Having trouble in Janken's Castle

I'm stuck in Janken's Castle. I get a game over at the first green shower thing early in the level 90% of the time. Even when I do, I rarely leave with all three lives. If not there, I typically die in the final stretch just before the boss fight. I watch videos, but they all make it look so easy. I'm not sure what I can do to finish this damn level. Can't tell you the number of times I've redone it and not finished. I didn't have this much trouble with the first 19 levels.

Edited by MidnightDragon
  • Like 1

Just gotta be persistent. That first green curtain screen needs such a precise jump. I still can’t get it perfect every time, but the more you do it the better you’ll get at the pattern.

A lot of what comes after that is then a case of learning the room layouts, which you’ll get with practice. There’s a second green curtain room which looks just as rough, but you can cheese it by going up/down the ladder. Same with one of the later rooms that has falling walls that try and trap you.

Also, whilst I would recommend ignoring the hard-to-reach bonus blocks there are a couple of easy to access ones that can net you a ring and the invincibility powder. One is in the room where you need to do a long slide to get to it, the second is then in the bottom left of a room with static fire enemies

37 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

Just gotta be persistent. That first green curtain screen needs such a precise jump. I still can’t get it perfect every time, but the more you do it the better you’ll get at the pattern.

Feels nearly impossible. No matter how many times I try to get the timing down, I almost always fail and feels like any success is a fluke.

37 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

Also, whilst I would recommend ignoring the hard-to-reach bonus blocks there are a couple of easy to access ones that can net you a ring and the invincibility powder. One is in the room where you need to do a long slide to get to it, the second is then in the bottom left of a room with static fire enemies

Could you be a bit more specific on the box? I know where the ring is.

Edited by MidnightDragon

9 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Feels nearly impossible. No matter how many times I try to get the timing down, I almost always fail and feels like any success is a fluke.

Could you be a bit more specific on the box? I know where the ring is.

I always feel like a “short” press of the jump button helps get the timing better, although I know that shouldn’t really work as these are digital buttons…

As for the second power up, I want to say that it’s the room just before the second green curtain. It’s a really simple one to get to as it’s genuinely just the very bottom left of the screen. Contents varies depending on what items you already have, but if you haven’t used the ring from earlier I believe it’s the powder. Either that or it’s an extra life, which is still a very good reason to go for it… 

Edited by BGriff1986

3 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Finally beat Janken...thanks @BGriff1986 for the tips. I have mostly enjoyed the game. My next run is unlimited lives, so hopefully that helps.

Congrats! Your infinite lives playthrough will be a breeze compared to this first one. You’ll never game over so you can easily rack up cash and hoard items to help you smash through any of the boss fights

21 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

Congrats! Your infinite lives playthrough will be a breeze compared to this first one. You’ll never game over so you can easily rack up cash and hoard items to help you smash through any of the boss fights

Yea, expect this run to go a LOT smoother.

That green slime shower gave me a lot of trouble, also. You have just enough time to smash the bottom two blocks to clear your path. I finally got it and cleared the game... now I have the platinum also.

I missed Adventurer on my first playthrough, so I went for it on my 2nd. Oops. Better to find the secret island on your first... you can't go there and get all collectibles on the same run, because you'll bypass the rest of the Lake Fathom area and go directly to the Island of St. Nurari, bypassing the collectible in LF. So I had to scrap the 2nd run and begin a 3rd with infinite lives, just for the collectibles.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad to know I am not the only who has struggled on this level. I just spent 3 hours on it and I don't know how much further I have to go. I have got as far as right after where you get a extra life. I am trying to describe it the best I can. The room has 3 ladders at the bottom, but I am not sure how to get down there. There are 3 fireballs moving back and forth and a frog in the room.