Pure Bladestone in 2021

Tayste1985

This just dropped for me today 19/6/2021 after 2 years of farming for it.

This was my strategy:

Thief Ring

Graverobber's Ring

Talisman of Beasts

Soulsucker

Old Spice (in case you're too far and miss Soulsucker).

Create a save file in the tunnel before the Black Phantom.

Upload save file to PS+ cloud.

Now unfortunately it will only let you download your Demon's Souls save file once per 24 hours. And you cannot upload your save file to USB at all. So the strategy is to download your save file once per day.

I was going for an approach which accepts the fact this is an insanely low drop chance, and how can I save myself the most time possible?

With this strategy, I realised statistically I would probably get the trophy within a year. A compromise I decided was worth it so I wouldn't have to make the run all the way from the Old Hero Archstone, saving myself real life time.

So, nearly every day I downloaded my save file from the cloud and killed the Black Phantom. My strategy went unchanged, except at first I didn't bring Old Spice, and being out of range and missing Soulsucker was a wasted day - I'd simply switch my PS3 off because if you miss Soulsucker, there's no point. I couldn't kill it. If you go too close to the Black Phantom, also, consider it a lost day.

Good luck, don't give up!

57-D9-C2-D2-9-D6-E-461-C-A665-9-AD3-F24-

693-C8-ABC-6616-4737-A765-F5-E859-EC9237

6-FF04605-29-D1-4652-8105-F58-D2-C66-AAE

Edited by Tayste85
  • Like 1

Pump your Luck to 40+

Hold large Sword of Searching in Offhand

Thief Ring

Talisman of Beasts/Soulsucker spell

Naked everywhere else

Soulsuck him, grab loot, roll of cliff, rinse and repeat.

Still took me at least 40 hours for it to drop over 4 days. Other times I did it I got it in 3 hours. It is just luck unfortunately. 

On 22/06/2021 at 3:49 AM, Shady_Wombat said:

Pump your Luck to 40+

Thief Ring

Talisman of Beasts/Soulsucker spell

Naked everywhere else

Soulsuck him, grab loot, roll of cliff, rinse and repeat.

Still took me at least 40 hours for it to drop over 4 days. Other times I did it I got it in 3 hours. It is just luck unfortunately. 

With my strategy you don't have any travel time running from Archstones to the Black Phantom.  Which is why I used this strategy. You're always right there at the Black Phantom.

58 minutes ago, Tayste85 said:

With my strategy you don't have any travel time running from Archstones to the Black Phantom.  Which is why I used this strategy. You're always right there at the Black Phantom.

It's probably a 20 second walk from the nearest archstone, though. With having to re-download your cloud save every day, I honestly don't think you saved any real-world time.

• Like 2

On 27/06/2021 at 1:32 PM, Xylobe said:

It's probably a 20 second walk from the nearest archstone, though. With having to re-download your cloud save every day, I honestly don't think you saved any real-world time.

Its quite a trek from Old Hero Archstone. Way longer than 20 seconds. Perhaps time it. DL cloud save is instant. 

I may or may not have saved real world time, it was more from a psychological standpoint. I knew statistically it should take around 200 days - less than a year. It took 2 years because I didn't do it every day.

But it was such a great feeling psychologically. This is such a grind to just farm for. That route from Old Hero Archstone is very long. Time it. Then after that evacuating back to the hub, then back to Old Hero Archstone..

With a system in place of literally just logging in once a day and killing the Black Phantom. I achieved the platinum without any grinding for pure bladestone.

Edited by Tayste85

On 6/21/2021 at 10:49 PM, Shady_Wombat said:

Pump your Luck to 40+

This information is incorrect and will make finding Pure Bladestone statistically more difficult. All item discovery does is increase the probability an item will drop; it has zero effect on the rarity of the item. This makes finding common items more common and finding rare items more rare.

• Like 1

On 01/07/2021 at 9:01 PM, KlyeKlyeKlye said:

Alternatively you can connect to the DeS Archstones server and ask someone to drop it for you if it's taking too long.

My method works with no Demon's Souls server. Maybe 1 day DeS won't be running anymore. 

I didn't know about that method though, didn't know there was a private server.

Edited by Tayste85

• 4 months later...
33 minutes ago, L0rdAceX said:

Anyone reading this in 2021 onward, leave your luck stat alone and at the very minimum. It will only make your life harder. 

Unironically true. I went high luck on my EU copy and it took probably about 14 hours of grinding. Went lower on NA and AS and it took maybe 3.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 0:42 PM, Tayste85 said:

Its quite a trek from Old Hero Archstone. Way longer than 20 seconds. Perhaps time it. DL cloud save is instant. 

I may or may not have saved real world time, it was more from a psychological standpoint. I knew statistically it should take around 200 days - less than a year. It took 2 years because I didn't do it every day.

But it was such a great feeling psychologically. This is such a grind to just farm for. That route from Old Hero Archstone is very long. Time it. Then after that evacuating back to the hub, then back to Old Hero Archstone..

With a system in place of literally just logging in once a day and killing the Black Phantom. I achieved the platinum without any grinding for pure bladestone.

It takes about 20 seconds from the Adjudicator archstone.   Can do hundreds of attempts over several hours. 

• 4 months later...
On 21/11/2021 at 6:36 PM, maisie666 said:

It takes about 20 seconds from the Adjudicator archstone.   Can do hundreds of attempts over several hours. 

I didn't know there is a better route from the Adjudicator Archstone. I will have to check that out for curiosity.

Edited by Tayste85

36 minutes ago, Burgins said:

What leads to this discrepancy?

As stated above (and in pretty much every place discussing drop rates for over a decade), Luck doesn't increase the chance of a rare drop, just the probability that an item could drop. This means common items are more common, and rare items become more rare.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Burgins said:

What leads to this discrepancy?

Same as the above post says. Luck increases the chance that an enemy will drop an item. Any item, that they can drop anyway. The enemy that can drop the Pure Bladestone already has a 100% chance to drop an item, of which are

• Bladestone shard (common)
  • Bladestone chunk (rare)
  • Pure Bladestone (very rare)
  • His sword (forgot the name) (rare, can drop alongside something else)
  • Soul Remains (common, replaces one of the chunks I believe)

By increasing luck, you are essentially increasing the chance that he will drop an item (which is already a 100% chance) and maybe the chance that he'll drop his weapon, since that doesn't affect the Bladestone drop. Because of the weird calculations in the background of the game, increasing luck will make the common items even more common, which decreases the chance of getting a rare item as a result. Therefore, lower luck is more optimal for this farm.

Apologies if I've missed anything, haven't played the game in a while.