Can Gunsmith be done in one playthrough?

AFAIK you need to do it in two playthroughs. It's best to do it with one of the weapons you find on Mars. The sniper rifle & shotgun are pretty easy to find on the mission as they're basically on the main path. You'll be able to upgrade them to level 10 on an imported save (NG+) It'll only take like half an hour to get to a point where you are able to upgrade your weapons if you skip all the dialogue etc.

The OG you could do it through MP but that's not an option anymore.

Edited by xZoneHunter
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tripple_Barnett said:

I'm confused. I can only upgrade to 7 at the start of new game plus. Do I have to play a lot of the game to be able to get to level 10?

Once you beat Mars and get to Normandy, you should be able to upgrade to level 10. At least that's how I did it. You might need a weapon that's upgraded to level 5 before you start new game+ maybe? Also, for some reason, my weapons automatically upgraded from level 5 to 8 during the Mars mission on new game+. I have no idea what that's about.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Foremanskin said:

Once you beat Mars and get to Normandy, you should be able to upgrade to level 10. At least that's how I did it. You might need a weapon that's upgraded to level 5 before you start new game+ maybe? Also, for some reason, my weapons automatically upgraded from level 5 to 8 during the Mars mission on new game+. I have no idea what that's about.

Thanks. I figured it out that I needed to pick up the gun again when it automatically went to level 8 after I picked it up. 

So this only works strictly with NG+? Right? Beating the game and then importing a new Shepard from ME2 won't work, right? It only strictly works if you re-import the completed ME3 file Shepard back into a new ME3 file?

Just want to make sure because I was planning on doing my Insanity run with a separate Shepard. I guess worst case, as mentioned above, it doesn't take long to get the trophy, so I guess it's not a big deal either way.

Recommended that you raise your Vindicator to Level 5 in your first playthrough since you will get another Vindicator on your second right away (two upgrades actually) so by the time you finish Mars you will have a Vindicator Level 7 and only need to spend very little to raise it to 10. It was very cheap to finish that gun, about 15k for 8-10.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Couga83 said:

Strange that they streamlined the trophy lists for all three games to be completable in one playthrough, except for this one trophy.

Agreed, a little disappointed as well. As silly as it sounds, I had hoped to complete all 3 in 1 go and keep my trophy list in order back-to-back platinums, now I will have completed the Legendary Edition extra list 100% before finishing ME3. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cinderkin said:

Agreed, a little disappointed as well. As silly as it sounds, I had hoped to complete all 3 in 1 go and keep my trophy list in order back-to-back platinums, now I will have completed the Legendary Edition extra list 100% before finishing ME3. 

Well, we just have to play for two hours at most in the NG+, if we make it fast. We just have to complete Mars and the first visit on Citadel, before we can upgrade weapons (with enough money). 

On 6/3/2021 at 4:56 PM, Cinderkin said:

This isn't silly, I do the same thing. Love stacking things in order on my profile if I can help it; it just looks nice! I realized, nearly at the last second, that doing the Insanity glitch meant my games might not stack on my profile the way I was hoping. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it would be nice. I stopped meleeing enemies immediately, and noticed I was at 90/100. With the 4 required in the ME3 tutorial (twice), and accidentally meleeing one enemy in my ME3 playthrough, I finished my third plat with 99/100 melee kills lol. Got lucky enough to stack it that way.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cherrywood said:

So if I'm using the Spectre weapons (which are only available in the store, right?), I basically have to spend money to also level up another weapon that I can then find and pick up in another playthrough?

I leveled up the sniper rifle you find on mars from 1 to 10. WHen you pick it up, it makes it level 4.i think, and then I leveled it up 6 times to 10.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, AerisFlowerGirl said:

This isn't silly, I do the same thing. Love stacking things in order on my profile if I can help it; it just looks nice! I realized, nearly at the last second, that doing the Insanity glitch meant my games might not stack on my profile the way I was hoping. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it would be nice. I stopped meleeing enemies immediately, and noticed I was at 90/100. With the 4 required in the ME3 tutorial (twice), and accidentally meleeing one enemy in my ME3 playthrough, I finished my third plat with 99/100 melee kills lol. Got lucky enough to stack it that way.

I considered saving the trilogy save on a USB, then saving right before the end of my ME3 run. Get the platinum from upgrading my weapon, and put my trilogy save back and then beat the last mission again, and see if that stacks it correctly.