So... now that I finally have obtained one... (yes. it's another 'I have questions' thread)

SelectiveGamer

Sorry but it's true. It's another 'I have finally obtained PS5 and now I have several questions' thread.

The version I managed to get... was Disc Edition. Which is the one I wanted. I haven't actually received it yet but I figured I'd might as well ask now before I actually get/receive it.

First of all... can I use an external HD on it now? I remember that when it first came out there were lots of reports with problems with using one on it or that it bricked the console or that it wouldn't work at all. Have those issues been fixed finally? I really need to use an external HD because I needed one for my PS4 and there's no doubt I'll need one for PS5.

If so... is there a specific kind of external HD that I need to buy/get or can any of them work on it now?

Also... since I have Disc Edition... how convoluted/complicated is it to upgrade to PS5 versions? Do I just put in my physical PS4 disc and maybe it's just easy after that? I certainly hope so. Although honestly... right now... about the only game I want the PS5 Upgrade for is Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Part 1) so I can get Intergrade. I have the physical PS4 version for Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Part 1) with the 2 discs. How do I upgrade it to the Intergrade/PS5 Upgrade?

I'm sorry I created another one of these. Really. I am. But I just want to have my bases covered and not brick/break it the moment I start using it. ?

Also feel free to give me other information about PS5 that you think I should know/be aware of.

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thanks everyone.

9 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Sorry but it's true. It's another 'I have finally obtained PS5 and now I have several questions' thread.

The version I managed to get... was Disc Edition. Which is the one I wanted. I haven't actually received it yet but I figured I'd might as well ask now before I actually get/receive it.

First of all... can I use an external HD on it now? I remember that when it first came out there were lots of reports with problems with using one on it or that it bricked the console or that it wouldn't work at all. Have those issues been fixed finally? I really need to use an external HD because I needed one for my PS4 and there's no doubt I'll need one for PS5.

If so... is there a specific kind of external HD that I need to buy/get or can any of them work on it now?

Also... since I have Disc Edition... how convoluted/complicated is it to upgrade to PS5 versions? Do I just put in my physical PS4 disc and maybe it's just easy after that? I certainly hope so. Although honestly... right now... about the only game I want the PS5 Upgrade for is Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Part 1) so I can get Intergrade. I have the physical PS4 version for Final Fantasy 7 Remake (Part 1) with the 2 discs. How do I upgrade it to the Intergrade/PS5 Upgrade?

I'm sorry I created another one of these. Really. I am. But I just want to have my bases covered and not brick/break it the moment I start using it. 1f613.png

Also feel free to give me other information about PS5 that you think I should know/be aware of.

I'd really appreciate any help with this. Thanks everyone.

As far as I know, most if not all of the issues with the external drives and wired ethernet bricking systems was fixed in early firmware updates.

You can use external drives now to store ps5 games, but you cannot play ps5 games off an external drive. You can store and play ps4 games on an external.

Any external drive should work.

When you put your disc in the drive, next to the play button, there's a 3 dots button, you select that and choose the option product information. That will take you to the ps store page for that game, and you press the three dots again on the store page. It will give you various versions of the game including the one that will be "Final Fantasy VII remake upgrade for PS4 owners." Just select that for a free purchase and download.

You will need your ps4 disc in the drive any time you want to play it

• Like 2

Hard drives do work but you can only play PS4 games off them, and you lose some of the benefits that the PS5 would give, like faster loading, Unsure if there are brand restrictions, You can store PS5 games on them, but they'd need to be transferred back to the SSD to play 

When you put in an upgradable disc, there may be a square you see saying "Free ps5 upgrade" if not, then if you are aware that it is currently available, you can press the 3 dots to find the ps5 version or search in the PS Store. The game will download as if it's digital, but will require the disc to verify it.

You should be aware to always use the stand because there is practically no friction on that thing how ever you position it and to PLAY BUGSNAX. (Not even a joke until R&C came out it was my favourite ps5 game)

9 minutes ago, Meekulator said:

Hi mate, I have used a seagate 1tb external hdd from day one and its been fine but I never put my console in rest mode. From what I heard it was rest mode that screwed the consoles over. It would probably be fine but I don't wanna risk it.

I put mine into rest mode frequently and have used an external drive the whole time. I don't know if I have put it into rest mode while playing something off the external drive but I probably have. The way I've been using mine mostly is that I have a huge portion of games downloaded onto the external drive. Then I pick out a few games I want to work on and I move them to the internal drive. I noticed right off the bat that there's a huge difference in loading times for most games when they are internal vs external. For example, in The Division 2, when playing with my friends, I could fast travel to where we were going, fast travel back, and then fast travel again, and still beat them there from their original fast travel. But when it moved it onto my external drive, I was loading at the same speed as them again. So any game that I've been focusing on, I've always taken the time to move to the internal drive. I can't wait until they patch in the ability to add an expanded internal drive. 

Edited by Spacey Dweeb

That's... not exactly what I was hoping for but clearly I have to deal with it.

I'm not even going to try messing with the inside of my new PS5 to expand it's SSD storage. I'm too afraid I'll break something and that voids the warranty.

I guess this is going to be another PS3 situation where I have to delete games and just reinstall them if I want to replay them.

That's... honestly annoying... ?

Sony will be coming out with a patch as late as August possibly to allow the PS5 to use its expansion slot. That process should be as simple as pulling off one of the faceplates which is super easy to do and then inserting an applicable storage card in.

I will ring in about the external drive. I got my PS5 2 weeks after release and have been using an external drive the whole time and even had put it in rest mode with no issue. The only issue I have had with the external drive is when I tried playing Assassins Creed Syndicate I could not launch it while it was on the external drive. I tried a couple times and my PS5 crashed both times. Once I put Syndicated on the SSd it launched fine. The game does have a flickering issue while playing it in Backwards compatibility.

23 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

Sony will be coming out with a patch as late as August possibly to allow the PS5 to use its expansion slot. That process should be as simple as pulling off one of the faceplates which is super easy to do and then inserting an applicable storage card in.

Like and SD card or a microSD card or something?

On 2021-06-24 at 5:46 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

Like and SD card or a microSD card or something?

The PS5 uses a specific type of SSD that looks more like a PC memory stick than an actual hard drive. There’s a slot that users can access to install one of these SSD’s however it’s not active at the moment and Sony hasn’t provided any guidance on which brands or models of these drives will be supported.

For PS4 games you can play them off an external USB3 hard drive or install / copy them to the internal storage. Brand and size basically doesn’t matter. I’m using a Seagate 4TB hard drive (not an SSD) that I’ve had for a few years now and it works just fine. You can also use an external drive as a place to store (but not play) PS5 games you may not be actively playing but don’t want to delete. I’ve had zero issues with external drives, sleep mode, etc on my PS5.