the internet. No, they would actually have to re-release the game fixing whatever the issue was and pissing off all the people who bought the original broken copy in the first place.

Edited by merciful84

Well, why isn't it comparible to the PSOne and PS2? Consider this...back with those prior generations of the Playstation console, Sony couldn't just release a fix online. No, they would actually have to either fix every broken case one by one or do a mass recall if many of their models were proven to be nonfunctional. I'm saying due to not having that option back then, more than likely more time, testing, and responsibility went into the manufacturing of the console...and that the number hardware failures were indeed lower. The consequences were more severe back then. That probably explains why more games back from those generations didn't have as many game breaking glitches...they simply could not patch the fix in via the internet. No, they would actually have to re-release the game fixing whatever the issue was and pissing off all the people who bought the original broken copy in the first place.

We're pretty lucky then to live in an age where not every small glitch or annoyance requires a whole new system (OS) or game :) We can voice our concerns/opinions/suggestions and have it patched easily.  I'm quite sure the making of both next gen models was vastly more complex than their previous models, which makes the error of margin even higher.  There's a lot more variables to consider now than PS1 days.  Mass recalls still happen, doesn't really matter what generation it is.  Again, we simply hear about it happening more than we did before (at least myself).  Doesn't necessarily mean it's happening more (it could be, I've no way to tell), just that we're more aware of the amount of reports coming in.  

Not really, its only something to live with because someone told you it was acceptable and you believed it. Whether we are talking about a PS4 or calculator...if you pay money for something, then you should get something that is at minimum functional...PERIOD! Now minor glitches here and there...sure, nothing can be expected to be perfect but to get a $400 paper weight or something hella glitchy...not so much.

You know, there actually are ways to test if each and every model can at least power on before boxing them...right? More less if the hardware parts are functional! I would hope that when manufaturing each interation of the product that at least simple tests are run on the console. Evidently, you don't expect this and seems to be why you are defending the acceptablity of someone recieving a bricked PS4 on day one. Trust me, companies (especially tech companies) are going to want to make a good impression on its fan base on day one of its newest product release because they know word of mouth is a power thing. Especially in the internet age.

Clearly there's no logical way to get through to you.

Enjoy your pessimistic outlook on everything.

We're pretty lucky then to live in an age where not every small glitch or annoyance requires a whole new system (OS) or game :) We can voice our concerns/opinions/suggestions and have it patched easily.  I'm quite sure the making of both next gen models was vastly more complex than their previous models, which makes the error of margin even higher.  There's a lot more variables to consider now than PS1 days.  Mass recalls still happen, doesn't really matter what generation it is.  Again, we simply hear about it happening more than we did before (at least myself).  Doesn't necessarily mean it's happening more (it could be, I've no way to tell), just that we're more aware of the amount of reports coming in.  

Yeah only the ones that "brick" your brand new $400 console...there's nothing "lucky or fortunate" about that. Its called getting it right the first time and being held accountable for doing so. Far more greatly complexed in designed...though you claim not to be defending Sony/PS4 that sounds awfully a lot like apologetics to me.

But here's the thing...it didn't happen with the PSOne or with the PS2 but with these same issues it may have. The only reason it probably won't happen now is because they're just patching the problem(s) up as they go instead of releasing a proper console like they should've...like they used to. And its all because they can and so many of us don't hold them accountable to.

Back in the mid and late 90s, just picking up a magazine or 2 would have as easily informed you about hardware failures as it does today on the internet. Again, you don't want to believe its happening more, so you will continue not to.

Clearly there's no logical way to get through to you.

Enjoy your pessimistic outlook on everything.

Right because believing that its ok to buy $400 paper weight at launch is very logical. :giggle:

Edited by merciful84

Yeah only the ones that "brick" your brand new $400 console...there's nothing "lucky or fortunate" about that. Its called getting it right the first time and being held accountable for doing so. Far more greatly complexed in designed...though you claim not to be defending Sony/PS4 that sounds awfully a lot like apologetics to me.

But here's the thing...it didn't happen with the PSOne or with the PS2 but with these same issues it may have. The only reason it probably won't happen now is because they're just patch the problem(s) up as they go instead of releasing a proper console like they should've...like they used to. And its all because they can and so many of us don't hold them accountable to.

Back in the mid and late 90s, just picking up a magazine or 2 would have as easily informed you about hardware failures as it does today on the internet. Again, you don't want to believe its happening more, so you will continue not to.

Right because believing that its ok to buy $400 paper weight at launch is very logical. :giggle:

I don't remember ever saying that, only that its never something to rule out or think you will be exempt from when buying anything, especially electronics.

I don't remember ever saying that, only that its never something to rule out or think you will be exempt from when buying anything, especially electronics.

It has nothing to do with not "thinking" as consumers. Its just something that we have to live with in our world.

Of course things are going to go wrong with products that are being produced by machines at such a massive scale. Plenty of other electronics have had higher failure rates than the estimated amount of PS4 failures. I know Sony's case is unique because of their immediate console malfunctions but it happens all the times.

8095765.121d6f53.jpg

Edited by merciful84

1986d1332082574-pocketesn-quickly-get-in

And regarding the article... 

This.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/unlucky-playstation-4-owners-face-blue-light-death-2D11603681

NBC put some perfect points, some of which are: 

1) "Sony, which had already addressed some of the PS4's performance issues prior to launch, responded by posting troubleshooting tips on its support forum. According to the tips Sony posted, the "blue light of death" could be indicative of everything from basic "TV compatibility" issues to defects with the PS4's power supply, hard drive or "other PS4 hardware."

- Its really obvious that most people don't know what they're doing this is most likely the main issue. 

2) "It's unclear just how systemic these performance issues are so far. The PlayStation 4's Amazon review page has been flooded with negative feedback. Given how aggressive many die-hard gamers can get with their online activities, there's no telling how many of those reviews are legitimate customer experiences versus efforts by Xbox One fans to sabotage the closest rival. Of the professional reviews posted last week, only two major gaming outlets —IGN and Kotaku — identified performance issues with PS4 retail units."

- This. Most are probably fanboy's trolling and who trusts IGN? (I've never been on Kotaku.) But IGN is known for its BS.

3) "In a statement given to NBC News last week, Sony put the failure rate for the new hardware at 0.4 percent. The console sold more than 1 million units its first day on the market, which would mean there's somewhere around 4,000 suffering from some sort of defectThough 4,000 unhappy gamers isn't an insignificant number, labeling the PS4's launch issues the "blue light of death" seems unfair. The name is a reference to the Xbox 360's notorious "red ring of death," a problem that, according to Microsoft's own statements, affected between 3 percent and 5 percent of that console's early units and ultimately proved so pervasive that the company ended up extending the warranty period for early adopters. In a 2012 feature story, Wired Magazine called the Xbox 360 'one of the most public warranty debacles in the past decade.' Only time will tell how widespread Sony's problems with the PlayStation 4 are, but they don't seem to be anywhere near "red ring of death" levels yet. Asked for comment on this story, a Sony representative reiterated the company's statement from last week that described the defective units as "a very small percentage of total units shipped to consumers to date."

-  So this is a very minor problem, to pull such a show is ridiculous and there's no reason to be worried. Xbox One will have the same just like every other console. Ignore the exaggerations and BS from the media, and have fun. Game on:pimp: 

Edited by Shervink
  • Like 3

1986d1332082574-pocketesn-quickly-get-in

Nope, just someone who's obviously not drunk on the Sony koolaid. And someone who posts that the Amazon comments are part of a conspiracy set in motion by XBOX fans isn't? Seriously?!

1) Every new console has troubleshooting methods! That can't help you much if you can't power on your console! As far as hardware defects...you're already releasing a disclaimer about known hardware defects on day one?!

2) The whole conspiracy theory thing...and I'm trolling?!

3) That's 4,000 out of those who have actually bought the console so far! 4,000 is a lot of defective units, man! That's acceptable? I'm sure it wouldn't be if you were one of the people who spent at minimum $400 on it, only to find that it was a paper weight.

You're telling me a bunch of stuff I already know and have acknowledged. Whether I say it, TC says it, the folks on Amazon says it, or NBC says it, it still doesn't make it acceptable.

Edited by merciful84

Nope, just someone who's obviously not drunk on the Sony koolaid. And someone who posts that the Amazon comments are part of a conspiracy set in motion by XBOX fans isn't? Seriously?!

1) Every new console has troubleshooting methods! That can't help you much if you can't power on your console! As far as hardware defects...you're already releasing a disclaimer about known hardware defects on day one?!

3) That's 4,000 out of those who have actually bought the console so far! 4,000 is a lot of defective units, man! That's acceptable? I'm sure it wouldn't be if you were one of the people who spent at minimum $400 on it, only to find that it was a paper weight.

You're telling me a bunch of stuff I already know and have acknowledged. Whether I say it, TC says it, the folks on Amazon says it, or NBC says it, it still doesn't make it acceptable.

How about instead of trolling the forum and bitching at us you actually go and read the reviews.

One mentions their house burning down because of their PS4 overheating, another talks about having to fight aliens..

I'm sure some of the negative and unverified reviews are legit but if you actually take the time to read before you spout garbage on here you'll see that at least 1/3 of those negative reviews (1/4 of the total reviews so far) are trolls.

The more you know.

• Like 2

You really are an interesting specimen, I shall deem you "Hybrid Troll" 

1) Sony stated they would fix the consoles with problems, every console had problems and will have problems. 

2) Its no conspiracy, are you telling me that there aren't fanboys/trolls? What perfect world do you live in?

3) 4,000 is an estimate, its most likely lower.

If you have acknowledged the facts, then you wouldn't be here and you would realize that it is acceptable. Sony is working with the people with issues and has a very high success rate. Sony has been listening to the people and will continue. Now excuse me, I need some more "Sony Koolaid"   

• Like 1

Apparently the PS2 sold half a million units on day one.

My first PS2 lasted for 2 days and died.

I didnt go on the internet crying about my bricked £300 paperweight.

I telephoned Sony and I had a brand new PS2 (in retail packaging) at the house 2 days later. They never lifted my original PS2 and a year later I got it fixed.

The PS4 sold one million units on day one.

So twice the number of likely failures.

All products have a % failure rate, just be glad that its a games console and not something serious like a pacemaker or a defibrillator that has chosen not to operate.

• Like 2

To be fair, PS2's are ridiculously simple, where software is concerned.  Also, because they were released before the internet became...well, what it is today, it's a lot harder to tell just how many of them were shipped defective (I doubt there is an official number, right?)  The internet allows for angry vocal people to vent their frustrations on a global platform (like me with this no offline trophy nonsense, for example.)  So, I just don't know if we can say for sure that they were more reliable at launch.

Personally, I don't give much thought to 1-star and 5-star reviews on Amazon, esepecially when it comes to things like consoles.  Abusive ratings and reviews are a well-documented fact, not just on Amazon, but on other sites like Yelp as well.  I promise when the Xbox One comes out there will be just as many negative reviews written by immature children who like Sony.  It's just an unfortunate aspect of the internet, I guess.

It's laughable at the amount of fanboy-driven fake reviews on Amazon. I'm sure it will be just as bad when the Xbox One launches.This video below just shows how easy it is to write a fake review. Sad to see this whole thing go out of proportion and have given Sony a bad name, despite it not being as bad as the internet makes it out to be.

Edited by Herwest299
  • Like 1

Some of those reviews are hilarious - by default they are sorted by how many people found it useful, so the first few pages are mainly amazon verified purchases, whereas if you look at the other end of the list you get the ones that exploded but didn't take out the gerbils.... lol!

Being in the UK i have a few days to wait to get mine, my fingers are crossed that it works ok, but am pleased to see no-one posting on this forum has reported a faulty one - having a forum that needs you to actually have a functioning PSN account helps keep the trolls away!

Edited by richtayls