Did anyone else notice how similar the first few hours are to RE7? (slight spoilers)

I know a lot of people are comparing this game to RE4 and for good reason. But I also noticed that the first few hours of this game also felt very similar to RE7. For example, in both games at the end of the prologue Ethan is knocked out and dragged to a different location where you are introduced to the characters that you will have to deal with later on. Another thing I noticed that after the prologue in RE7 you're stuck inside the Baker's house and need to explore to collect keys to unlock the front door. While this is happening you're also being hunted down by Jack. In Village, shortly after the prologue you're tapped inside a castle and need to find a series of keys to unlock the front door. While this is happening Lady Dimitrescu is hunting you down just like Jack in RE7. It is also during the castle section where Ethan looses a hand, kind of like he did in RE7. Finally, both Jack and Lady Dimitrescu turn into mutated monsters, although for Jack this happens much later. That is just what I noticed. Did anyone else noticed similarities to RE7?

• Like 3

The similarities to RE7 are there I'm sure, I don't really see it myself. This whole game is a love letter to RE4 fans much like myself. The beginning is almost exactly like RE4, trapped in a village and an endless amount of enemies in their packs are converging on your position. A bell tolls and they get summoned to their master.

The rest of the game is littered with RE4 references and callbacks in it's level design, enemy design and progression of gameplay. 

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

The similarities to RE7 are there I'm sure, I don't really see it myself. This whole game is a love letter to RE4 fans much like myself. The beginning is almost exactly like RE4, trapped in a village and an endless amount of enemies in their packs are converging on your position. A bell tolls and they get summoned to their master.

The rest of the game is littered with RE4 references and callbacks in it's level design, enemy design and progression of gameplay. 

I have played Re7(absolutely loved it), Re2R(Liked it initially but loved it upon revisiting one year post launch), Re3r(fun but pretty dumb and not remarkable overall), Re8(Extremely disappointing from a story and character standpoint, mixed on gameplay and felt that it tried too hard to maintain a balance between action and survival horror and failed to excel in either). I bought Re4 ages ago but now am skeptical if I would even like it since all the fans say Re8 is a love letter to Re4 but I am hearing differing opinions across the board. What you think personally? 

2 hours ago, abhinandhan22 said:

I have played Re7(absolutely loved it), Re2R(Liked it initially but loved it upon revisiting one year post launch), Re3r(fun but pretty dumb and not remarkable overall), Re8(Extremely disappointing from a story and character standpoint, mixed on gameplay and felt that it tried too hard to maintain a balance between action and survival horror and failed to excel in either). I bought Re4 ages ago but now am skeptical if I would even like it since all the fans say Re8 is a love letter to Re4 but I am hearing differing opinions across the board. What you think personally? 

I think RE4 is a masterpiece in game design and is in a league of it's own. I encourage you to play it and experience it for yourself so you can form your own opinion on it much like you have formed your own opinion on the recent RE games.

I find it interesting to read your comments about Village as I consider Village to be RE4 but in first person. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

I think RE4 is a masterpiece in game design and is in a league of it's own. I encourage you to play it and experience it for yourself so you can form your own opinion on it much like you have formed your own opinion on the recent RE games.

I find it interesting to read your comments about Village as I consider Village to be RE4 but in first person. 

Yeah ill definitely play it and its not like I hated village but I think ill take break before playing 4(maybe before the remake gets released in the future)

You should play RE4. As many say it's amazing game. 

Even if you might not fall head over heels for it it's just good to experience one of the most influential third person games ever. It's really good! 

I may be in minority, but I always liked that kinda cheesy anime-quality plot of RE, RE7 was such a big departure from whole series, it took itself way too seriously. 

• Like 1

Just give control of the flashlight, I knew when this was in the upper 38 gbs somethings up. (thats low compared to most big games), and i believe smaller than 7.   So far this game has been, just what that guy said, failing at action n horror by trying to hard, just do one or the other...   Still enjoy it, but if you can't be critical of something, there's no freedom of speech.    The brightness and graphics lighting wise are a slap in the damn face, its 2021.  Its like they got lazy.  7 pulled me in a lot more, storywise, characters, setting. .  Lets all be honest, re4 is great but its gets too much hype imo.  I look at games like dead space or evil within, and think, how can your lighting, flashlight idea be so damn aweful?  Again it ps5/4 2021, no more giving these games excuses.

I feel like the game lacks good color in most environments. 

You can make an entire drinking game out of what looks like a RE 4 reference it's almost hilarious. I think it was at the factory section where it was kinda annoying of how the introduced the enemies similar to Regenarators. 

In regards of RE 7 , there is also that bit at the end where it kinda "switches" around, but that is a spoiler territory.