A few questions about PS5 Upgrades

DrBloodmoney

Hi Chaps and Chapesses.

First off - apologies if the questions I have here are answered elsewhere - I can't find definitive answers if they are. (I was going to do this as a status update, but it was getting unwieldy, hence the new topic.)

With a PS5 now (apparently) on its way to me, I'm looking at the mountain of games currently unfinished, and unplayed, on my PS4, and have a few queries about which ones to transfer across before playing.

(I have almost 3TB of games on my PS4, 2TB of which is on an external WD drive, and 1TB on the internal storage)

So my questions are:

1. Is there an easy, one-stop type list somewhere showing all the games that have PS5 upgrades available for free?
  2. If a game does not have a specifically made 'PS5 upgrade', does it still have any benefit to being played on PS5?
  3. If I simply unplug my WD drive from the PS4, then plug it into the PS5, will it be recognised?
  4. If so, will I be able to play any of the PS4 games directly off it, or will even they need to be copied over to the PS5 internal drive before playing?
  5. Is there any larger drives that can be used as increased, playable' capacity for the PS5 yet?
  6. Is every game that has a PS5 Upgrade also graced with a new trophy list?

Would appreciate any guidance from any PS5 veterans out there!

• Like 1

1. I don't know. I assume it exists though 

2. Yes, besides the load times there are improvement across the board. https://www.psu.com/news/guide-all-ps4-games-that-perform-better-on-ps5/ I believe these improvements are actually just PS4 pro modes running on a PS5 though. I didn't have a pro so I can't comment if it could do this but the PS5 definitely can.

3. Yes.

4. It plays directly off it.

5. Internally no, can you buy external drives bigger than 2TB, probably

6. If by upgrade you mean an actual PS5 version then Yes as there are no shared lists with PS5. If by upgrade you mean a specific PS5 patch for a PS4 game like the Last of Us ptII just got, no its just a patch so you are still playing the same game ie same list.

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1

1. Wikipedia has a list of ps5 games and there is a column that has ps5 upgrade, as well as autopop.

2. depends on the game. I know MH:Iceborne is better frames. Load times for all games are quicker.

not sure about 3 to 6 as ive never used a external drive. havent needed to...

though i will be curious about the ssd expansion.... if i got a 2tb and then another ps5. or a bigger drive one day, how easy would transfers be.. Cause those drives dont just get disconnected lol

• Like 1

@HusKy, @Infected Elite @Cleggworth

How can I possibly be out of Rep points - it's only 8am! ?

Thanks guys - comprehensive response, and very helpful- thank you!

Seems like basically I should check to see which games have actual PS5 free versions, and download them to the PS5 internal, and for everything else, just make sure it is on the WD drive, rather than the PS4 internal, so it can just be a straight 'swap-across', and will just keep the PS4 as a secondary console with all the VR stuff on it then ?

One final one - I don't know if any of you guys know, and I think I know the answer anyways but...

...do any of you know if it is even possible to transfer Hitman 3 across to the PS5 without auto popping everything?

I love the game more than is reasonable for a human to love an object, and so there is no way I want to miss out on future elusive targets and content in the best possible version, but would quite happily take advantage of the option to get all the trophies again legit if that is a possibility -

I know I could play it on a 'guest' account, though I really do want my proper profile to be on it, as I'm pretty high level, and all my self-made levels are associated with it... :hmm:

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

How can I possibly be out of Rep points - it's only 8am! ?

Setup a reminder for tomorrow. ;)xD

1 minute ago, DrBloodmoney said:

...do any of you know if it is even possible to transfer Hitman 3 across to the PS5 without auto popping everything?

I think you can wipe your progress if you log into IOI website. I read this somewhere on this forum but take it with a grain of salt as I haven't played the game myself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I think you can wipe your progress if you log into IOI website. I read this somewhere on this forum but take it with a grain of salt as I haven't played the game myself.

Yeah... I know about that - too extreme I think - I have a lot of rare stuff unlocked from things like special events, and the (now defunct ?) multiplayer mode, so I don't really want to go nuclear like that...

It's a fair point though.

I'm fine with auto pops as a concept really - I'm not an extremist - just was wondering if there was any clever way to do it without scunnering my current progress.

Guess not - oh well - not to worry - I'll still have about 100million player created contracts to bang my head against, even if the existing IOI stuff is already conquered... maybe I'll just start trying to get higher in the individual level leaderboards as my new challenge....

....with a truly concerted effort, and hundreds of hours of practice, and a stroke of luck, I might just about manage to make it to "slightly above the basic average" ??

Edited by DrBloodmoney

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

One final one - I don't know if any of you guys know, and I think I know the answer anyways but...

...do any of you know if it is even possible to transfer Hitman 3 across to the PS5 without auto popping 

there is some games such as Borderlands 3 in which you wont get every trophy you had to autopop. You only get a few. Sadly, Borderlands 3 isnt my fave and ive yet to touch any DLC. lol.

Even Control ps5 doesnt autopop unless you had the ultimate edition platinum... not the base game release. (Still mad about this but I can do a god mode 1 hit kill run really... lol)

So it really depends on the game and what the devs want

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

there is some games such as Borderlands 3 in which you wont get every trophy you had to autopop. You only get a few. Sadly, Borderlands 3 isnt my fave and ive yet to touch any DLC. lol.

Even Control ps5 doesnt autopop unless you had the ultimate edition platinum... not the base game release. (Still mad about this but I can do a god mode 1 hit kill run really... lol)

That's interesting - I'm not a Borderlands guys - I played the first one, but that was enough for me (there's only so many dozens of hours I can spend running backwards firing a shotgun before that gets old ?), but I did enjoy Control, and would happily play that one again from scratch - good shout!

Spiderman as well, I think - and FFVII R for sure - for the most part I'm not planning on Auto-popping for Auto-pop's sake, most of the games that have it as an option are games I would be more than happy to re-do anyways, but Hitman seems to be an outlier, in the sense that it isn't voluntary - everything is saved server-side, so Autopopping is automatic

Edited by DrBloodmoney

15 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

Control doesn't have save transfer at all -- no matter what version you own, you cannot auto pop trophies.

Edited by HusKy
  • Like 2

Just now, HusKy said:

Control doesn't have save transfer at all -- not matter what version you own, you cannot auto pop trophies.

oh. i didn't know that. I thought it was. Thanks for confirming. 

oh wait... isnt it also if i played Ultimate Edition on ps4, my not ultimate Edition ps4 copy save file won't work either right? 

either way I'll play the ps5 version eventually. 

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's interesting - I'm not a Borderlands guys - I played the first one, but that was enough for me (there's only so many dozens of hours I can spend running backwards firing a shotgun before that gets old 1f602.png), but I did enjoy Control, and would happily play that one again from scratch - good shout!

Spiderman as well, I think - and FFVII R for sure - for the most part I'm not planning on Auto-popping for Auto-pop's sake, most of the games that have it as an option are games I would be more than happy to re-do anyways, but Hitman seems to be an outlier, in the sense that it isn't voluntary - everything is saved server-side, so Autopopping is automatic

Yeah for like a minute yesterday i was bummed i sold my copy of Fallen Order, but then i was like, im not paying 30$ to autopop some shit... shiiit. lol. 

Outriders as far as i know autopops both ways due to it being online only/servers.

• Like 1

Just now, Infected Elite said:

Yeah for like a minute yesterday i was bummed i sold my copy of Fallen Order, but then i was like, im not paying 30$ to autopop some shit... shiiit. lol. 

I actually have this sitting, and haven't started it yet, so I guess I'll just get the updated PS5 version - that way I can not understand all the Star Wars lore in the glorious best-framerate-possible - and opposed to not understanding it at the standard PS4 framerate ??

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

I actually have this sitting, and haven't started it yet, so I guess I'll just get the updated PS5 version - that way I can not understand all the Star Wars lore in the glorious best-framerate-possible - and opposed to not understanding it at the standard PS4 framerate 1f602.png1f602.png

oddly when i played it, i didn't encounter the bugs and issues others posted about. Last game with bugs i played was Me1 stuck in things. and ME3 during the running parts, tons of trees popped in. Maybe due to ps5? idk.

But the game isnt that bad. Very average. Still would prefer 1313 or a 3rd Force Unleashed... enemy variety in Fallen Order is so meh..Mind you... aside from sith lords, the films only have stormtroopers ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Infected Elite said:

But the game isnt that bad. Very average. Still would prefer 1313 or a 3rd Force Unleashed... enemy variety in Fallen Order is so meh..Mind you... aside from sith lords, the films only have stormtroopers 1f602.png

Yeah - that's pretty much the gist I heard about the game - someone had said it was a little souls-esque, which was enough to make me take a punt on it during a sale - and I did quite like The Force Unleashed...

...though I haven't seen a Star Wars film since Episode One on the day it came out!

Remember when everyone left the Theatre, and said "That was poop-from-a-butt. I'm never seeing another one of these!"... and then they all reneged, forgave and forgot, and then started to pretend they never had said such a thing....

...I think I'm the last hold out, still sticking to my guns! ?

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Is there an easy, one-stop type list somewhere showing all the games that have PS5 upgrades available for free?

I use this website and they update it frequently: https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps4-to-ps5-all-games-with-confirmed-free-upgrades

~Enjoy the console.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 4:49 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

Hi Chaps and Chapesses.

First off - apologies if the questions I have here are answered elsewhere - I can't find definitive answers if they are. (I was going to do this as a status update, but it was getting unwieldy, hence the new topic.)

With a PS5 now (apparently) on its way to me, I'm looking at the mountain of games currently unfinished, and unplayed, on my PS4, and have a few queries about which ones to transfer across before playing.

(I have almost 3TB of games on my PS4, 2TB of which is on an external WD drive, and 1TB on the internal storage)

So my questions are:

1. Is there an easy, one-stop type list somewhere showing all the games that have PS5 upgrades available for free?
  2. If a game does not have a specifically made 'PS5 upgrade', does it still have any benefit to being played on PS5?
  3. If I simply unplug my WD drive from the PS4, then plug it into the PS5, will it be recognised?
  4. If so, will I be able to play any of the PS4 games directly off it, or will even they need to be copied over to the PS5 internal drive before playing?
  5. Is there any larger drives that can be used as increased, playable' capacity for the PS5 yet?
  6. Is every game that has a PS5 Upgrade also graced with a new trophy list?

Would appreciate any guidance from any PS5 veterans out there!

Hey DrBloodmoney, No answers from me but a big congratulations on getting the PS5. It's a bit lonely out here for people that have it.

• Like 1

Just now, Z1MZUM said:

Hey DrBloodmoney, No answers from me but a big congratulations on getting the PS5. It's a bit lonely out here for people that have it.

Haha, thanks mate - odd timing, I literally got an email 3 minutes ago telling me it's supposed to be delivered today!

So hopefully I should be staring confusedly at some HDMI cable and trying to figure out which ones connect to what behind the drywall this afternoon ?

• Like 1