Your top five PS4 100% completions

DaveMcDamage

This is about those 100% completions you got where you truly felt you got your moneys worth and wanted to continue even after unlocking that final trophy. I ask for 100% completions as there are some top games out there which are amazing but don't have a platinum. 

1: Yakuza Zero

I never started this saga until the PS4 gen and wow was I glad I saved it. To this day its one of the best structured games I have ever experienced in how each chapter brings something entirely new. For me personally it also has the best story and whilst others in the saga didn't feel as on par with Yakuza Zero, it was this game that edged me on all the time. Masterpiece. Yeah the RNG sucks and it can get cheap at times when it comes to the mini games, but this game has more real life sim and rpg feel to it than most games in those genres. 

2: Metal Gear Solid V

To think I almost left this game alone after hating MGS4. I'm honestly not a fan of Kojima's writing, I truly think he among the worst when it comes to character writing. But he knows how to make fun game play and this game... this f**king game.... Mwaaah! Just all the little things like infinite sprint, fast carrying, amazing weapons and customisation, made it feel like a proper army game but also remembered its still a video game and no one enjoys trawling through a jungle/desert at half a mile per hour whilst carrying a body. Once I nailed the platinum on this I then put serious time into the base infiltration mode and got another 20 hours gameplay out of it. Amazing game and whilst it feels choppy towards the end for me its Kojima's best game.

3: Witcher 3

The game which got better and better, then ended and then DLC expansions and did something that no other expansion had done before.... was even better than the main game. A must have play for anyone and one to savour every single moment.

4: Marvel's Spider-Man

Not since the first Arkham game has free-flow combat been so awesome, and because of Spidies environment and abilities it made for some awesome combat. Quite possibly the best Spider-Man story I have experienced from both animated and movie stories and the DLC was awesome too. A very enjoyable and proud completion. 

5: Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen. 

Whilst there's not many quirky stories or dialog in this game, nor is it the best story overall, this game has so many frikkin cool gaming moments for me. From upgrades to customisation to boss battles which for me were far more exciting than Dark Souls due to having various ways to beat them down rather than roll-hit-roll, the game was fantastic. Not to mention the awesome pawn system which added even more creativity to the game. Once I nailed that completion I knew it was gonna be a tough RPG to follow. 

Yours don't have to have mini reviews like mine, but having some reading material is always awesome. 

• Like 4

Actually, I only have one game that comes to my mind here.

Don't get me wrong, I played a lot of games on PS4 I really liked (most of the games in my list, actually) but didn't feel the need to play even more after getting all trophies. Except: Desperados III. I loved this game! Even though there are no trophies for playing the DLCs I enjoyed every minute of playing them. I also completed every badge besides speedruns, without getting a trophy for it, because this game is just a masterpiece imho. I can't really describe what it is but this game reminded me to just play a game for the fun and not for trophies. Highly recommend it!

Batman Arkham Knight

- challenge maps here are criminal, especially the community ones

Assassin's Creed 4 Black Flag

- online grind was a ps3 era tacked on multiplayer flashback

Persona 5

- huge multitasking, mess one thing and everything is over, 100 hours wasted

The Last Guardian

- not a fan of having to play the game over and over again

Bloodborne

- the chalice dungeons and the DLC are what nightmares are made of

I named these because if I had to do them over again, I wouldn't

Edited by LockheedPrime

Great topic! 

My personal ones are easy to quantify, as I buy digitally, and almost always delete a game after 100% - there are only a few games that get saved in a special folder for future plays, because even the 100% isn’t enough for me :) 

1. Hitman (1, then 2, now 3)

I will never tire of replaying those levels, and IO adding all previous content into each new game means Hitman 3 is now one of the most enormous games ever. They get supported for ages afterwards with new targets etc. But even without those, user created challenges mean the games literally never stop changing and getting more interesting.

2. Invisible Inc.

Roguelikes are always repeatable by nature, and this stealth tactics one is the best I’ve ever played. I don’t imagine I will ever tire of it.

3. Dead Cells

another roguelike, this time a metriodvania platformer one, and again, its cyclical nature and hundreds of weapon combos means it never gets old. Doesn’t hurt that the controls and combat are tight as fuck and brilliant.

4. Prey

I’ve played this 6 or 7 times through now, and every time, it feels fresh. So many different ways to approach things, and so much variable in the story, means I can keep playing over and over.

5. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin

All the Dark souls games would count for this, but this is the one I go back to most consistently, as I love the variety of areas, and the weapon sets. 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

Hm. There are lots of games I loved, but ones I "wanted to continue even after unlocking that final trophy" are pretty rare. That makes me just want to list stuff like Undertale, where the platinum can be popped before you even get to the end of the game...

I'm just going to pick games that I still wanted to play after finishing.

1. XCOM 2. This might as well just be my favorite game of all time now. I could platinum it ten times over and still not get tired. The amount of content and replayability here, even without PC mods, is phenomenal.
  2. Dark Souls. Cop out, but I'd put the whole Souls series here. I'm actually most tired of the first one, just because I've played it so many times. But just like XCOM 2, I feel I could keep playing it over and over and always discovering new things and ways to play.
  3. Slay the Spire. The devs could've been devilish with this title, but they put platinum/DLC requirements that make you work for it but still want to keep playing. If I ever have the time, I'd like to complete Ascension 20 with every character.
  4. Persona 5 Royal. I finished this game last summer and it still lingers in my mind as the most genuinely fun I've had in a game in a long time. Whereas I usually like games that give me a moderate challenge (see above), this was just an enjoyable experience that actually made me consider playing the original, even with less content and a more frustrating platinum.
  5. Kingdom Come: Deliverance. This is a hard one because I was exhausted after getting the 100%, but I'm putting it here instead of Skyrim because I feel it's the better game. Yeah, Skyrim is probably more fun (and this wouldn't be a contest at all if we were talking about PC), but KCD was such a refreshing game that I think it'd be hard to go back to Elder Scrolls now. I just can't take that series seriously.
  • Like 3

1. DRIVECLUB - Spent an entire month playing this and earning all trophies before the server shutdown at the end of March 2020. Had to learn a lot of driving techniques from the ground up, including drifting, but once I got these down pat it was smooth sailing from there. 

Online trophies didn’t need actual multiplayer (Driveclub Bikes has one direct online trophy), yet they were still a grind. DLC ranged from easy (All Stars) to difficult (Elements and AMG).

Loved my time with Driveclub, did both the main game and the bikes portion for a grand total of 179 trophies. Was quite a big undertaking but I was glad I got around to it. 

Now unobtainable and delisted. 

2. Batman: Arkham Knight - This was the first of the big undertakings I did. Finished up the story back in early 2016, but it took me over a year before I finally did the Community Challenges. I didn’t constantly try mind you, I played off and on. 

These are still the hardest challenges in my opinion out of the Batman Arkham series. Batman: Arkham City in comparison felt easier. Doing a Freeflow challenge with four characters without losing your combo once was not easy. Thanks to some helpful YouTube guides, I was eventually able to get them all done. The Iceberg Lounge challenge where you have to spawn Killer Croc was by far my favorite. 

3. Velocity 2X - Difficult, fast paced and hectic, but never unfair. 

This is a game that moves very fast and to score perfect in a level you have to break every piece of glass and not die once. Sounds like quite a challenge. You’re not wrong, but I had so much fun with this game I didn’t think about the difficulty or length. 

The DLC is a real ramp up in difficulty, especially the Dual Core DLC. Extremely tight time requirements on top of having to control two ships with one PS4 controller. Yes. Two ships that move parallel to each other. 

Loved every minute of this.

4. Mafia 3 - Not challenging as more as this was me trying to wade through the technicalities and glitchy bullshit this game threw out. 

A decent story in a game plagued with bugs. One of the trophies in the DLC glitches out on me forcing me to play the game offline. Every time you play while your console is connected you will be signing into the 2K servers. For some reason that prevented me from earning this trophy. 

Two playthroughs (Save and Kill Racket bosses) was unnecessary. Mafia 3 suffers from repetitiveness while offering little to no replay value. 

I ended up liking Lincoln Clay. The other cast wasn’t bad either. The 1960s era soundtrack? Pure gold, I wish music nowadays sounded half as good as this. 

But I will never replay this game again. I guess some of the trophies are now unobtainable unless you revert to an earlier patch. 

5. Bloodborne - To this day my favorite PS4 exclusive. 

Awesome game, impressive atmosphere, worldly bosses. Had some difficulty in some areas, particularly the chalice dungeons with Amygdala and the Cleric Beast. Some of the weapons required a guide to find. 

The DLC ended with an epic battle with Orphan of Kos. 

Can’t recommend this enough.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

1. Dirt Rally 2

2nd ever plat achiever, 4th ever finishing ...flatout, managed to get some world records on my journey though this one, my best racer to date, love this game and all the DLC, my only problem with this game was it was too easy to plat, but then they released the Flatout DLC and I fell in love all over again, one of the rare games I played weeks after all trophies were earned, 9/10 game for me personally 

2. Batman: Arkham Knight 

the same boat as you @AJ_Radio, except it took me a lot longer to get back into it after I earned the plat years before lol though I don’t really know why I put it off so long, sure Community Challenges was hard but not so hard to leave it that long, but it comes at no2 because of this, though a nice way to round off the series by earning its hardest trophy, loved the Arkham series

3. Remnant: From The Ashes

my top 3 games of last year, with some challenging DLC later added which also added tons of new gear to loot and upgrade, this game hooked me, again was one of the rare games I played for a while after all trophies were earned, huge replay factor, amazing game, I urge anyone who hasn’t played it to start

4. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard 

love the rezi series so got to throw one in, and what better than the one with the most DLC, and probably hardest overall 100% in the RE series? lots of diverse DLC, I enjoyed 21, such a satisfying way to play a card game, much less boring than the card game grind RDR2 had to offer... tho RDR2 rounds up my top 3 GOTY for last year, minus the unnecessary online portion, which is also garbage, but the sp mode is as usual, a masterpiece

5. The Evil Within

to be honest I could have thrown a bunch in to this list, I decided to opt for games that all include DLC as this is a 100% list as opposed to a standard plat list, but this game didn’t and still doesn’t get the love it deserves, it was amazing, if anyone likes horrors and hasn’t played TEW then go get it, this game was class, Laura and The Keeper were some of the most memorable boss encounters to me, and one of the DLC even let you play as a boss, all the DLC’s were great, the Akumu mode was hard, which adds the justification for it being here as well as how good the game was, it was either this or ResoGun, shoulda make the list top 10 lol but anyway that’s me, I’d probably change the bottom 2 slots every day if you asked me again and again lol 

PS. The Orphan Of Kos fight will forever be one of my favourite bosses, your not wrong that was an epic fight, I didn’t add Bloodborne because I’m sour none of the Dark Souls games had DLC trophies to show off, but this genre remains my favourite

Edited by Shmeefly

I always have trouble with short lists like "Top 5" or "Top 10" something or other, but here are games I played or still play after getting 100% of the trophies.

1) XCOM 2: I fell in love with the franchise while playing Enemy Unknown thanks to PS+, and it's definitely my go to game whenever I feel like playing something but don't know what. Come to think of it, it's been a while, I should remedy this. Also rather proud of being first to 100% this game (here at least), as I couldn't compete for first to plat because of my travelling a lot for work around its release.

2) Invisible Inc.: Another game I discovered through PS+, and another love story. The replayability is as insane as XCOM's and the setting is almost perfect.

3) Nioh 2: I played the first Nioh out of curiosity because I read somewhere it was inspired by a never filmed script from Akira Kurosawa. Didn't find that much Kurosawa in it, but I loved the gameplay and the setting. By allowing you to play a custom character, Nioh 2 emphasises gameplay over story, and that actually didn't bother me one bit, pretty much the opposite. I just love the mindless fighting, and find it pretty relaxing.

4) The Witcher 3: I must have played 4 or 5 full campaigns of the game, plus some partial runs, and it's the only 100% I got twice on the same platform. Might go for a PS5 version if there is one.

5) The Last of Us Remastered: The story is great, obviously, but I had played it so much on PS3 that I think my Grounded and Grounded plus playthroughs on the remastered version were my 7th and 8th, or 8th and 9th (seemed almost easy...), but I found real pleasure in rediscovering the game nonetheless, and the multiplayer is one of my favourites (with RDR and Max Payne 3).

Honourable mention to games I enjoyed getting the 100% for but do not necessarily intend to play again in a foreseeable future: Alien Isolation, Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2, For Honour, Dragon Age: Inquisition (I did play it more than once and played quite a lot of the MP, so it might have made the list).

• Like 1